PDA

View Full Version : Box tuning for DnB?

FurbiesAndBeans
11-07-2008, 10:29 PM
What would be a good tuning frequency if you mainly listen to drum and bass?

Im trying to build a better box for my friend's 2 10in type rs since he has a prefab at the moment... just trying to see what tuning would be better for DnB. I know the type rs like 32-34 tuning.... just wandering if they'll still sound good with a higher tuning

mokedaddy
11-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Lower the better.

bladebarrier
11-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Lower the better.

This.

What would be a good tuning frequency if you mainly listen to drum and bass?

Im trying to build a better box for my friend's 2 10in type rs since he has a prefab at the moment... just trying to see what tuning would be better for DnB. I know the type rs like 32-34 tuning.... just wandering if they'll still sound good with a higher tuning

Box size matters a lot when it comes to ported boxes that use small drivers, for deep bass.

How big can the box be, and can you link the woofer specs, or copy and paste them in here?

Deeper is better for techno, and gives less chance of a driver tearing itself apart during deep base peaks. 10's will definitely be at risk for that happening if tuned too high.

Go low tuning, with as big a box as the speakers are willing to take advantage of.

FurbiesAndBeans
11-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Drum and bass doesnt really have low bass, its higher frequency bass lines.

The subs are 10in Type Rs, im pretty sure everyone knows about them.

bladebarrier
11-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Drum and bass doesnt really have low bass, its higher frequency bass lines.

The subs are 10in Type Rs, im pretty sure everyone knows about them.

I'd be happy to shoot back some response curves, if you are willing to take the time to list the driver specs. It will take me longer to run the equations than it will for you to make a link, and I don't want anything else in return.

Lower tuning will assist with keeping the d&b bass range in the more damped region. If you want loud, and muddy 40-80hz, by all means, tune it high. If you want the increased spl from a ported box, instead of the tighter, but quieter output of a sealed box, then you want to tune it low, so that you're not getting primarily port output, but a reasonable mix of driver output, with a moderate amount of of port activity to boost the spl a bit.

Loud and sloppy, tight and crisp, or in the middle? The middle will probably be a low tuned, ported box, but I'd have to run the math on the drivers to check that.

Of course you could put them in a bandpass and turn it into a something that sounds like a tuba played by a five year old. ;)

FurbiesAndBeans
11-08-2008, 12:54 AM
http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1042D.PDF

its the swr-1042.

cant copy and paste :crap:

bladebarrier
11-08-2008, 01:41 AM
http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1042D.PDF

its the swr-1042.

cant copy and paste :crap:

Edited to reflect your response below.

I think I'm seeing the same thing you are.

These drivers really seem to peak out at extremely low frequencies for 10's, and I can't seem to get a box type that would get them into that 40-80 range any better than what you're seeing, or what Alpine recommends. The only way I can push it upwards, the response looks like a mountain range, and would probably sound like crap.

Funny, but for 10's, they shape out their response curve like they're a larger driver, but with less spl. Maybe they're just not the type of speakers he needs, or maybe they'll sound tight with a low tuning, but not get very loud.

I wish I could help more, but I'm hitting a stonewall trying to think of how else to tune the box to add more punch to the higher hz. Maybe a bandpass would actually be reasonable with these kinds of woofers? I didn't see anything on the spec sheet for one, but maybe a quick call to Alpine, and they'd give a suggestion.

These are definitely not your average 10's, but possibly in a good way for people trying to save space that don't need high spl.

FurbiesAndBeans
11-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Yep. i designed a quick box with the RE audio website with a 2.054 ft^3 tuned at 32. The amp is a Directed 1100D if you care.

Edit: I read the ohms with a volt meter and they're actually ~4.3 on each coil. So the amp is seeing ~1.1