PDA

View Full Version : best tuning freq

trujap
07-17-2003, 02:59 PM
what is the best tuning freq for some one who will frequently compete but still wants good sound quality? are there any rules for placing ports. i will i one camber with two subs will the port have to be in the middle? if its a 4 inch port if i am correct it has to be at least 4 inches away from the back right?

BDIDDY
07-17-2003, 03:03 PM
what is the best tuning freq for some one who will frequently compete but still wants good sound quality? are there any rules for placing ports. i will i one camber with two subs will the port have to be in the middle? if its a 4 inch port if i am correct it has to be at least 4 inches away from the back right?

You could make a replacable port. One that is tuned really high that is always in there. Then you make another port that you slide into the higher tuned port, to tune it lower. Kind of hard to explain, other people on here are smarter. And about the 4 inches away thing I was wondering the same thing.

ShaunMac
07-17-2003, 10:11 PM
Selecting a tuning freq for SPL competition is heavily influenced by the unique cabin gain produced by your automobile. The best tuning freq for SPL comp probably won't give you good SQ. You could sacrafice some SPL and tune lower for better SQ. But that's not practical if you want to succeed in SPL comps. Port plugs are a way to get two different tuning freq. from the same box. One for SPL and another for SQ.

I've seen ports placed in many places and have never really heard any big sonic advantage specificly due to port location.

As far as one port for two subs in one camber, you don't have to place it in the middle. You could place it on the right or left side.

For a 4" diameter port try to keep it around 4" from any surface inside the box. This helps with air flow and turbulance. Although if the port is slightly closer you probably won't notice a difference.