PDA

View Full Version : help me with a box

wafsman
11-04-2008, 09:41 PM
so, ive come to the conclusion after my first post, that i need to lean more towards the direction of a new enclosure to accomplish my goal of louder bass using the equipment i already have. i have a 99 nissan altima with a 14 cu ft trunk. there is 60/40 fold down rear seats and two 6 3/4" speakers in the rear deck.

ive had suggestions of taking out the speakers in the rear deck and utilizing the holes as ports. any ideas on that?

also what would be a good box for my two 12" american bass dual 6-ohm subwoofers? they are wired into a 1.5-ohm load on my jl audio 250/1 amplifier.

what is the difference between a slotted and a ported enclosure? and what would be the best enclosure for mostly rap music, but something that won't sound horrible if i want to jam a rock cd? what would be a good frequency to have the enclosure tuned to, or is sticking with a sealed enclosure like i already have the best option?

thanks for your help in advance.

Twisted_0912
11-04-2008, 09:42 PM
ported and slot mean the same thing

Pioneer~Saturn
11-04-2008, 09:43 PM
slotted is just a type of port...so really its like comparing rectangles to squares..

a square is a rectangle...but a rectangle isnt always a square :D

Johnny Law.Lulz
11-04-2008, 09:47 PM
If you want loud go ported - if you want SQ and maybe some SQL then stay sealed. Sealed will give you a tighter bass and ported will just go into awesomeness loudness mode lol. A slotted box is a ported box without a round port lol its slotted = )

wafsman
11-04-2008, 10:18 PM
thanks a lot. i think i definitely want to go with a slotted/ported enclosure. any ideas on a good size, i have trouble finding specs on the subs i have as they haven't been produced for some time. also any ideas on what kind of frequency to tune it at for my taste in music? also if i have a slotted/ported box, will the idea of using the speaker holes in the deck be any good, or should i just keep some speakers in there and seal up the trunk?

psych0ticnemes1
11-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey. I don't think removing the rear speakers will make a ton louder, but you can try it and see what happens. If it were me, I would stick with a simple slot ported design for me. If you need it louder, then try opening the speaker holes, etc.

If you need a box design send me a PM.