PDA

View Full Version : Horns, what are they good for?

er1kkull
07-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Dont see many folks with these things. could it be that they are huge for such a small thing....... are they really worth it in music quality to try and find a spot to put these things with out it looking crappy. what are the basics of a horn what they do so good?

paikiah
07-11-2003, 09:25 PM
ask Mark, he runs them.
Horns are ultra efficient drivers. The mounting ***** big time, but once you can find a decent mounting area (90% of the time below the dash), I think most would be happy with the result. Could be a tad loud though.

Oh, and horns can reproduce lower frequencies than a tweeter (i think)

Mark would have a much better explanation to this.

ss3079
07-11-2003, 09:33 PM
I run the CD1Pro MH's...mounted under the dash. Used to run them off an Arc Audio 4150 with an attenuator, but they were soooooo loud. So I put them on deck power and they seem better.

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/website/products/horns.html

- Steve

Mark_ab
07-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Dont see many folks with these things. could it be that they are huge for such a small thing....... are they really worth it in music quality to try and find a spot to put these things with out it looking crappy. what are the basics of a horn what they do so good?

You don't see many people with them for several reasons. They are rather esoteric firstly, they are rather pricey, and, as aformentioned, they are a ***** to get in most cars. Are they worth it? Depends on how **** you are about sound quality, what you're willing to sacrifice, and if you're competing or not. You can put them under your dash and make a faux grille for them or something and they look fine. Horns are basically just a loaded compression driver (piezo tweeter) attached to a horn body that acts similarly to what you'd see in stadium loudspeakers at concerts and things like that. Keep in mind, you NEED to EQ these, and they are very sensitive, so minimal power is required (or an attenuator).

SPLThunder
07-12-2003, 12:14 AM
designing a good horn for a speaker can produce up to a 10 db gain over the same speaker w/o one. If you had a semi (ive always wanted to see this) you could make a horn for a SUB

paikiah
07-12-2003, 12:18 AM
designing a good horn for a speaker can produce up to a 10 db gain over the same speaker w/o one. If you had a semi (ive always wanted to see this) you could make a horn for a SUB

won't most drivers have lack of compression or power to do this? Or was that less efficiency for a normal amp to push the drivers to do so...

also, I saw a subhorn made under an AV room (it was posted on the forum awhile back)

SPLThunder
07-12-2003, 01:00 PM
won't most drivers have lack of compression or power to do this? Or was that less efficiency for a normal amp to push the drivers to do so...

also, I saw a subhorn made under an AV room (it was posted on the forum awhile back)

The basics of a horn are the horn has to be at least one wavelength of the lowest note played and the opening has to be 1/4 of that wavelength across. Ive never heard anythign about compression troubles if the horn is built right.

The only reason i know of that they arent used more in car audio is the space required. a driver playing 1130 HZ has to have a foot long horn. Not to many places to put that in a regular car.

Omarvelous
08-02-2004, 06:12 PM
hmmmm....interested in these horns......

Needs space? Something i have! Advantages of a truck.

Was on the ID Max site, lookint at the CS HLDC Comp Set, it's a Horn and a Midbass.

Lets say i got this Horn set or maybe just the horns, would it make the tweeter almost not necessary?

Do horns require enclosures?

Are horns more vocal?

Will have more for you guys later

squeak9798
08-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Lets say i got this Horn set or maybe just the horns, would it make the tweeter almost not necessary?

The tweeter would be unnecessary if you got horns. Without equalization, most horns roll off around 12khz or so, so some people run super tweeters in their pillars. But if the horns are setup properly, tweeters are unnecessary.

Do horns require enclosures?

No

Are horns more vocal?

Horns are more dynamic and lively IMO. If you haven't heard horns before, it may be a good idea to try to listen to a pair before you lay out the cash for a pair. Some people love them, some people hate them.

With conventional speakers, you are generally listening just as much to reflections as you are the speaker. With horns, the sound hits you directly without all the reflections.

I just installed my Illusion Audio CH1 horns over the weekend......and OMG I am in love :veryexci: They get ungodly loud with less than 20w, and tonally they simply sound superb. Definitely needs some equalization (sounds a little harsh), but overall I love them so far.

InhumanAcura
08-02-2004, 08:28 PM
My CD-1E's fit under my dash w/o any mod's...I give ID some props.

Omarvelous
08-02-2004, 11:28 PM
hmm ok i'm understanding more.

Can i see a pic of the horn mounted Inhuman??

Omarvelous
08-02-2004, 11:38 PM
what kind of music are horns designed for?

Like would it be good for rap/reggae? Thats mainly what i listen too.

ss3079
08-03-2004, 12:08 PM
http://www.caraudioreview.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?p=702631#post702631

- Steve

Omarvelous
08-03-2004, 03:23 PM
what kind of music are horns designed for?

Like would it be good for rap/reggae? Thats mainly what i listen too.

or would it be generally good for all types of music??

And thanks alot for that link SS

squeak9798
08-03-2004, 03:41 PM
All types of music.

ss3079
08-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Especially very high female voices and 60+ watts on each one.

- Steve

zephyr
08-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Some compression driver needs a lot of EQing and some don't. I use very little EQ for my CD1pro as the original reponse curve is very smooth even without EQ. People even say my system sounds "laid back" for a horn setup :D.

Installation is as stealth as it can be. Horns under the dash covered with grill cloth, midbass in the doors stock location. No one knows there's a system in the car.

It's fun to see people lift my dash pad to see if there's a speaker underneath it :D.

Bavarian3
08-03-2004, 09:49 PM
i have some cd1pro MH waiting to be installed. Just gota wait for my cadence amp to be replaced and for the IDQ midbass to be fixed..

Omarvelous
08-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Hmmm...... very interesting...

So instead of spending mone on comps..... can just get a horn and maybe a 10" Midbass OR 2 6.5" Kodas....

I need to hear it first b4 i make a def decision! Any1 in NYC with a horn?

Bavarian3
08-03-2004, 11:41 PM

So instead of spending mone on comps..... can just get a horn and maybe a 10" Midbass OR 2 6.5" Kodas....

I need to hear it first b4 i make a def decision! Any1 in NYC with a horn?
prettty much.....i would run 1 midbass driver per horn.

squeak9798
08-03-2004, 11:48 PM

That's what I'm doing. Horns under my dash (installed already), and a 10" mid is going in each door (needs to be installed still).

BenW
08-05-2004, 03:25 PM
ive got cd2 comp mini horns mounted under the dash and with no eq yet, they sound real **** good. piano sections of bela fleck are incredible.

jlaine
08-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Dedicated 10" "midrange/midbass" in general is a poor idea - I can think of a few that may work, but it's definitely not something I'd generally do.

Most decent 10" midbass won't be capable of covering quad digit response without reacting like a turd near crossover point.

Bavarian3
08-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Most decent 10" midbass won't be capable of covering quad digit response without reacting like a turd near crossover point.
:laugh: i agree though. i would go with an 8" dynaudio mid or something...

ss3079
08-05-2004, 08:57 PM
The best sounding mid I used was the Koda. I think. Was missing something until I plugged the EQ in. Makes a world of difference you know, if something is plugged in.

- Steve

supa_c
08-05-2004, 08:59 PM
to answer the title^, honking, they do that best:)

squeak9798
08-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Dedicated 10" "midrange/midbass" in general is a poor idea - I can think of a few that may work, but it's definitely not something I'd generally do.

The gossip I hear is that my ND-10 should do the job pretty well. We'll soon find out I guess :evil: If not, oh well, I'll throw an Audax PR170M0 in the kicks and be just as happy (maybe even happier :D ). I wanna try out a 10 doing it all first though, just to see how she does.........

Omarvelous
08-05-2004, 11:55 PM
Ok, i think i'mma go for the horns, and wait XXX Mids to come out OR go for the Kodas. 2 each door, make for an easier install in the doors anyway.

I know ID makes horns, any other companys???

squeak9798
08-06-2004, 09:45 AM
USD Audio - www.usdaudio.com, Illusion Audio CH1 (<--- out of production, so you would have to try to find them used)

zephyr
08-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Ok, i think i'mma go for the horns, and wait XXX Mids to come out OR go for the Kodas. 2 each door, make for an easier install in the doors anyway.

I know ID makes horns, any other companys???
USD, illusion, and Veritas. Veritas is one of the best, hard to find though.