PDA

View Full Version : parical board vs. plywood

kickerloud
11-11-2008, 08:25 PM
exactly what iy says. why dont peole use plywood to build boxs. its stronger. is there any reason why, opinions. all i ever see is people using 3/4 partical board

bonesninja
its not particle board....its Medium Density fiberboard which is much much denser and stiffer than plywood

hatemonger
exactly what iy says. why dont peole use plywood to build boxs. its stronger. is there any reason why, opinions. all i ever see is people using 3/4 partical board

not many on this forum use particle board. mdf is what most use.

revrider1
Its not particle board its MDF

oldschool4me
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
plywood is more flexible than MDF. partical board = fail.

revrider1
11-11-2008, 08:30 PM
I use Cardboard for mine? lmao

Mike465
11-11-2008, 08:36 PM
MDF has many advantages plywood. It's very smooth because the wood fibers used in its manufacture are uniform and fine. This makes it have low "tear out," which means that when sawed, the end has a smooth cut instead of a jagged edge. MDF also has better acoustical properties than plywood and thats why has been used over plywood.

mrogowski
11-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Plywood is normally more expensive than MDF. MDF has no structural strength, whereas ply does. The only advantage MDF would have over ply for boxes is that it's easy to finish.

MDF is superior over plywood for bracing however since it is already compressed to the point where it cannot be compressed on its edges any more. So using MDF for braces will ensure next-to-no wall flexing at all.

I pay double for ply which is why I build test boxes out of MDF. but the finished product is ply.

bdawson72
11-11-2008, 08:45 PM
I thought a TCAB discussion was about to pop off. :crap:

Mike465
11-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Plywood is normally more expensive than MDF. MDF has no structural strength, whereas ply does. The only advantage MDF would have over ply for boxes is that it's easy to finish.

MDF is superior over plywood for bracing however since it is already compressed to the point where it cannot be compressed on its edges any more. So using MDF for braces will ensure next-to-no wall flexing at all.

I pay double for ply which is why I build test boxes out of MDF. but the finished product is ply.

Actually plywood is cheaper because it is made of left over material. It also has more flaws on it than MDF.

IDSkoT
11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
its not particle board....its Medium Density fiberboard which is much much denser and stiffer than plywood

Not really. Ply is denser, it's just that ply has hollow spots.

Mike465
11-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Not really. Ply is denser, it's just that ply has hollow spots.

It is denser but it is made of low grade lumber

mrogowski
11-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Actually plywood is cheaper because it is made of left over material. It also has more flaws on it than MDF.

I think your are referring to the low quality rough Birch you see in lumber yards. I buy that from time to time as well because its well, cheap.

When I talk ply I refer to G1S Fir, Finishing Birch or Baltic. Of course, I wouldn't pass up on solid Oak if it was priced the same as G1S :greedy:

kickerloud
11-11-2008, 10:38 PM
gotcha. thanks for the help guys

bonesninja
11-12-2008, 04:31 PM

i guess in my post i was thinking of cheap grades of plywood...i love the weight and strength of baltic birch ply. I love the workability (routing edges) of MDF tho.

helotaxi
11-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Where in the hell would you get the idea that any variety of plywood is more dense than MDF. All you have to do is look at the weight of a sheet of each to get your answer. The main reason that people are willing to spend more on plywood (and I've never seen even decent ply that's cheaper than MDF) is that the ply is less dense and the finished product will be significantly lighter.

Ellsworthz
11-13-2008, 09:11 PM
I use Steel for my boxes, about 1" think steel. My 10" Funky pup still seems to make the steel flex a bit though :/