PDA

View Full Version : Alpine type R 15 should I build the box to there specs ?

Jeepjones85
11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
OK Alpine type R manual says to build a box I need 3.0 cubic ft per sub max
and the Ported needs to be 15in x 1-1/2in x 27in long. Ok that sounds
like a small port to only be 1-1/2in wide to me...:confused:
So I guess I just want some opinions on whether to go by the manual
or Build a bigger port ?? And if bigger how big Thanks

tommyk90
11-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I say 3.5 cubes and a little bit more port area. More like in the 35-40 sq. in. area.

unrated
11-10-2008, 08:56 PM
OK Alpine type R manual says to build a box I need 3.0 cubic ft per sub max
and the Ported needs to be 15in x 1-1/2in x 27in long. Ok that sounds
like a small port to only be 1-1/2in wide to me...:confused:
So I guess I just want some opinions on whether to go by the manual
or Build a bigger port ?? And if bigger how big Thanks

3.5 - 4 cubes at 32-35 hz

Jeepjones85
11-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Ok Iv always built sub boxes buy the manual. So say If my box (and this is outside measurements) was 55in wide X 16in deep X 18in tall Using the box cal from
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp
The box will be 7.4cubic ft. Now scene Im building a chambered box that bring 7.4cft to 3.7 per
sub... Ok how do I figure the port size if im trying to hit around 35hz? Im not sure I understand the whole Sq-in area deal. I can figure Sq-in area, But I dont know whats feasible Like how wide is too wide or how narrow is too narrow?? Thanks for any help

FurbiesAndBeans
11-12-2008, 06:22 PM
since height is a fixed measurement on ur standard L port, the width is what determines your Sq. In. of your port.

Jeepjones85
11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
So in the in the original post. The port needed to be 15in high by 27in long
and what your saying is all I need to adjust it the 1-1/2 width of the port to
something wider to accommodate more SQ-in Is that what you are saying or am I way off?

FurbiesAndBeans
11-12-2008, 08:26 PM
well if you mess with the Sq-In, then with the same length it's going to give u a different tuning. So in order to have the same tuning, but bigger port area, u also have to mess around with the port length

SPL Blazer
11-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I've built enclosures for the 10" and 12" Type R's and made them to the specs in the manual and they pounded surprisingly loud. The ports did seem a bit too small, but they worked great. Same thing with my 12" Orion enclosure, the port is only 1.5" wide and it pounds louder than any single 12" sub I've heard. Going with the factory specs might be just as good of an idea as changing them, it might be a better option.

15nissen
11-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I had best results on the meter with 4.0 cube tuned to 35hz, it metered rather well on music, and sounded decent.:)

Jeepjones85
11-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I called all the local audio shops around here and they said build it by what the manual says
and that it would hit real hard a loud . I also called alpine again and the tec guy told me the spec in the manual tuned the box to 30hz. That proly how I will build It... See, I was afraid to go by the manual because some audio companies tell you how to build a box but its not tuned right because it would be tuned to suit a verity of music not just bass music. And the tec guy told me that and that. And he also said that the tuning on there box was built more for bass music.

Symon_say
11-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I called all the local audio shops around here and they said build it by what the manual says
and that it would hit real hard a loud . I also called alpine again and the tec guy told me the spec in the manual tuned the box to 30hz. That proly how I will build It... See, I was afraid to go by the manual because some audio companies tell you how to build a box but its not tuned right because it would be tuned to suit a verity of music not just bass music. And the tec guy told me that and that. And he also said that the tuning on there box was built more for bass music.

It will sound nice in the spec box, but you can get better louder sound with a bigger box.