PDA

View Full Version : Swtchable Ports

Biohazard
07-11-2003, 01:21 PM
Can anyone tell me how to build one of these things?

How do you keep it sealed tighly if it can remove?

Thanks

F150Matt
07-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Can anyone tell me how to build one of these things?

How do you keep it sealed tighly if it can remove?

Thanks

Build the box with the bigger SPL port so that it will be a permanent part of the box. After doing so, build another port that will screw down over the big SPL port. Use WinISD to help with tuning, remember your net volume will likely change a good bit with the daily port in, so compensate for that in your tuning. Good luck.

F150Matt
07-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Just thought about that a lil more, you might want to make the SPL port removable too, usually if your serious about it you'll retune at least a couple times until u get it just right. So basically build the box and then make some different ports, there are many ways to do it, just depends what you want to do.

Trixter
07-12-2003, 11:11 AM
I make my port completely removable. Slid one out and the other one in. Personally I don't think it needs to be sealed to the box. If you think about it, the air is going to take the easiest way out of the box, through the port. Not much, if any, will escape from between the box and the port.
-just me theory, I could be wrong, it happened once before.

spyd3r
07-17-2003, 09:20 PM
I can't agree with having leaky ports....

Try drilling a hole in a ported box.... and then push your sub a bit....there's not such a big performance drop...but the air leak will be annoying as h3lLL.

Just find out your resonant frequency of the car if you plan on competing for your spl por and make that the permamnet portt...then tune a removable port to mid low 30's for your daily driving.

Keeping the enclosure air tight is a must.... :D Don't take too much effort. The whole point of portin to a desired frequency is for the sub to not reproduce any frequncies lower than the tuning. If you have a leak....then your tunning will most likely rise.

Think of air as a dense volume of gas. It doesn't just take the least restrictive path.. it gets in everywhere. ;)