PDA

View Full Version : Question on setting gains.. (didnt hear distortion)

oneill584
11-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Hey guys,

I followed all the rules on setting my gains for my comps.
Only problem is, I didn't hear any distortion.

Amp is sending 75 to each speaker. Got myself a set of Image Dynamics comps-100 watts each.

I didn't hear any distortion. Is it supposed to be real clear? I did notice however, that when the gain is set about halfway on the amp, a little light flickers that says clipped. I'm guessing this means that the amp is sending a clipped signal, which in turn will blow my speakers. So i decided to turn the gain down to under the point where this clipped signal comes up till I hear from you guys.

Thanks,
Mark

benchambers80
11-07-2008, 11:24 PM
what the hell is the problem again..?

endofdays89
11-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Hey guys,

I followed all the rules on setting my gains for my comps.
Only problem is, I didn't hear any distortion.

Amp is sending 75 to each speaker. Got myself a set of Image Dynamics comps-100 watts each.

I didn't hear any distortion. Is it supposed to be real clear? I did notice however, that when the gain is set about halfway on the amp, a little light flickers that says clipped. I'm guessing this means that the amp is sending a clipped signal, which in turn will blow my speakers. So i decided to turn the gain down to under the point where this clipped signal comes up till I hear from you guys.

Thanks,
Mark

what the hell?

oneill584
11-07-2008, 11:27 PM
When setting the gains you are supposed to slowly raise the gain untill you hear some distortion comming from the speakers.

I raised the gain almost all of the way probablly about 75%, and didn't hear any distortion at all. I did however notice a clipped signal alert on my amp when I cranked the gain more than halfway. I'm not sure if this is bad or not, so I decided to just turn it down for now because I do not want to blow out my speakers.

endofdays89
11-07-2008, 11:28 PM
you must not know what real clean speakers sound like, or maybe you don't hear distortion for that reason

you might not notice the distortion if you set your gains high, but i'm sure if you turn the HU volume up just a litle more you will

oneill584
11-07-2008, 11:29 PM
true... thanks

Rashaddd
11-07-2008, 11:30 PM
you should certainly hear distortion, especially in mids/highs...its really obvious.

endofdays89
11-07-2008, 11:31 PM
true... thanks

what comps are you running?

oneill584
11-07-2008, 11:32 PM
image dynamics ctx65cs

endofdays89
11-07-2008, 11:33 PM
image dynamics ctx65cs

good stuff there, what amp and how many watts (RMS) are you running to the comps.

oneill584
11-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Amp is a pos.. I believe it is a Blaupunkt THA-275 Thin series?

Could be wrong on the model number, but im almost positive. Its a POS I know, just don't have the cash right now for a new one. It is pushing 75 to each speaker

endofdays89
11-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Amp is a pos.. I believe it is a Blaupunkt THA-275 Thin series?

Could be wrong on the model number, but im almost positive. Its a POS I know, just don't have the cash right now for a new one. It is pushing 75 to each speaker

your only giving them 3/4 of there rated power. that may be the reason you don't notice distortion. You should set your gains with a dmm or set the gain to about 50 percent. Don't go too high on the gains though. Those ID comps are begging for more power by the way.

oneill584
11-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Ya, honestly I feel liek and wish it was a little louder. My subs overpower it. Will I have any problems keeping the gains at 75%?

Rashaddd
11-08-2008, 03:07 AM
your only giving them 3/4 of there rated power. that may be the reason you don't notice distortion. You should set your gains with a dmm or set the gain to about 50 percent. Don't go too high on the gains though. Those ID comps are begging for more power by the way.

Do you seriously still not realize that where you set your gains is completely irrelevant

50 percent means nothing without context (ie. the strength of the preamp signal and the scale of that particular amp's gain knob)...

seriously now...

endofdays89
11-08-2008, 03:16 AM
Do you seriously still not realize that where you set your gains is completely irrelevant

50 percent means nothing without context (ie. the strength of the preamp signal and the scale of that particular amp's gain knob)...

seriously now...

i know, i was just saying to do it that way if he didn't do it with the dmm. Most 2 volt preouts should be set to around 1/4 gain or so, so i just figured half gain was a decent guess.

oneill584
11-08-2008, 03:34 AM
****, apparently I have no idea what I'm doing lol. So wuts the consensus, new more powerfull amp? How many watts should I be powering them with?

Rashaddd
11-08-2008, 03:35 AM
i know, i was just saying to do it that way if he didn't do it with the dmm. Most 2 volt preouts should be set to around 1/4 gain or so, so i just figured half gain was a decent guess.

Dear endofdays89,

Please don't teach other people the wrong way to do things.

-the non retarded Car Audio Community

skittlesRgood
11-08-2008, 03:54 AM
do NOT go above where your amp says its clipping. keep it a little below that till you learn about how to set it with a dmm.

endofdays89
11-08-2008, 04:00 AM
Dear endofdays89,

Please don't teach other people the wrong way to do things.

-the non retarded Car Audio Community

i'm pretty sure that half gain is pretty safe for most setups. If he doesn't know how to do it with the dmm it will work just fine.

oneill584
11-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Allright, ya thanks guys. I think I'm just gonna get a new amp eventually, and then juts bring it in to the shop and have them set it real quick. How much watts would you guys recommend though for the new amp?

XHiFiX
11-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Your amp has a clipping indicator so use it.

Since you're powering a set of comps for mids/highs, you need a test tone that falls within their playing freq' range. So download a 0dB 1KHz sine wave test tone and burn it on a CD. You can find it here - http://www.realmofexcursion.com/downloads.htm

Start with your amp's gain fully counterclockwise. On your HU, Set equalizer/tone settings to flat or 0 and disable any loudness or sound shaping features. Turn up the volume to its max undistorted level or just use 3/4 of the full volume. Start playing the 1KHz test tone that you burned onto the disc and set it for loop/repeat.

Now start slowly turning the amp's gain clockwise and watch the clipping indicator. When you see it light up, stop then slightly turn back the gain until the light goes away. Assuming that the amp's clipping indicator was accurate, you should have been able to hear the test tone clip when it reached the point where the light lit up. You would recognize it as a change in pitch. Listen to this wav file and you will hear the difference b/w clipped and unclipped - http://www.bcae1.com/images/wavs/clip01.wav (it starts Unclipped for one second, then goes Clipped the next, in three intervals)

oneill584
11-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks dude. I really appreciate the thorough and detailed explanation.

eharri3
11-15-2008, 11:44 PM
I'll step in and say, I have absolutely no problems hearing 'crunchy' bass when Im tuning my bass amp but in mids and highs I have a hard time detecting it by ear and usually have a shop do it or go with a DMM. MAy or may not have to do with the fact that my sub is slightly overpowered and my mids and coaxials are slightly under powered. Not sure if that causes the clipping to be so slight on door speakers as to be hard to hear.

helotaxi
11-16-2008, 10:40 AM
That Blaupunkt amp isn't as bad as everyone says.

Is the setup loud enough for you? If it is, then what's the problem? If it isn't, you probably need to reassess your goals because an actual 75w on those very efficient speakers will make your ears bleed. It doesn't matter that you didn't hear the amp clip. Many times unless you are running it progressively into clipping with a test tone, it has to get to full clip before the distortion becomes really apparent with music. The sensory overload from the sheer volume of the sound makes this difficult as well.