PDA

View Full Version : Routering questions

MisterE
11-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Totally new to a router. Got a jasper jig and have yet to use it. Making circles with that should be pretty idiot proof...

How do I go about flush mounting amps? Whats the easiest way? Do I make a cutout of the size of the amp on a seperate board and tack that onto the real piece and use a straight bit? I just havent had much time to screw around with it and am not up much on the terminology either, thanks a ton!

wasted ink
11-07-2008, 08:26 AM
cut out a piece 3/4" bigger on all sides than your amp.. then cut out pieces of 3/4" mdf to mount onto that piece as walls.. drop your amp in and you have a flush top. cut holes in the sides to wire and tune...

thats an oversimplified answer, for an oversimplified question. pics of your amp would make it a little easier to help

scoob8000
11-07-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm going to be building an amp rack using mdf and 2x4's.

I was planning on building the recess with 2x4 sides and a MDF bottom, and a piece of acrylic or plexi to cover the amp.

To make the plexi lay flush I thought about using a Rabbet bit..

MisterE
11-07-2008, 09:01 PM
cut out a piece 3/4" bigger on all sides than your amp.. then cut out pieces of 3/4" mdf to mount onto that piece as walls.. drop your amp in and you have a flush top. cut holes in the sides to wire and tune...

thats an oversimplified answer, for an oversimplified question. pics of your amp would make it a little easier to help

Im sorry I meant flush mounting an amp using a router with another piece of mdf as the flush mount or top piece.

like do i cut the size of my amp out with a jigsaw in a piece of wood then tack that onto a piece and use a straight bit with a bearing? sorry i would try it out but its at work and i just dont have a whole lot of time