PDA

View Full Version : need 5.25"s and 6x9s

anks106
10-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I am looking for suggestions, I presented my own ideas a couple months ago but realized I should probably just listen to what those who actually know what they are doing have to say.

Here is my situation.

I drive a pontiac grand prix

I have 2 5.25 inch components up front and 2 6x9"s in the rear deck.

I cannot spare any trunk space at all, so no subs.

I want to keep my head unit.

I am on a budget, preferably $300 but I can move that number if needed.

My music preferences are rock and metal - bands like Korn, Disturbed, Metallica, Helloween. I also listen to rock such as Breaking Benjamin, Green Day, Three Days Grace, Linkin Park, Red Hot chilli Peppers. The stock system *****, I just want to be able to listen to the music the way it was supposed to be.. loud. But I don't want distortion when I do. I have listened to the mark levinson system in a Lexus LS430, and honestly I don't know much about car audio, but thats the best I have heard? Can something with that type of clarity be done for my price?

Also, as stock the rear 6x9s only do bass and highs, I like this setup as it makes things feel evened out and not distorted from the back seat. If it is keepable I'd prefer to do that, but again if it is not.. thats fine.

lyttleviet
10-31-2008, 02:37 AM
Check out the ARC KS 5.25 and 6x9.. pretty impressive and well within your budget. Sounds like you aren't going to use an amp so this is what I would do.

Hoodlum007
10-31-2008, 06:56 AM
Image Dynamics CTX speakers have to be the best sounding speaker i have ever heard and owned.

anks106
10-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, I'm assuming any aftermarket speakers will sound like crap powered by the stock h/u so I will use an amp, does that change the suggestions?

Horsemanwill
10-31-2008, 05:32 PM
actually the Image Dynamics CTX line are great drop in factory replacement speakers and work excellent off of a stock deck. they are very effecient speakers . what year pontiac grand prix? my parents car is a 2002 and it has 6.5s up front. here's a link for the authorized ID dealer. http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=14&mfg_account_ID=36&category_id=9 remember it's the ctx dropins your lookin for. if by chance you can fit a 6.5 up front i'd go with this http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6201

anks106
10-31-2008, 05:49 PM
It is a 2000, your parents car likely was modded to handle the 6.5s as no stock Grand Prix from 97-03 came with 6.5s up front.

I am not sure what you mean by drop ins, but would this be what I am looking for?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=910

Louisiana_CRX
10-31-2008, 05:55 PM
The Digital Designs 5 1/4 componets...are great componets ...these have been compared to Boston Pros older MB Quarts.....ect...very nice build quality and awesome SQ...PM me if intrested....

Horsemanwill
10-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Ya if your door takes that size. wow guess your right i always thought from the size of the factory grill it takes a 6.5 but after lookin at my sources it is a 5.25 . ya that's a drop in speaker basically it should just fit right in and with 3" of depth to work with you should be fine.

lyttleviet
10-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Ya if your door takes that size. wow guess your right i always thought from the size of the factory grill it takes a 6.5 but after lookin at my sources it is a 5.25 . ya that's a drop in speaker basically it should just fit right in and with 3" of depth to work with you should be fine.

The CTX sets plus amp won't fit his bill.

Horsemanwill
10-31-2008, 06:33 PM
The CTX sets plus amp won't fit his bill.

he didn't say amp he said off the factory deck

also later he said he will use an amp didn't say if he had to buy one

lyttleviet
10-31-2008, 06:40 PM
he didn't say amp he said off the factory deck

also later he said he will use an amp didn't say if he had to buy one

You think the CTX will run off of the HU and sound good?

Horsemanwill
10-31-2008, 06:40 PM
You think the CTX will run off of the HU and sound good?

yes i do i run a set if the ctx4 off an old 82 cadie deck and it sound just fine.

lyttleviet
10-31-2008, 07:27 PM
yes i do i run a set if the ctx4 off an old 82 cadie deck and it sound just fine.

I guess we just have different opinions on what sounds good :(

I've run that set off of a Eclipse cd5100 and they really needed an amp to come alive.

Horsemanwill
10-31-2008, 09:43 PM
well depending on the budget of the person and what they want to spend the ctx sound better then a factory speaker on a factory deck. yes and amp will bring them to life but for just speaker replacements off a factory deck they sound good. you can bring factory speakers to life with an outboard amp.

anks106
11-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Well, Stupid question.. is that link for 1 or 2? I would think they would sell speakers in pairs, but I have been wrong before. What would you suggest for the 6x9s?

Horsemanwill
11-01-2008, 03:56 PM
the ctx are sold in pairs there are also 6x9 ctx speakers on there too. http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5558