PDA

View Full Version : L port?

bvr_j_0969
11-09-2008, 06:39 AM
so the lenght of my port is to long to fit in my box straight. and ive never messed with any L ports or how to calculate them, i figured if the overall length/ inside volume of the port was the same it would amount the the same tuning?

if you took # 1's measurment and added it with #2's and it came out to the length you want for your port it would be the same as if you had a straight port with the same length right?

or is there a diff way to caclculate this.

blue being number 1 measuring left from the entrance to the back of the port and red number 2 measuring from the bottom of 1 to the bottom of 2

bladebarrier
11-09-2008, 06:56 AM
so the lenght of my port is to long to fit in my box straight. and ive never messed with any L ports or how to calculate them, i figured if the overall length/ inside volume of the port was the same it would amount the the same tuning?

if you took # 1's measurment and added it with #2's and it came out to the length you want for your port it would be the same as if you had a straight port with the same length right?

or is there a diff way to caclculate this.

blue being number 1 measuring left from the entrance to the back of the port and red number 2 measuring from the bottom of 1 to the bottom of 2

Not exactly, but it might be close. If the port is really long, an inch here or there might not actually make a huge difference to the resonant frequency of it.

Generally if a port is going to be so long that it can't fit the box, straight, you start considering things like "slot" ports instead, or you might change the width of the port to make the length shorter.

I think there are people in the forums that charge a modest price to give exacting builds to suit your needs.

If you want to do the math precisely, on your own, you'll need to change the equations to a slot port, which also means an increase in box size, and it also requires more precision craftsmanship.

For best results, I'd suggest hiring a box designer here to do the math, and then double check it yourself using a 3rd party software calculator, to see if they come out the same.

How long of a port are you talking about?

bvr_j_0969
11-09-2008, 10:00 PM
10" w X 14" tall and 28.34 inches long,

my calculations was for a slot port but its going in a wall and my wall is only 18 " deep in the area i would like to place my port and i want it turned down so it spaces the subs evenly between the ports, if i turn it left or right it will be behind one or the other.

mcsoul
11-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Did you look at the free box plans sticky?
See if anything there suits your needs, or
is close.