PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass box question

skittlesRgood
11-07-2008, 04:16 PM
im thinking of mounting my amp to the back of my fiberglass box that im making. ive been told that its bad for the amp to mount it to the box but im wondering if some mdf and all the fiberglass will stop if from vibrating enough to make it ok.

also wondering if i can take out the dowels thatll be holding the speaker rings in place, once the glass is dry and ready?

Rashaddd
11-07-2008, 04:25 PM
People mount amps to boxes all the time. Just make sure your box is solid. If you're worried about it you can put some kind of foam between them as well

skittlesRgood
11-08-2008, 12:29 AM
ya im going to have 7+ layers of glass and some mdf to drill into for the amp. itll be solid. how about the dowels? im guessing the fiberglass will hold the rings and the port in place.

skittlesRgood
11-08-2008, 03:34 AM
bump

audioarsonal
11-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I usually leave the ring supports in.But if you do enough glass it should support the sub.The supports tie everything together IMO and make for a more rigid box.As for mounting the amp there shouldn't be a problem.I would recommend you enbed some MDF into the glass to give you a solid place to screw and mount it.

skittlesRgood
11-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I usually leave the ring supports in.But if you do enough glass it should support the sub.The supports tie everything together IMO and make for a more rigid box.As for mounting the amp there shouldn't be a problem.I would recommend you enbed some MDF into the glass to give you a solid place to screw and mount it.

thats the plan

pilyin
11-08-2008, 05:52 PM
I'd leave the supports in also. The box would probably hold the sub, but fiberglass is brittle, so the extra supports don't hurt.

skittlesRgood
11-08-2008, 05:55 PM
well with the way im making the box i dont have a good place to leave them in. unless i fiberglass them in on the bottom. the wood part is just a frame.