PDA

View Full Version : Just installed my Pioneer TS-D 1720c's

BJ The Man
11-11-2008, 08:53 PM
I have to admit that they are much better than my stock comps. They have a nice loud tweeter that is surprisingly clear at high volumes, however, the mid-bass is very poor. My mids are in a sealed off environment that is pretty sound dead as this is how the stock speakers were and I still dont get much mid-bass.

I know these have been popular around here to some extent and I agree that for the money ($104.xx shipped to my door) you can't find much better. Just remember when you buy these that you're not getting $200 set of speakers.

Over all I'd say they just need some time to be played with and broken in and that they are a very solid set.

Feel free to ask questions about them and the such in this thread or to PM me.

I'll be giving a nice review when I get to mess around with them tomorrow and through this weekend.

mr.ikon
11-11-2008, 10:25 PM
I'll be getting these soon as well. But where have you found them for 104? Lowest price I've seen was 114 on ebay. And is 150 watts to each side good enough power?

wu501
11-12-2008, 09:25 AM
bj-what kind of amp are you using to power them? I've ran quite a few different set of comps and would have to say these are some of the best comps you can buy for 250 and under.

mr.ikon- i ran 120 watts per side and they sounded great. 150 might be a bit much so take it easy at first.

BJ The Man
11-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I'll be getting these soon as well. But where have you found them for 104? Lowest price I've seen was 114 on ebay. And is 150 watts to each side good enough power?

buy.com plus a coupon. Just search google for a coupon and you can find some.

bj-what kind of amp are you using to power them? I've ran quite a few different set of comps and would have to say these are some of the best comps you can buy for 250 and under.

mr.ikon- i ran 120 watts per side and they sounded great. 150 might be a bit much so take it easy at first.

I don't have an amp on them right now I will eventually with like 55watts rms maybe a more if I can get a new job.

150 might be pushing it

wu501
11-12-2008, 06:00 PM
buy.com plus a coupon. Just search google for a coupon and you can find some.

I don't have an amp on them right now I will eventually with like 55watts rms maybe a more if I can get a new job.

150 might be pushing it

So how can you even give any kind of worthwhile review when you aren't even powering them properly. You need at least 80 watts per side to even start to see the performance they are capable of.

Supergumby5000
11-12-2008, 06:03 PM
you are giving a review based off of these running off of a headunit?

....:wow:

I guess everyone has their own opinions, but this is the best component set ive ever owned.

And your midbass comment really surprises me, because i have excellent midbass. How are your doors deadened?

GAM3OVR
11-12-2008, 06:06 PM

I guess everyone has their own opinions, but this is the best component set ive ever owned.

And your midbass comment really surprises me, because i have excellent midbass. How are your doors deadened?

x2

BJ The Man
11-12-2008, 06:07 PM

In new wranglers the speakers are mounted in plastic enclosures probably .25cf. So the speaker is in a closed off environment which is pretty dead IMO.

Like I said earlier, I will be waiting to write a review until the end of this week because I need more time to play with them.

I also failed to mention that I will be giving them around 55wrms tomorrow probably. So yes i will be amping them and messing with the crossovers.

Supergumby5000
11-12-2008, 06:09 PM
In new wranglers the speakers are mounted in plastic enclosures probably .25cf. So the speaker is in a closed off environment which is pretty dead IMO.

Like I said earlier, I will be waiting to write a review until the end of this week because I need more time to play with them.

I also failed to mention that I will be giving them around 55wrms tomorrow probably. So yes i will be amping them and messing with the crossovers.

Most door speakers arent made to be in small sealed enclosures. that could be the reason you lack midbass.

GAM3OVR
11-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Most door speakers arent made to be in small sealed enclosures. that could be the reason you lack midbass.

truf

Supergumby5000
11-12-2008, 06:12 PM
truf

are you just going to continually quote me, or actually say something useful?

GAM3OVR
11-12-2008, 06:15 PM
my 2.5 RS came with enclosud plastic pods for front comps and it sounded like shiet

until I removed them, deadned the doors and ran them free air

Now it's much more better.

and I doubt you have .25 cubic feet in those pods

XHiFiX
11-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Cut out the back of those plastic enclosures so the mids can play infinite baffle and if you can, you should make some MDF mounting brackets.

BJ The Man
11-12-2008, 06:37 PM
my 2.5 RS came with enclosud plastic pods for front comps and it sounded like shiet

until I removed them, deadned the doors and ran them free air

Now it's much more better.

and I doubt you have .25 cubic feet in those pods

They are rather large and were a bish to get out. My measurements on them say right around .25 too.

I'll be amping them tomorrow so im sure I will like them more. I mean how can I not like them for $104

wu501
11-12-2008, 07:23 PM
from the sounds of your install a 800 dollar set of comps wouldn't impress you much either..

Supergumby5000
11-12-2008, 07:26 PM
from the sounds of your install a 800 dollar set of comps wouldn't impress you much either..

:word:

a wrangler seems like it would be a tough project though, in terms of SQ, without mucho custom fabbing.

BJ The Man
11-12-2008, 10:02 PM
I absolutely do not have money for custom fabbing. If I did you can be sure I wouldn't have bought $100 speakers.

Don't get me wrong by any means though, it sounds great. I just know they can be much better once I amp them and get the crossovers right.

The reason I even said anything about them while on HU power is because I happen to know people who are considering these and don't plan on using an amp for them.

bigbangtheory
11-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Jesus, learn how to make a review mang.

The 720's do fine in the mid-bass department and I only had 50rms to each side, thanks crappy amp that I had. Thing is with the 50rms, they sounded wonderful, but did have my doors deadened fairly well.

Take them out of that plastic enclousure, deaden doors the right way and enjoy the cheap set of speakers that sound better than a lot of 200 dollar componet sets.

Also I know you could do this if you can build a custom box. Come on now.

Supergumby5000
11-13-2008, 08:55 PM
I absolutely do not have money for custom fabbing. If I did you can be sure I wouldn't have bought $100 speakers.

Don't get me wrong by any means though, it sounds great. I just know they can be much better once I amp them and get the crossovers right.

The reason I even said anything about them while on HU power is because I happen to know people who are considering these and don't plan on using an amp for them.

Well, they are idiots :laugh:

If they are gonna give crap power to their speakers, they might as well buy crap speakers. Its just a big waste of potential, especially in the aspects of these drivers.

People should know better to try to make a 60RMS component speaker sound optimal on 12-15rms

GAM3OVR
11-13-2008, 08:56 PM
They are rather large and were a bish to get out. My measurements on them say right around .25 too.

I'll be amping them tomorrow so im sure I will like them more. I mean how can I not like them for $104

:crap:

headless
11-13-2008, 09:28 PM
1. Buy an amp. You are pushing ~ 10 watts to those speakers; do you really expect midbass output from 10 watts? That's enough to get some tweeters playing reasonably, but it isn't going to generate **** for midbass from those midwoofers.

2. Remove the plastic. All of it. I mean ****ing tear it off. Plastic is not accoustically 'dead'. It vibrates and ****ing ***** *** as a mounting point/baffle. Mounting your speaker to a plastic baffle is like ****ing a dead hooker. It just isn't any ****ing good.

3. Put some deadening on the skins of your doors. Even spending the money on 6-8sq foot per door will make a huge difference. You need the doors not to vibrate like they are having a ****ing epileptic seizure every time your speakers play a note below 150hz.

4. Mount the speakers to your door using an MDF baffle. You need to maximize the mass around the driver to try and minimize vibrations. Do not place them in a 'sealed pod'. They aren't designed to run in a small *** sealed enclosure, they are designed to run in an infinite baffle setup.

You will not get **** for midbass as long as they are in a sealed plastic pod that is mounted to your door. You need the speakers mounted to the (deadened as much as possible) metal door frame through a nice beefy MDF baffle.

It'll take you 5$ of wood, 30$ of deadening and an hour.

Then return and let us know how you like them.

lyttleviet
11-14-2008, 01:26 AM
I was pretty impressed with them for that price range.. I do however like the ARC set for 10-20 bucks more.

mr.ikon
11-14-2008, 02:50 AM
which arc set is it that you speak of?

BJ The Man
11-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Alright I just finished amping them and getting some tuning done. Then I cut out the back of the plastic pods and them deadened them and the areas around them. Absolutely beautiful sounding speakers with 55wrms on them now. Can't even believe the difference. The mid-bass is very nice and strong and the tweeters are perfect for my taste.

I just wish I had a better amp.