PDA

View Full Version : Spl

LuNaTiC
07-17-2003, 10:08 PM
I planning on making an spl box for a ed 8a. Is round or slot ports better for spl? and I'm going to tune a 3 ft^3 box to 60 hz. Does that sound good or is there any way to make it have more spl?

ShaunMac
07-17-2003, 10:26 PM
For SPL I would use a slot port. It allows for more port area, which is important for high power "high air flow" SPL applications.

As far as what freq to tune to.............

Use a sine wave to determine the best freq to tune you box to.
You want to tune around the resonant freq of your automobile.

At the resonant freq you will get the most SPL. Taking advantage of the natural db GAIN's you automobile can give you is an easy way to get extra db's out of your system. Cabin Gain varies from car to car in freq. and amount.
Some cars may have a +6db gain @60Hz
While another has +3db gain @50Hz

Good Luck!

BDIDDY
07-17-2003, 11:31 PM
I planning on making an spl box for a ed 8a. Is round or slot ports better for spl? and I'm going to tune a 3 ft^3 box to 60 hz. Does that sound good or is there any way to make it have more spl?

Thats a awful big box aint it? Just make the port face pretty big. You are probably not gonna compete so just tune it to 50 or 60.

burtonsnow83
07-18-2003, 12:04 AM
Thats a awful big box aint it? Just make the port face pretty big. You are probably not gonna compete so just tune it to 50 or 60.

just from the size of the box for that sub, and the tuning freq I would imagine competition is in mind, I can't speak for him, but that would be a horrible set up for a daily driver IMO.

BDIDDY
07-18-2003, 09:39 AM
just from the size of the box for that sub, and the tuning freq I would imagine competition is in mind, I can't speak for him, but that would be a horrible set up for a daily driver IMO.

Well I was talking about actually going down to a show and paying 50 bucks and competing with a 8????? :confused:

ramos
07-18-2003, 11:09 AM
I have done it before. With just a plain jane old punch 8". It did quite well actually. Shock factor man, it's quite fun to see the look on peoples faces when all of that comes from a little itty bitty 8" sub :)

LuNaTiC
07-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Its for comps. I want to show up the kicker people that think there subs are the best because some kid hit 147 db or something with one of there 8's. You guys think i would be able to beat that with the right box, tunning and car? It was 147.5db. Tell me what you think i would need to beat that.

BDIDDY
07-19-2003, 08:09 PM
Its for comps. I want to show up the kicker people that think there subs are the best because some kid hit 147 db or something with one of there 8's. You guys think i would be able to beat that with the right box, tunning and car? It was 147.5db. Tell me what you think i would need to beat that.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright.......................fu nny joke.

LuNaTiC
07-19-2003, 08:46 PM
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright.......................fu nny joke.

Whats funny? I'm serious.

burtonsnow83
07-19-2003, 08:49 PM
Whats funny? I'm serious.

Nothing, that is an admirable goal, but you are going to need to invest a lot of man hours in it, know the insides and outs of speaker production/output/operations and have countless trial and error runs. Or you might get lucky.

Good luck, you will most certainly need it

BDIDDY
07-19-2003, 10:29 PM
What kind of car? E8a is not really a spl sub like the L7 8. They had a camaro which is a hatchback, which you should know are loud. Might get 140, if you get that, you should be happy.

ngsm13
07-19-2003, 10:46 PM
even for a comp box...i think 3 cubes is too big for that 8" sub. That is rather large for a sub that only requires .3 cubes regularly....and the recommended ported is .5 cubes. I'd say talk to ben, and ask about all out SPL...i just think 2 cubes at the most...that is after port displacement too! Plus, find out the RF of ur car, that'll help trmendously. peace

NG