PDA

View Full Version : My First Box

#1AlpineFan
07-16-2003, 01:43 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~brian.hickman/Mar0104.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~brian.hickman/Mar0105.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~brian.hickman/Jul1305.jpg

It didn't turn out too bad but i'm no pro. I wanted to paint in the color of the car but i bought a house and all my money goes to other things. besides it doesn't look to bad in primer. It was fun, except for all the d**n sanding. My camera is a pos.

ramos
07-16-2003, 02:42 PM
hey man that looks pretty good. :) My first project didn't look that good. Instead of painting it. I would just save up for a little while and carpet it the same color as the trunk carpet. :)

BDIDDY
07-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Good job, for your first time. I am just wondering how you figure out the cuft of those kind of boxes, you could put water in there and get the liters and convert it over but how else could you do it?

ramos
07-16-2003, 03:24 PM
Sand, packing peanuts/popcorn, I guess actual eatible popcorn if you had a whole bunch of of it. D@mn that would be one helluva popcorn bowl wouldn't it :D Just dump them in until full. Then measure what comes out. :)

#1AlpineFan
07-17-2003, 04:43 AM
Thanks guys!

I had two hugh mdf boxes before i decieded to make this box. they took up the whole trunk and weighed a ton. looked like my car was lowered in the back. With this box the car looks like it sits at stock height. plus the performance gain. I wanted to weigh the difference between the mdf boxes and this fiberglass box, but never got around to it. I should see what the cuft is of the box, i'm sure its alot smaller than the previous ones. It sounds good enought for me so i really don't care. I'm curious of what db's i would hit. I hit a 146.8 with the old boxes. thats probably where i would see the difference. Waters not too bad of an idea, i could find out where all the leaks are.

My newest project is some kickpanels for my POS GTI. I'll post pics of them in a day or two. I needed a place to put some speakeres and i wanted to get some practice before I make some for the civic.

I owe most of my knowledge to the glassman forum and pictures.

FalconXtreme
07-17-2003, 04:58 AM
aaah i cant see anything but the boxes with red x's

#1AlpineFan
07-17-2003, 05:09 AM
Yeah theres something wrong with comcast. I can't get on my webpage to do anything. I can't even log in to the site. Hopefully they will pop up tomorrow. I don't know what happened. try back tomorrow.

FalconXtreme
07-17-2003, 05:11 AM
since i cant see any pics what type of setup landed u that 146?

willll
07-17-2003, 12:04 PM
what kind of speakers are those, kicker L7 red x edition? you're right, that triple box looks tiny. **** comcast, dsl is more reliabler.

it bleeped out the big d word. dam freedom of speech violators.

dam dammity dam n

#1AlpineFan
07-17-2003, 05:05 PM
LOL I'm calling comcast now. don't know whats up.

I had the recommended size box for 2- JL 15W3's. They were pretty big boxes. amazingly they fit in the car. I have a mtx 81000d powering them.

#1AlpineFan
07-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Comcast says they should be up tonight but there is no for sure time when they will come back up.

FalconXtreme
07-17-2003, 05:43 PM
yeeeeeeeeeep, if u had dsl u wouldn't be having this problem. hehehehehehehe

#1AlpineFan
07-17-2003, 10:02 PM
Pics are back up.

Heres some new pics of my kick panels for my piece of crap Gti.

http://home.comcast.net/~brian.hickman/Jul1701.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~brian.hickman/Jul1704.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~brian.hickman/Jul1705.jpg

I need some decent sound and there is no where to put speakers. You can put them in the doors but the dept has to be pretty small. so i made these, with some left overs from the box. More pics on the way.
Hope comcast doesn't f**k up again.

willll
07-20-2003, 08:56 PM
that's pretty awesome for a first try. do the jl's pound harder with the custom box?

you should get a chromed out skull with some red led eyes from autozone for your shifter knob....TIZIGHT!

#1AlpineFan
07-21-2003, 12:19 AM
I don't think so. The boxes i had made were really sealed and the subs hardly budged when you pushed on them. they move pretty easy in the custom box, which means i did a ****** job in not sealing them good enough but they still hit hard enough for me. plus the custom box is alot smaller.
Heres a picture of the boxes. I went a little crazy with the screws but oh well.
http://home.comcast.net/~brian.hickman/boxes.jpg

you should get a chromed out skull with some red led eyes from autozone for your shifter knob....TIZIGHT
Are you joking or something, why the hell would anyone want one of them.

BDIDDY
07-21-2003, 12:52 AM
I don't think so. The boxes i had made were really sealed and the subs hardly budged when you pushed on them. they move pretty easy in the custom box, which means i did a ****** job in not sealing them good enough but they still hit hard enough for me. plus the custom box is alot smaller.
Heres a picture of the boxes. I went a little crazy with the screws but oh well.

Because its TIZIGHT. Must be a noob.

willll
07-21-2003, 01:31 AM
you actually had to post the picture just to make a joke out of a joke i made you big jerk. take a look at the pic of his kick panels, you can see his AWESOME looking stock shifter knob in the background. I could have said "get a carbon fiber momo shifter knob with a new shifter boot" but that wouldn't have been at all funny, and those things are expensive. so i made an off the wall statement about a $10 shifter knob and i followed the statement by the word "TIZIGHT". so i think if you took that seriously, and then had to repost a huge picture to quote that crap, then i would assume that you are the noob, or just a big ****. and if they bleeped that, then you are a big D to the I to the C to the K.

So i guess I'll try this again: "That's a pretty sweet box for your first try!"

My thought would be that it would pound harder because it is more secured to the chassis and would let you feel it a little better. I was to understand that if a box is TOO sealed, then depending on the barometric pressure, you could get higher pressure on one side or the other, but that could be just as bad as an air leak.

BDIDDY
07-21-2003, 01:34 AM

Yeah I am a noob thats why I have my sub secured "tightly" to the frame of my car so I can feel the bass lightly rattle my buttcheeks.

BDIDDY
07-21-2003, 01:37 AM

Ohh yeah really sorry for bashing your thread alpine. It looks good especially nice for your 1st fiberglass box. Good luck.

#1AlpineFan
07-21-2003, 03:38 PM
you actually had to post the picture just to make a joke out of a joke i made you big jerk. take a look at the pic of his kick panels, you can see his AWESOME looking stock shifter knob in the background. I could have said "get a carbon fiber momo shifter knob with a new shifter boot" but that wouldn't have been at all funny, and those things are expensive. so i made an off the wall statement about a $10 shifter knob and i followed the statement by the word "TIZIGHT". so i think if you took that seriously, and then had to repost a huge picture to quote that crap, then i would assume that you are the noob, or just a big ****. and if they bleeped that, then you are a big D to the I to the C to the K.

So i guess I'll try this again: "That's a pretty sweet box for your first try!"

My thought would be that it would pound harder because it is more secured to the chassis and would let you feel it a little better. I was to understand that if a box is TOO sealed, then depending on the barometric pressure, you could get higher pressure on one side or the other, but that could be just as bad as an air leak.

you actually had to post the picture just to make a joke out of a joke i made you big jerk.
WTF is that even a sentence. Dude i'm completely lost. what the he!! are you talking about. Why are you calling ME a ****? I didn't post the picture to quote any crap? I posted it to show what i had in there before and to show what box i used to hit 146, as someone had asked earlier. Obviously I'm not the ****.

How can a box be too sealed?
I'm sorry i ever started posting. Someone please delete this whole topic.

BDIDDY
07-21-2003, 03:42 PM
WTF is that even a sentence. Dude i'm completely lost. what the he!! are you talking about. Why are you calling ME a ****? I didn't post the picture to quote any crap? I posted it to show what i had in there before and to show what box i used to hit 146, as someone had asked earlier. Obviously I'm not the ****.

How can a box be too sealed?
I'm sorry i ever started posting. Someone please delete this whole topic.

He was talking to me. Sorry for bashing your thread.

willll
07-21-2003, 05:57 PM
if the box is perfectly sealed, it won't allow any air to go in or out which would cause pressure differences on either side. I too apologize for my retaliations. nice box.

#1AlpineFan
07-21-2003, 06:32 PM
Oh. ok I knew i was lost for some reason. I'm loosing my mind. Sorry about that.

slipknot87420
07-21-2003, 06:41 PM
if the box is perfectly sealed, it won't allow any air to go in or out which would cause pressure differences on either side. I too apologize for my retaliations. nice box.

You're box is supposed to be perfectly sealed.....;)

willll
07-21-2003, 07:31 PM
it's SUPPOSED to be, but most aren't, and they should allow a TINY amount of air seepage in or out so that you don't get back-pressure on the sub.

MXJMR
07-23-2003, 03:24 AM
(These ?'s are about the sub enclosure)Whats that stuff in the center of ur rings. R they sharing airspace? Do u have any more pictures of the whole process.

MXJMR
07-23-2003, 03:28 AM
My bad wrong thread

MikeofTulsa
07-23-2003, 01:50 PM
it's SUPPOSED to be, but most aren't, and they should allow a TINY amount of air seepage in or out so that you don't get back-pressure on the sub.

sorry....but ur wrong.....a box should allow any amount of air seepage......the diff. in pressure is what creates the excessivly loud bass......and most people are smart enough to seal the box w/ silicone......either your really confused or jus have a very unique way about trying to say stuff....heh.....

ramos
07-23-2003, 02:32 PM

i thought that, the backpressure you speak of. Was actually referred to as an acoustic spring. And it's the basic idea behind a sealed enclosure. :confused: :)

willll
07-23-2003, 08:09 PM
mmmk, but what if you get the opposite of back pressure, like you seal the box with the cone compressed(hypothetically). now you have suction inside the box. could this be bad? i have heard changes in barometric pressure could cause either phenomenon (back pressure/suction) in a hermetically sealed box. and yes, silicone is good to use around speaker terminals and corners and behind your ears.

ramos
07-24-2003, 05:56 AM
It is not currently possible to create a perfect vacuum on the face of the earth. So I don't think we need to worry about that anytime soon. Besides that, the cone of the sub(s) themselves are not air tight. :)

willll
07-24-2003, 10:52 AM
i win. boxes can't be perfectly sealed :D

ramos
07-24-2003, 11:39 AM

Nope you lose too. You said the above which is incorrect :p
There are no winners. only a bunch of people learning :)