PDA

View Full Version : CDA-9887 Minimal Output Problem?

BlazedGlory
11-08-2008, 05:10 PM
I have an Alpine CDA-9887 HU I was running in my old truck pushing the stock speakers. It seemed to work properly, but I did not get a chance to finish the real stereo before I totaled the vehicle.

I just got a new truck and decided to install the HU at least for now while I put together the remainder of the setup. I got it installed, but the speakers are barely making any sound. The head unit seems to work, but it is barely pushing the speakers, and it seems to only be pushing high frequencies (or maybe it just seems that way because there is barely any output. Everything seems to be hooked up properly. I tried hitting the reset button as well.

There is no factory external amplifier or anything like that in this vehicle.

Am I missing something silly, or should I contact Alpine?

Slaugh
11-08-2008, 09:30 PM
aight, chief... try looking underneath the deck, where there's a lever called "3Way Xover" or something... it allows your unit to act as an active 3way crossover... high frequencies shall only pass through the front outpus and mid-frequencies through the rear ones...

check if it's set to 3Way, and if positive, put it back to 2Way, which is the normal operation for this HU... i don't know why i'm telling you this, just in case the accident could have switched it to 3way for some reason :crazy:

BlazedGlory
11-09-2008, 07:08 AM
I will go switch it back to 2-way immediately. I thought it only affected the rca outputs, for in my old truck it seemed to work fine on 3-way (I switched it pre-install to make the later install easier). Thanks!

BlazedGlory
11-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks. I figured it was something small I just overlooked. The funniest part is that I had it switched like that the entire time in my last truck (1990 Nissan) for about a month, but the speakers were so old and messed up that it sounded the same as with the factory head unit! I guess they were more sensitive as well.