PDA

View Full Version : Large High End Comps Need Input!

HypnoticCure
11-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Situation is this. I have decided to buy a C5 Vette. It is a matter of finding the "one" I am always really picky about my vehicles when I buy, so I tend to take a while to find one that fits my standards. Anyways, being an audio lover of course I'm going to put a system in it. I'm going to go with probably a single 12" SI Mag v2 sealed for my sub. My big dilemma is what speakers to go with. I donít have the free time I used to, to mess around with a diy approach so I would like to go with a set of comps.

I will have plenty of room to work in the Vette doors as they come with 8's or 9's factory, and have seen how big they are in there. I'm wanting to go with as big of mid as I can fit in there and am not scared of a possible 3 way. I will be putting the tweets in the upper door panel so I'm not crunched for space down there. I really want nice mid bass thatís super loud and clear.

In the past I have loved all my diamond speakers and some of my older MB Quarts from around Y2K (psd's and Q's). I also like Boston speakers as they often sound good to my ear. I have not liked Rainbow germs at all... They didnít get close to as loud as I wanted and left me wanting much more. So basically I donít like really laid back speakers Iím more of a in your face but still sound good type of listener who listens really loud.

I listen to everything from rap, rock, country old school music etc... Mostly rap and old R&B/Rock. Getting a realistic demo of any options locally is not really an option since most shops **** here and will proudly demo their JL or Sony comps all day but when it comes to high end they lack...

So Iím sure I will get some "go with xx brand" and I appreciate mentioning my options but I would really love several people with experience with the brands I have mentioned to give me some advice on some brands and lines to look into with my options for the large area I have to work with. Please include why you recommend them not just "because 50 other people here like them"

Thanks to anyone who contributes in advance I appreciate your time in helping me solve my speaker issue!

Oh yea Budget well Iíd love to keep it under $700 $300 would be awesome but more focused on a quality awesome sounding loud set of comps.

joshualittle
11-01-2008, 01:54 AM
U could get a nice set of dynaudio's or morel, check out wooferetc. Find a set of speakers that u like and pm datboiroy, he'll hook u up with the best prices.

HypnoticCure
11-01-2008, 01:57 AM
Those are the two brands i have been looking at but not really sure what lines would closest match my listening prefs.

lyttleviet
11-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Those are the two brands i have been looking at but not really sure what lines would closest match my listening prefs.

For your budget, depending on the type of power you have... I'd suggest either the Hybrid Ovation 6, or the Dotech Ovation 6. Both of those would be GREAT.

HypnoticCure
11-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Thank you, I expected those to be mentioned. I have yet to speak to anyone who has heard them and can give an accurate discription of their performance. Anyone else have any input or exp. w/ these ? Or any other options to toss out there?

kmanian
11-02-2008, 01:31 AM
I have the Critical mass set up that you would absolutely love. 8" midbass, 6" mids and 1" tweets, all neo thin line. PM me if your intrested.

bones22
11-02-2008, 01:01 AM
I have the Critical mass set up that you would absolutely love. 8" midbass, 6" mids and 1" tweets, all neo thin line. PM me if your intrested.

you better keep at least a set of the 6.5 comps for me:furious:

viscid240
11-02-2008, 03:04 AM
DLS Iridium 6.3i or even the 2-way set.

Heard them a while back were nice. I think a help would include what type of power you have. Or better yet if you have a set max price for amp/comp. set you would like to stay at.

Those Hybrids would be freakin' awesome. Wish I could roll that or even dotechs but kind of want sound now. so I am going the Tempo 6 route.

congrats on the c5. Care to run some BAER BRAKES??

HypnoticCure
11-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, I will match the power to the speakers needs. I'm not scared of running power hungry speakers though. I fully plan on a set wanting a couple hundred clean watts. So I'm really mostly focused on the speakers at this point. As far as breaks go, bear could be in my pads future. Will depend on the mod route i take.

mlstrass
11-02-2008, 11:26 AM
moneybags runs the HAT 8" 3-way set up. I've only heard them a few times, so I can't really comment. Shoot him a PM and see what he thinks. He listens to a variety of music and does like to play them loud, so he should have some solid feedback.

kmanian
11-02-2008, 11:42 AM
you better keep at least a set of the 6.5 comps for me:furious:
Don't worry I have 2;)

headless
11-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Get a set of power line CS's. If they don't get loud enough for you, you'll need horns and a 3 way setup. I was not happy with my germaniums either...so i got the power line cs. They are a totally different class. I don't think you will see a huge improvement in volume/output over the germaniums for under 700$ though.

I took these pics of the germs next to the power line woofers...

http://headless.shackspace.com/GermPowerlineCS1.jpg
http://headless.shackspace.com/GermPowerlineCS2.jpg

As you can see, the difference is pretty extreme. Comparing them to the germs is like comparing the germs to the stock woofers that came in my camry ;)

The power line cs are ~1000$, though. You'll want ~250-300watts per channel to them. :) The CS comes with silk tweeters and can be tuned down to sound laid back but on axis with the crossovers set aggressively the cal-27's are very loud and clear.

lyttleviet
11-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Glad you have lots of power to run. Morels love lots of power :)

SQChevy
11-03-2008, 10:57 AM
I think you can sometimes find Focal K2P setup for about that much online. I haven't looked in a while, but they can take a lot of power and really rock out on all types of music and they sound great.

redcalimp5
11-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Get a set of power line CS's. If they don't get loud enough for you, you'll need horns and a 3 way setup. I was not happy with my germaniums either...so i got the power line cs. They are a totally different class. I don't think you will see a huge improvement in volume/output over the germaniums for under 700$ though.

I took these pics of the germs next to the power line woofers...

http://headless.shackspace.com/GermPowerlineCS1.jpg
http://headless.shackspace.com/GermPowerlineCS2.jpg

As you can see, the difference is pretty extreme. Comparing them to the germs is like comparing the germs to the stock woofers that came in my camry ;)

The power line cs are ~1000$, though. You'll want ~250-300watts per channel to them. :) The CS comes with silk tweeters and can be tuned down to sound laid back but on axis with the crossovers set aggressively the cal-27's are very loud and clear.

Here's a set of the Powerline CS's used in the UK for $565 BIN on Ebay. Even with $100 USD for shipping, it still comes out to being under your $700 budget limit. Or you could make him an offer, and he'd probably accept it. They've been up for a few days now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160295476046

headless
11-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Here's a set of the Powerline CS's used in the UK for $565 BIN on Ebay. Even with $100 USD for shipping, it still comes out to being under your $700 budget limit. Or you could make him an offer, and he'd probably accept it. They've been up for a few days now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160295476046

Wow, that is a ****ing good deal on those power line CS. Jump on that ****. Noticed he doesn't have the box though...i wonder how he'll pack it ;) The box was rather specialized for these; lots of foam custom molded to the basket and magnet dimensions.

HypnoticCure
11-03-2008, 07:32 PM
I would have to tell ya guys i was sooooooo dissapointed in the germs when i had them that it is hard to give rainbow another shot. Thanks for that link if it was in the state i would be strongly considering it as i know the sets are completely diff. I really dont like dealing with over seas. Those morel elates sure seem to fit the bill just 2x the pric e i would like to spend lol.
The more i look into things going with a two way large active setup might be my only option for the price range and my expectations. I really am stumped. I appreciate all the input though from everyone. I'm going to continue to sit on this one and i will for sure update everyone when i make a final choice. Keep the input comming though and if anyone knows a place in northern cali that demos morel's please let me know, I would love to hear some.

headless
11-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Just sayin'...the power line cs on 300w a side get louder than my single kicker 10" CVR in a ported box can manage to possibly keep up with and it's tuned for SPL... good luck with your search, though - i know how it is to be turned away from a brand based on a bad experience. Do consider, though, that the power line cs are not directly comparable to the germaniums at all. They're the step above the profi's :)

TSGP
11-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Steve has the Morel Supremos in his truck....

9'' midbass in the kicks

just changed out the 6.5'' midrange for 5.25'' scan speaks in the doors and morel supremo tweeters in the a pillar

active with a h701 and zapco digital amps.....SUPER impressive!

bterz
11-04-2008, 12:41 AM
I spent 275 on my Morel Tempo 6's and im amazed. I can't even imagine how good a speaker would sound with double the budget..

goodluck on whatever you find. My Morel's play much better then the HSK's I've heard, if that gives you any comparison.

Lyttleviet has told me nothing but amazing things about the Dotechs