PDA

View Full Version : whats the differnce?

dirtidan
11-11-2008, 08:59 AM
hi i just wanted to know if there is a difference between midbass speakers and midrange speakers? i recently was able to buy a CDT es/hd crossover on ebay. now i am now buying speakers for this 3 way crossover. the problem is some are listed as midbass and others midrange. but some of them are the same size. the problem with the description is that on the title it says midbass speaker then the description says midrange.

so i hope you guys can help me with this confusion. are they interchangeable?

thanks in advanced!

RAM_Designs
11-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Midrange speakers are speakers that are commonly used in 2-way coaxial/component sets. They can play high enough to mate with a tweeter, and are able to play low enough(though sometimes not well enough) to blend in with a sub. Midbass speakers are more frequency dependent. They can't extend high enough in the frequency range to be considered a midrange speaker, but they should have more low-end umph in order to be more present than it's midrange counterpart in the midbass department.

Common midrange speakers(6.5's) can normally play well between 100hz-3khz. On the other hand, midbass speakers are more likely to be used in the 60hz-1khz region(then their midrange picks up where the midbass left off), depending on the install and what outcome is desired by the listener. Some people just use midbass speakers to fill in the 60hz-200hz area...it's all personal preference and using the speaker within it's limits.

dirtidan
11-11-2008, 09:16 AM
thanks for the clarification. so technically i could put a 6.5" speaker on the low part of the xover and a 6.5" speaker on the mid of the xover but one will just be pumping base and the other one more vocal.

what i am trying to say is that the speaker itself are interchangeable the difference is that the frequency they are trying to play is different?

jco1385
11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
the ability to play certain frequencies is the difference.

dirtidan
11-11-2008, 09:22 AM
ok thanks a lot!

James Bang
11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Silly