PDA

View Full Version : Lights on HU dimming when bass hits

DonCorleone
11-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey, I have an Alpine CDM-9803 headunit in my 95 Mercury Sable Wagon (I know) with a scosche amp (idk how many watts) and an alpine 12" type e sub. Anyway, whenever the sub hits the lights on my headunit dim, im just wondering if theres something wrong or if that happens often. Thanks.

wu501
11-07-2008, 03:34 PM
would say your experiencing some very bad voltage drop. Do your headlights dim a lot also?

123 GO
11-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I am not an expert but I think that something might be wrong with your battery, maybe change your alternater

DonCorleone
11-07-2008, 03:43 PM
I really cant tell if the headlights dim or not but I can check tonight and get back to you. The lights on the HU dont completely go out they just dim noticeably.

Fusion_FREAK
11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I had the very same radio, and it dimmed too, but not my lights or anything else in/on the car.

I never figured out why.

pilyin
11-07-2008, 03:50 PM
You're getting a voltage drop. Try doing the big three. If that doesn't help, you might need to upgrade your existing battery and maybe add a battery. If you dash lights are dimming, your headlights are also dimming. You don't have a problem with you alt. yet, but you might after a while. Do a search on the big 3. It's a fairly inexpensive and easy upgrade to your cars electrical.

edit: didn't read it right. Might be the same problem though if you HU is dimming.

WildBeast15
11-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey, I have an Alpine CDM-9803 headunit in my 95 Mercury Sable Wagon (I know) with a scosche amp (idk how many watts) and an alpine 12" type e sub. Anyway, whenever the sub hits the lights on my headunit dim, im just wondering if theres something wrong or if that happens often. Thanks.

I just took a sable up to the auction for my job and it had a problem with its alt i would check that... start the car up and unhook the batt if it dies then your alt is bad...

skittlesRgood
11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
I just took a sable up to the auction for my job and it had a problem with its alt i would check that... start the car up and unhook the batt if it dies then your alt is bad...

no, dont do that. you can kill a good alt that way. bcae1.com, read up.

endofdays89
11-07-2008, 04:02 PM
you shouldn't be noticing dimming with a type e sub. That's just the honest truth.

DonCorleone
11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
The lights on my dash dont dim, its just the ones on the HU itself, it doesnt really bother me im jsut wondering if its a problem with the car itself and not just the head unit. Thanks for all your help so far, ill read up on the big 3.

wu501
11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
no, dont do that. you can kill a good alt that way. bcae1.com, read up.

correct :)

DonCorleone
11-07-2008, 04:04 PM
you shouldn't be noticing dimming with a type e sub. That's just the honest truth.

Are type E's not that good? The system came with the car when I got it but i get roof flex with a single type e.

endofdays89
11-07-2008, 04:05 PM
The lights on my dash dont dim, its just the ones on the HU itself, it doesnt really bother me im jsut wondering if its a problem with the car itself and not just the head unit. Thanks for all your help so far, ill read up on the big 3.

all your lights will dim including your head unit if you have enough power. Are you using bass boost or no? If you are don't use it at all. I'm still not understanding how you can have significant voltage drops from a type e sub.:confused:

Worlddre
11-07-2008, 04:08 PM
all these people and no has suggested the likely correct answer it is the ground check it change it make sure you have it

DonCorleone
11-07-2008, 05:12 PM
all your lights will dim including your head unit if you have enough power. Are you using bass boost or no? If you are don't use it at all. I'm still not understanding how you can have significant voltage drops from a type e sub.:confused:

The only lights that dim are the actual button lights on the head unit itself, not the display on the head unit, not the dash lights. I am clueless and am beginning to think that the problem is within the head unit itself and not the car.

Worlddre
11-07-2008, 05:12 PM
all these people and no has suggested the likely correct answer it is the ground check it change it make sure you have it

bubbagumper6
11-07-2008, 05:15 PM

x2 if it's just affecting the HU double check it's power and ground make sure they are both good. If need be make a new ground for it (factory grounds usually ****)