PDA

View Full Version : nub needs help!

ezekial130
11-04-2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=400&i=130TSA1302&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=400&i=130TSA6962&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=500IDAX200&tp=5684

so that is my set up for my comps. not running of an amp :(

recently i noticed they were blown or atleast sounding like ****. (blown)

wondering how my HUs built in amp could do that when it doesn't even put out that much power.

also pros of using an external amp for comps only?

Horsemanwill
11-04-2008, 09:13 PM
your probably ran alot of distortion through your speakers. how is your deck setup? do you have the loud on? is the bass all the way up? do you listen to it turned up all the way?

bonesninja
11-04-2008, 09:14 PM
so you are a nub hunh.....i will also say you are a noob

ezekial130
11-04-2008, 10:00 PM
i used the loud. i never set the bass past +2 cuz i just kept my subs bumpin. usually played at no more than 30/40 volume. and occasionally pushed bass to +max but for no more than a few seconds. but they would still sound fine after :mad:

fast85_gt
11-04-2008, 10:13 PM
id say you sent them alot of distortion if you have good comps get a good comp amp ext.

ezekial130
11-04-2008, 10:21 PM
ok. now by sending them a lot of distortion you mean........
and pros/compariso of comp amp to HU plz.

fast85_gt
11-04-2008, 10:34 PM
i just beleave you can get a cleaner single with say a zapco amp or something simaler becouse they are like 0.02 compared to a hu with 0.5

fast85_gt
11-04-2008, 10:35 PM
id wait on some others to buzz in but if i had a good comp set i would not run them of my hu

Horsemanwill
11-04-2008, 10:38 PM
distortion meaning sending frequency's that were not ment to be played by those speakers. sets like that aren't made to play the bass freqs and having the loud on plus having your bass set at +2 means that they probably were playing the freqs they don't like to play. if you go with an external amp with a built in xover you can keep those freqs from getting to your speakers giving them a happier life.

ezekial130
11-04-2008, 10:43 PM
ok now. easiest way to diagnose whether they are blown or if its distortion? because i don't recall the distortion before i got my subs but i also only went to 20/40 instead of the 30/40 which i reach now.

finally for the set of comps i have now. rate them and recommend me an amp!!! (please):bowdown: and thanks for the help thus far

fast85_gt
11-04-2008, 10:50 PM
the bass boost from having the loud on dont cut out till around 20 or so so you could have still sent lower freq. they did not like its best to have bass 0 loud off and a good amp would be anything with low thd zapco if in your budget is a good one

Horsemanwill
11-04-2008, 10:51 PM
a price range will help these guys pick u an amp too.

eharri3
11-05-2008, 09:13 AM
You ran the volume cranked to get the loudness that you weren't getting because you weren't feeding them enough power to get them loud at a lower volume level. This put you closer to clipping the HU signal. Compounded by the fact that if you crank the bass even a little without the proper crossovers in place to insure they're not getting a full signal, they get more bass than they can safely handle for extended periods and the extra bass boost decreased the speakers' power handling and put you closer to being over your head unit's maximum undistorted output. Every time the bass went to max for a few seconds it cut some more time from their lifespan. Loudness put you over the top, sent them way too much of a signal, distorted your head unit's output, and fried them. Any Alpine/Pioneer/Whatever kind of amp putting out 40-60 watts would do the trick. Some people aren't big fans of Best Buy here but you don't need big power for them so a cheap brand name amp from somewhere like that will do. 2 or 4 channel depending on how many speakers you want to power. Id recommend two and just worry about amping the fronts.

Set the high pass at 70 or higher, zero out the bass and treble, and figure out what you have to do to get the sound you want without your system straining. If you needed loudness and high volume and bass +2 it means you had to overwork your stuff to get the sound you want. Comps with no amp seems cheaper and simpler and alot of people try it first but it usually isn't cause you just spend more $$$ to make it better later.

To paraphrase the saying gun owners always used, under powering and overpowering doesn't blow speakers. People do. You could take any set of speakers and run it at either 1/5th or 5 times the power they need all day every day with the volume barely nudged past two and they'll never melt down. It's what the user does with the HU controls and amp controls when our setup isn't giving us the sound we want that blows speakers. For a set like yours, most head units are rated similar to yours which is 16 watts rms, which means realistically at normal levels you're probably sending them anywhere from 5-10 watts. An amplifier rated for 40 or 50 watts would ensure the speakers are are receiving enough power on a continuous basis to get as loud as they should. This is why it is generally recommended to match or exceed the speaker's rms rating slightly so you get the volume and output you're looking for at moderate levels without being tempted to do something that will eventually kill them.

Eclpipse SC 8362 front 2 ways
Infinity Reference Rear Coaxials
Eclipse EA4200 mid/high
Alpine MRP-M500 sub amp
Pionier Premeer shallowmount 10
Alpine CDA 9883

ezekial130
11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
:clap: you win good sir! :clap:

thank you very much. but since i have new comps in the back i might as well get a four channel. so amps ranging from $100-$250 that do the trick? suggestions accepted. though i don't mind looking for one myself don't absolutely need you guys to do everything :laugh:

thanks!