PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter Question ??????

Sicknercay
07-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Hey,

Ok right now in my car i have 2 front and 2 rear speakers and a reciever that powers those. I like the rear speakers but the fronts dont have very good tweeters. I want to get a pair of 1 or 2'' tweeters but my reciever only powers 4 channels and those are already taken up by the front and back speakers. SO my question is how can i wire the tweeters without taking out any of the speakers i have now, and if i can wire them will i need an amp for extra power?

willll
07-20-2003, 09:22 PM
you could replace the speakers in the front with some that have good tweeters, or if you just want some tweeters, you could wire the tweeters in parallel (tweet pos/neg to speaker pos/neg) and that should work, but if you want cleaner sound, you should get inline filters/passive crossovers for the tweeters so that you dont get too much distortion. or you could by like a 50w amp with a high pass filter to power the tweeters. are you using the stock H/U or is it aftermarket?

MikeofTulsa
07-20-2003, 09:27 PM
only prob w/ parallel wiring is most h/u's cant handle the 2ohm load...

willll
07-20-2003, 09:53 PM
mine can :D
fine, then you can wire in series. most tweets are 8ohm, so you do the math with a 4ohm mid. parallel would be like 2.6, series would be 12 ohm, guess you need a separate amp.

bean
07-21-2003, 11:53 AM
If you simply add those tweeters to the speakers in the door you are going to fry them. Parallel, series or otherwise. I say this because neither of you mentioned a crossover of any kind.

My recomendation (for whatever it's worth) replace the entire speakers system up front. Or better yet, buy an amplifier to power the speakers you have in the front now. that will make them sound better.

B&R Innovation2
07-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Man you guys are pretty stupid

Every single set of tweeters that I have ever bought (around 20) have came with either an inline crossover or a passive right at the tweeter.

Wire it in series your HU can handle it just fine
and if your door speakers happen to be 8 ohm speakers wire it in parallel...

You HU can handel 4 ohhms

bean
07-21-2003, 01:49 PM
Stupid huh? Well be careful what you wish for. There are a ton of spelling and gramatical mistakes to your post. If you're going to slam somebody for being stupid spell ohm correctly.....idiot.

Oh yeah, and anyone that would spend the money on 20 pair of tweeters has no idea how to make a car stereo sound better.

Man you guys are pretty stupid

Every single set of tweeters that I have ever bought (around 20) have came with either an inline crossover or a passive right at the tweeter.

Wire it in series your HU can handle it just fine
and if your door speakers happen to be 8 ohm speakers wire it in parallel...

You HU can handel 4 ohhms

B&R Innovation2
07-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Yeah woo spelling and grammatical errors...I really don't care. I spell better than half the people on the forums and I'm clearly calling you stupid for another reason. I did happen to spell ohm right on one line and in the following line spelled it wrong. So in that short time I forgot how to spell it, probably not. Anyways are you my English professor? No...you aren't so STFU. Also, what was this I was wishing for in my post that you referred too? Refresh my memory as I’m reading over what I wrote this morning and I never once ask for a wish of any sort. On a final note, "gramatical" is spelled grammatical.

Willl clearly spoke of inline filters/passive crossovers in his post three above yours. So the entire first part of your last post was worthless. Yes replacing the entire front end would be the best way to increase SQ up front. But being cost effective a pair of tweeters ran into the front channels would allow the user to both raise the front stage as well as allow much more crisp clear high frequencies.

Finally on your fun kick at the fact I've bought a multitude of tweeters (not including component sets). Do you run an install bay? How often to friends come to you and ask, “Hey let me have you order my equipment so I don’t get ripped off”. Your post seems to assume that I have 20+ sets installed in a single vehicle, well that’s a very educated interpretation. :nono:

willll
07-21-2003, 06:12 PM
bean is right, $20 tweeters ****. i got a $35 pair of jensens from wal-mart and they are killer. thank you B&R for pointing out my earlier reccomendation. I agree with you that every pair of tweeters (or even 2-ways with tweeters) have a relatively small crossover soldered to the tweeter, but i added inline filters which look the same as the ones on the tweeters, but are like 5x the size, and they reduce distortion. i think the guy should wire them in series and try them and make sure that they draw enough power whith such a high resistance. i forget what kind of head unit he has, but my pioneer deh p4400 can handel a 2 ohm load on the speaker outs. bean is a poophead.