PDA

View Full Version : looking for mids with a catch

IgnoreMe
10-22-2008, 10:29 PM
just noticed today one of my pro60 mids is distorting pretty bad :(

but i guess thats what you get sending 300 watts daily to a set rated for "125 watts".

so im looking to replace the mids, while trying to keep the xovers. the mids are 3 ohms, but i have succefully used cdt tweets with these xovers as well and they seemed to work fine so i dont think im **** out of luck by buying another mid.

soooo, anyone have any idea on what mids i might be able to purchase that are reletively cheap?

im thinking these...

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264323

Horsemanwill
10-22-2008, 11:02 PM
the oems have gotten rave reviews from the ppl that use them.

ngsm13
10-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Run active...

nG

Hoodlum007
10-23-2008, 12:02 AM
The TI Elite P.G. mids are very nice mids around $125 bucks a pair or so. The Elite mids used to retail for around $500. a pair years back and are the same mids as the Morel Elates.

IgnoreMe
10-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Run active...

nG

trying to go hella cheap here ng. active sounds fun, but car audio has been on the back burner for a while. maybe in the future.

IgnoreMe
10-23-2008, 01:01 AM
The TI Elite P.G. mids are very nice mids around $125 bucks a pair or so. The Elite mids used to retail for around $500. a pair years back and are the same mids as the Morel Elates.

thank you.

duece212
10-23-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm probably soon to be in the same boat....thinking about cranking the pro60's till they blow so I have an excuse to get new drivers. Really not impressed at how high I have to cross them to be able to send them decent power :crap:

redfred18t
10-23-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm probably soon to be in the same boat....thinking about cranking the pro60's till they blow so I have an excuse to get new drivers. Really not impressed at how high I have to cross them to be able to send them decent power :crap:

How high are they crossed? I'm just curious because I'm probably going to be throwing 300+ watts at my set of pro60's when I put them in :waycrazy:

duece212
10-23-2008, 01:22 AM
How high are they crossed? I'm just curious because I'm probably going to be throwing 300+ watts at my set of pro60's when I put them in :waycrazy:

Mine are at 90hz on a kicker 550.2

/threadjack

UCF52
10-23-2008, 01:22 AM
What is your Boston crossover band passing the mid channel at?

The ID OEM's are pretty sweet. It's nice that they can play pretty well up to 4khz without breaking up. If these are going in the doors I wouldn't want them crossed any higher than 2.5khz - to avoid beaming.

IgnoreMe
10-23-2008, 09:55 AM
What is your Boston crossover band passing the mid channel at?

The ID OEM's are pretty sweet. It's nice that they can play pretty well up to 4khz without breaking up. If these are going in the doors I wouldn't want them crossed any higher than 2.5khz - to avoid beaming.

thats the thing, i have no idea, i guess ill have to find the paper work with the box, but even then im not swure that it would be listed on it, would it? anyone know off the top of their heads the answer to this particular question? also, whats "beaming"/?

duece: what i find a little ridiculous, is that my pro60's NEED a 300w rated amp to even get loud. i have no idea where boston pulled the 125w figure out from. they are quiet as hell with that amount of power. i mean they probably arent getting 300w from the amp, but i could imagine putting them on an amp thats RATED for 125 watts :crazy:

duece212
10-23-2008, 11:09 AM
thats the thing, i have no idea, i guess ill have to find the paper work with the box, but even then im not swure that it would be listed on it, would it? anyone know off the top of their heads the answer to this particular question? also, whats "beaming"/?

duece: what i find a little ridiculous, is that my pro60's NEED a 300w rated amp to even get loud. i have no idea where boston pulled the 125w figure out from. they are quiet as hell with that amount of power. i mean they probably arent getting 300w from the amp, but i could imagine putting them on an amp thats RATED for 125 watts :crazy:

Mine get downright loud off of 200w per side. My cdt ef's had way more midbass and just had a warmer sound overall. They were in a different install, maybe I deadened/sealed the doors better in that install but I sure thought I did a good job on this install too.

I just grabbed my boston box and unfortunately I don't have the paperwork anymore to check crossover specs :crap:

redfred18t
10-23-2008, 12:57 PM
There really is not a lot of information regarding the crossovers

I think the only specifications I have is that it says "frequency range from 50 to 22k hz"

Very vague for the lose

UCF52
10-23-2008, 03:53 PM

I remember my RSd passives had some wired x-over points and slopes and it didn't seem ideal - that's why I ask.

Here is a good explanation of what beaming is:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46355&highlight=beaming

One thing that is nice about the OEM's as well is that they are stupid efficient. I believe I had to turn my gains down after replacing my RSd mids.

IgnoreMe
10-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Mine get downright loud off of 200w per side. My cdt ef's had way more midbass and just had a warmer sound overall. They were in a different install, maybe I deadened/sealed the doors better in that install but I sure thought I did a good job on this install too.

I just grabbed my boston box and unfortunately I don't have the paperwork anymore to check crossover specs :crap:

maybe im going deaf? :crying:

ucf52: thank for the info. i think im just gonna pick up a pair of the oems and see what happens. even if they dont work that well its better than that ****** *** crackling noise.