PDA

View Full Version : Help design SUV box

kush-divinity
11-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Okay, I have a 1994 Explorer. I am thinking of ordering a Fi Q 18 today.
I know that the old motto is sub up port back for SUV.

I am looking for 90%SQ/10%SPL.
I have alot of room to work with, but I would like to keep overall height less than 16.5 inches, and depth less than 22. This is so that I may reuse my amp/epicenter rack and still have room for my battery in the back.

I was thinking I can get 6ft3 easily. Should the port be huge for good SQL? Like 4x40x??? And should I make it "L" style and fold back up the front of the box? Or make it "S" style and fold it a couple of times in the bottom? Or will my best SQ come from sono-tubes? I have a 10" and a 12" sono both are 36" long. Also, what about using the folded style port and stuffing the port with poly-fill? I saw the local guys making a box for 4 Swiss 10's, 5ft3 at 31hz they say, but the port was HUGE, and folded on itself 5 times. They filed it with poly, and honestly, I think it sounded great.

Give me some ideas please.

wasted ink
11-09-2008, 02:51 PM
for an SQ oriented box? seal it

and i think you have the wrong idea when it comes to porting.. id read up on it a little more. different sizes arent necessarily going to give you more or less of an SQ application.. sure, tuning lower will give you a more "musical" frequency, but for best results when it comes to sound quality, id say go sealed. $0.02

kush-divinity
11-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I love sealed, but I need the output of ported with my low power setup. I think 850-900wrms is kinda soft on a Q.

And I wouldn't mind if I had a huge bump in my freq repsonse around 35 and below, none of my everday music plays that low. Unless I bump my epicenter :)

wasted ink
11-09-2008, 03:42 PM
step up your amp, pick up a 1500d or something similar, and slam away :D

kush-divinity
11-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Can't change amp nor do I want to. It's so cute. It's a 1999 US Amps HC-50. American made, not this new chinese ****.

850-900 @.5 ohm with my current +15% mod from factory.

And it's priceless, when the amp says "2-channel stereo amplifier 25watts rms x 2"
And it wangs like so.

wasted ink
11-09-2008, 04:10 PM
thats cool, i can respect that. sundown is made in the us too? but thats besides the point..

make sure your internal volume is correct, account for all displacements, and go for a low tuning. simple as that.

kush-divinity
11-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Nevermind on the Q ordered today. I keep getting the same ****. ATT takes me to their home page and says page cannot be found. Ficaraudio.com, google "ficaraudio", and ATT search all 3 = dookie for today. Why is it everyday that their site is down?

psych0ticnemes1
11-10-2008, 10:11 AM
The think the Q is a good choice. Once you decide on a sub setup, send me a PM if you need a design.