PDA

View Full Version : Alpine CDA-9886 USB Compatibility list

skye3000
11-13-2008, 09:16 AM
I just bought an Alpine CDA-9886 with a built in USB port. I tried hooking up my external hard drive that I put together from a 2.5" 40GB drive and a Vantec USB external HDD case. I formatted it to a FAT32 using an HP HDD disk utility. I copied some songs to it and I get "No USB Unit" message. I didn't try a memory stick yet. I'm assuming it is a voltage problem from what I have bee reading on this forum.

Can someone post a list of what devices have worked for them? Don't say iPod. It's against my beliefs to buy one. I really am looking for a device 30GB or higher.

I also tried a Creative Zen Plus mp3 player to no avail.

Macklessdaddy
11-13-2008, 09:06 PM
I just bought an Alpine CDA-9886 with a built in USB port. I tried hooking up my external hard drive that I put together from a 2.5" 40GB drive and a Vantec USB external HDD case. I formatted it to a FAT32 using an HP HDD disk utility. I copied some songs to it and I get "No USB Unit" message. I didn't try a memory stick yet. I'm assuming it is a voltage problem from what I have bee reading on this forum.

Can someone post a list of what devices have worked for them? Don't say iPod. It's against my beliefs to buy one. I really am looking for a device 30GB or higher.

I also tried a Creative Zen Plus mp3 player to no avail.

I apologize in advance

But why do you guys need 30k songs at your disposal,Do you guys live in your cars?
What's wrong with say a 16gb flash drive (I use a 4)I just don't get it,Sorry I was no help

Fiercetimbo17
11-13-2008, 09:16 PM
the usb does not have enough power to power an enclosure through usb must be externally powered

GlocksRock
11-13-2008, 09:56 PM
get a small power inverter to power your enclosure, and it should work.

skye3000
11-14-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't actually NEED 30k songs. I only have 8000 songs. However it is a mere convenience. I already have the drive so I might as well use it instead of buying a 16GB usb memory stick for $40-50.

As far as powering the hard drive. I figured the headunit wouldn't power it. I am in the process of finding a 5 volt car adapter that I can tear apart and wire into the car. so far I checked at my local radiosnack and they don't have anything. The guy looked at me like I was from mars when I asked for a 5v adapter. I can get one from their website though.

for $hits and giggles I plugged in a usb hub and 2 usb memory sticks and the head unit didn't like it. I thought it was worth a shot. The next thing I want to try is plugging in my razr2 and seeing if that will work in USB mass storage device mode.

Macklessdaddy
11-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't actually NEED 30k songs. I only have 8000 songs. However it is a mere convenience. I already have the drive so I might as well use it instead of buying a 16GB usb memory stick for $40-50.

As far as powering the hard drive. I figured the headunit wouldn't power it. I am in the process of finding a 5 volt car adapter that I can tear apart and wire into the car. so far I checked at my local radiosnack and they don't have anything. The guy looked at me like I was from mars when I asked for a 5v adapter. I can get one from their website though.

for $hits and giggles I plugged in a usb hub and 2 usb memory sticks and the head unit didn't like it. I thought it was worth a shot. The next thing I want to try is plugging in my razr2 and seeing if that will work in USB mass storage device mode.

my deck plays my phones(motorizr)and (blackberry curve) just fine

Proximity
11-16-2008, 08:28 PM
What beliefs prohibit you form buying an ipod?

skye3000
11-17-2008, 08:18 AM
What beliefs prohibit you form buying an ipod?

hahaha. Good question. I feel that the iPod is over priced for what you get. It's success is based on the fact that people like to be trendy. I don't buy into trends because they usually end up costing you more than just buying what is good. Essentially, I won't follow the herd.

Proximity
11-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I think not following the herd just because it's the herd just as dumb as following the herd just because it is the herd. Either way you're a conformist, you're just conforming to different behaviors.

skye3000
11-17-2008, 09:10 AM
I think not following the herd just because it's the herd just as dumb as following the herd just because it is the herd. Either way you're a conformist, you're just conforming to different behaviors.

A conformist I may be. But like I said, for the money I can get way more pmp from Creative than I can from Apple.