PDA

View Full Version : Astra 777 , $200 installed, good deal?

Twistid
11-04-2008, 05:35 PM
I found the alarm for $80 on asianwolf, but a local store is offers it for $200 installed... Opinions?

Louisiana_CRX
11-10-2008, 01:24 AM
install it yourself and save $120 you can get your wiring colors from www.bulldogsecurity.com and they arn't much harder than hooking up a car audio system...average install time from start to finish should be 2-3 hours...depending on experience.....

IDSkoT
11-10-2008, 01:30 AM
install it yourself and save $120 you can get your wiring colors from www.bulldogsecurity.com and they arn't much harder than hooking up a car audio system...average install time from start to finish should be 2-3 hours...depending on experience.....

Well, it depends. You also need either Heat Shrinking crimper terminals, or expertise in soldering, not to mention AT LEAST a 30w soldering iron. Those wires are about 12-16 AWG, depending on the unit. It takes some time for a 30w soldering iron to heat up the wire enough for the solder to adhere to it.

I mean, when I did it, I had very little soldering expertise. It took me about 5 hours. 1-1/2 hours of that was me writhing in pain 'cause my soldering iron fell on my elbow (don't ask.) But, I kept on keeping on.

But don't be too afraid about it. Just take your time.

Materials needed:

DMM (Or test light... but a DMM is a lot safer.)
And:
Heat Shrinking Crimper Terminals
Crimpers
OR
Soldering Iron
Solder
Electrical Tape/Heat Shrink

Louisiana_CRX
11-10-2008, 01:33 AM
or you can get some t-taps and male connects like bestbuy and circuit city and do it in about an hour.....

Tehgregzor
11-10-2008, 03:50 PM
or you can get some t-taps and male connects like bestbuy and circuit city and do it in about an hour.....

Yeah, most of it is easy, the hardest part for me is finding that **** elusive RPM wire. Well...if its an alarm you won't have that problem, i guess i mean if its a remote start.

flores210
11-10-2008, 03:53 PM
wow thats kinda expensive bro cuz my dealer charges 200 installed with the alarm

Twistid
11-10-2008, 07:37 PM
wow thats kinda expensive bro cuz my dealer charges 200 installed with the alarm

Thats what it is...

Louisiana_CRX
11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah, most of it is easy, the hardest part for me is finding that **** elusive RPM wire. Well...if its an alarm you won't have that problem, i guess i mean if its a remote start.

You can get a tachless remote start...Astra makes those and they work fine...with a remote start added your probally looking another hour of time....you have about 5 more main wires to connect in the steering column...then a couple of protection safety circuits...the brake kill...and a hood pin switch which should already be connected via alarm....very simple do it your self basic novice stuff...if you have a newer car that needs a bypass box ..figure in another 30 minutes on hooking it up....and testing it

flores210
11-10-2008, 07:46 PM
oh i misread but he offer the microwave sensor shock and tilt in the package