PDA

View Full Version : good setup? need your opinions

adr531
07-16-2003, 09:16 PM
right now i got a alpine hu with 200watts (50x4) and 2 pioneer 6x9's in the back. and a kx600.1 amp with 1 sealed S10l7 that came from kicker authorized dealer(wired at 2-ohm load). theoretically i should be getting 600watts to my sub but it doesn't sound too impressive to me. even my friend said so. he said its because i have only 1 subwoofer, and that if i had 2 12" solobarics it would really thump. is it really that much of a gain in db by having 2 solobarics instead of 1 where i would notice a tremendous difference.

also my specs are
-gain (turned about 45% up) it goes from 0 to 11 so approximately at 11oclock. my friend said i should keep it at 4 bc thats what my hu is 4v, but i think it sound sbetter with a bit more.

-bass boost (set at 0 right now) because it kinda rattled and didnt make it thump clean. maybe if i lowered the gain in the process i should turn this up a bit?

x-over (set at roughly 80-90hz) it goes from 50 to 200hz would changing it to a lower setting damage this? also i have a sub sonic filter option but this is turned off. i was told that this was only to be used for ported boxes correct?

-HU (volume usually around 28 and it goes up to 35. fader set half way around 9. trebble at +2, bass at -7...reason for this is bc when i turn the bass to more like -2 or even 0, +2, i hear a weird distortion and my two 6x9's are powered by them and they don't like it. i was told by soundcraft that i would need 2 mdf caps to put for my 6x9s, but im not about spending anymore money

after looking at my stats, if you have any recommendations, or options i can change that you've had success with, id really appreciate it as im not too impressed with this setup(my 2 10" pioneer run off 760w peak sounded louder than this...) thanks

Bavarian3
07-17-2003, 04:26 AM
ok u should be able to put ur gain up more than half. just 1 10 sealed with 600 watts should be pretty loud, i have 2 10" RE SE's and they sealed and ive heard them while running only 600 watts 300 to each sub and they were very loud. Did u make ur box urself? whats the size and is it 3/4 Mdf wood? try putting up ur gain and dont even mess with the bass boost leave it at 0.

Boom_box
07-17-2003, 07:33 AM
ok u should be able to put ur gain up more than half. just 1 10 sealed with 600 watts should be pretty loud, i have 2 10" RE SE's and they sealed and ive heard them while running only 600 watts 300 to each sub and they were very loud. Did u make ur box urself? whats the size and is it 3/4 Mdf wood? try putting up ur gain and dont even mess with the bass boost leave it at 0.

having 1 10" sub shud thump with 600 watts pushin it. check your connections and your power source. when an amp says it has 600 watts it is usually the max power that it can pump out, it probably pushes less than 400 watts. the only way to achive the full 600 watts is to have an upgraded alternator and several capacitors or a spare battery. dont be afraid to pump the gain up, those kicker subs can handle the power.

adr531
07-17-2003, 11:31 AM
hey, yea i bought it brand new from a kicker authorized dealer the box is perfect. my alternator was just rebuilt and all connections were made perfect from my friend.

anyway, i was told taht the gain isnt a volume and not to mess with it too much. im afraid of blowing out the s10l7. i was wondering how high could the gain go before ruining it, maybe 70%?. who knows im just not too impressed so far. thanks.

namster44
07-17-2003, 02:55 PM
what gauge wire are you using? that has a lot to do with how much current the amp is getting. Something is wrong with your setup by the sounds of it, recheck everything! then after you are done, recheck it again.

adr531
07-17-2003, 03:25 PM
ok im using a 4gauge wire to the amp itself and i have a good ground. 14gauge wire for the dual voice coils wired so its giving a 2-ohm load. im basically just asking out to anyone who has experience with this kicker amp/1 sub setup and was wondering gain/x over setting/bass boost. i know most of it is preference but it just isnt slamming right. so 45% gain is about the max i should go?

Bavarian3
07-17-2003, 04:02 PM
ok im using a 4gauge wire to the amp itself and i have a good ground. 14gauge wire for the dual voice coils wired so its giving a 2-ohm load. im basically just asking out to anyone who has experience with this kicker amp/1 sub setup and was wondering gain/x over setting/bass boost. i know most of it is preference but it just isnt slamming right. so 45% gain is about the max i should go?
duude i asked u about ur box u didnt anser my question, i have a feeling some of ur problem is in ur box. Is it prefab or did u make it and how many cubes is it.

willll
07-17-2003, 04:42 PM
put your pioneer 6x9s in the front, screw the backseat riders. use the existing 6x9 holes as bass ports. try the subsonic filter at like 20hz, this is the lowest frequency that the ear can hear i think, it may allow for more, cleaner power. then, turn your H/u up to like 25/28, adjust the bass so that the 6x9s give some bass, but so that they don't distort. then start working the gain on the amp up slowly until the sub starts to distort, then turn it back down some. this won't destroy your sub, but you will find its limits. once you have found a good gain level(can be more than 45%, but i would say don't go over 75%), mess with the bass boost. also, try your crossover at 50 hz, this should make your bass sound deeper and cleaner. check your radio to see if it has some special subwoofer outputs/settings.

namster44
07-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Well, why don't you set your HU at the vol level you would listen to, and then turn your gain up till distortion calls, and then turn the gain down a little.

I think 14 gauge for the sub is a little small, maybe try going a little bigger.

adr531
07-17-2003, 06:07 PM
i bought my box on ebay it was custom designed to meet kicker requirements its a sealed box 3/4" mdf.Dimensions: ~16"W x 13-1/2"D x 13-1/2"H

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032659219&category=32823&rd=1

Bavarian3
07-18-2003, 01:21 AM
i bought my box on ebay it was custom designed to meet kicker requirements its a sealed box 3/4" mdf.Dimensions: ~16"W x 13-1/2"D x 13-1/2"H

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032659219&category=32823&rd=1

jesus u spent 200 bucks on a single sub sealed box. I dont know what ur problem with ur sub is then, did u try turning the gain up more? also what car do u have, which way is ur sub facing, do u feel that when u open ur trunk they are very loud but in the car they arent really. maybe u have some cancellation problems. or what the hell maybe u just expected too much from the sub.... :rolleyes: