PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placements( SQ related)

headshok
10-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi guys,

i don really post here much, i'm more on termpro and ROE..

anyway, i'm from Singapore,

for us down here, people always put the tweeters either on the dash or A pillars.

for those who are more into the SQ, their tweets/mid range are either in metal pods mounted onto the A pillar OR the A pillar is fabricated.

my question is, how does having the tweeters/ mids in the A pillar compare to that of having them in the kicks?

lets assume we have a H701 rigged up to an alpine 9887..

how different will the image be?

very little people down here have experience with kickpods ( due to RHD cars down here),

i'm planning out my new ride,

i'm currently running a set of Dynaudio Esotar tweets now ( mofo big asses), in my new ride, there's no way i can fit my mid range ( still in the planning works, should be a 4 " mid range) and my Esotar together on the A pillar.

i'm thinkin about putting the mid range in the kicks.

but some people tell me that having the mids so far from the tweets is not good.

what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

boomzilla
10-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Best advice is to buy whatever speakers you want for the dash/pillar/doorpanel, then before installing, hook them up to the amp, and move the speakers from location to location for what YOU think is the best imaging/ sound. When you feel these spots are the good spots, start building and see how it all sounds.

And all of your friends/ people you know have different preferences is sound. This hobby is about making the music sound good for YOU, not anyone else, unless you're that kind of person... But anyhow, setup those speakers any which way you can, try different combinations, you may come up with some really good crazy sounding stuff.

headshok
10-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Best advice is to buy whatever speakers you want for the dash/pillar/doorpanel, then before installing, hook them up to the amp, and move the speakers from location to location for what YOU think is the best imaging/ sound. When you feel these spots are the good spots, start building and see how it all sounds.

thanks for the quick reply man

but in general, those who have their 3 way mounted in the kicks, is the sound stage low?

boomzilla
10-23-2008, 10:25 AM
It really depends on how you percieve the sound yourself. Everyone is different, so the best way to figure the sound stage is to buy the speakers, move them around to different spots, until you find the ones that sound perfect to you. And In a way it could make the stage sound lower, and some people like that, some like surround, where the sound comes from all directions, etc.

FoxPro5
10-23-2008, 10:42 AM
but some people tell me that having the mids so far from the tweets is not good.

Don't listen to those people. They cannot hear your ears. /thread

headshok
10-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Don't listen to those people. They cannot hear your ears. /thread

haahhaa

FoxPro5
10-23-2008, 10:45 AM
thanks for the quick reply man

but in general, those who have their 3 way mounted in the kicks, is the sound stage low?

The only musical information in my car that's physically located above the dash is from 6.3khz and up. My stage is at the level of my tweeters...6" above the dash...give or take. All the rest of the sound spectrum comes from below and behind.

The legendary Speakerworks GN had horns under the dash, and midbass behind the rear doors. All the sound was physically eminating from under or behind your ears. I'm sure that stage was wide and high.

Stereo (or something attempting it) is an illusion. ////thread

:)

headshok
10-23-2008, 01:43 PM
The only musical information in my car that's physically located above the dash is from 6.3khz and up. My stage is at the level of my tweeters...6" above the dash...give or take. All the rest of the sound spectrum comes from below and behind.

The legendary Speakerworks GN had horns under the dash, and midbass behind the rear doors. All the sound was physically eminating from under or behind your ears. I'm sure that stage was wide and high.

Stereo (or something attempting it) is an illusion. ////thread

:)

heya.

thanks for the input. off topic, ur tweets are crossed quite high!

FoxPro5
10-23-2008, 02:44 PM
heya.

thanks for the input. off topic, ur tweets are crossed quite high!

That's because I don't want to hear them. I want to listen to my music, instead.

headshok
10-23-2008, 02:46 PM
That's because I don't want to hear them. I want to listen to my music, instead.

haha

i'm currently 2 way active, my tweets are crossed at 2.5k, 24db slope.. heeh.. i love my tweets.. hehe

lyttleviet
10-23-2008, 03:35 PM
I'll be running both my tweeter and midrange in the kicks so I will keep you posted. Should be done before NOV 9th.

buggsson
10-23-2008, 06:23 PM
I'll be running both my tweeter and midrange in the kicks so I will keep you posted. Should be done before NOV 9th.

I'll be looking forward to that.

PaulD
10-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I have mids and tweets in the kicks, the soundstage is like 4-6" above the dash. If you have something like the H701, installing the mids in the kicks and tweeters in the a-pillars is not the big sin it's made out to be. Vertical seperation of drivers is not nearly as difficult to tame with T/A and crossover points as horizontal seperation because of the way our hearing works (we have an ear on each side, not on the top and bottom).