PDA

View Full Version : port masters...

mgaidica
07-10-2003, 08:08 PM
http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=309446&page=3

if u havent already guessed, the straight part of the K is going to be the port. The port is something like 32 " long, so it has to bend because im given like 13" depth..

So plan A, or B?

ramos
07-10-2003, 08:25 PM

if u havent already guessed, the straight part of the K is going to be the port. The port is something like 32 " long, so it has to bend because im given like 13" depth..

So plan A, or B?

Here's just a thought after looking at your drawings. Seems to me that A would act like a shorter port. And B would act as a long port giving you your desired tuning if that makes any sense to you at all. So I give my vote to B :)

ramos
07-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Well now that I look at it again. I believe B wouldn't work. The port wall that starts from the back side of the k >k . Would need to go all the way to the rear of the enclosure in order for the port to be one continuous body. So what I would suggest is to slant the port to the closest side wall. That way you could use the side of the enclosure as well. Plus it would give you a way to hide a neon in the box. And paint the inside of the port white. And make the port look like it's glowing. :)

slipknot87420
07-10-2003, 08:36 PM
personally i dont see how either would work because as i see it the problem with B is the2 pieces on the right would just get in the way of the port that goes in but maybe if you connected the piece on the left to the other side of the box it would work but you would also lose airspace...this is just a theory, so i wouldnt go by what i say ;)

slipknot87420
07-10-2003, 08:38 PM
ahhh beat me to it

ramos
07-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Something like this maybe :)

mgaidica
07-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Something like this maybe :)

yehh.. now that i look at it.. ur hypothesis on port B seems correct.. either ill just make the left side of the K a wall (wont matter to much, just alittle bit of airspace.. ), or do ur idea.. not sure.. I think making the one side a wall will be to easy to pass up though.. cause the port is not only on an angle, but the front baffle is on an angle..

BDIDDY
07-10-2003, 11:41 PM

So plan A, or B?

This kid, he's older than me, amazes me more and more everyday. Man you do nice work. I need to get on doing something in my trunk just to lazy. Many props for you and your nice boxes. :D

mgaidica
07-11-2003, 12:05 AM
This kid, he's older than me, amazes me more and more everyday. Man you do nice work. I need to get on doing something in my trunk just to lazy. Many props for you and your nice boxes. :D

thanks for the props bro.. I'll make sure to let u all know when its carpeted/painted.. The inside of the port will be a deep glossy red, the rest of the K a gloss black, keeping the Kicker logo theme. Then it all will be carpeted charcoal, so the "L7" part will be "sunken" along with the sub being sunken.. should look good... thanks again.

BDIDDY
07-11-2003, 12:13 AM
thanks for the props bro.. I'll make sure to let u all know when its carpeted/painted.. The inside of the port will be a deep glossy red, the rest of the K a gloss black, keeping the Kicker logo theme. Then it all will be carpeted charcoal, so the "L7" part will be "sunken" along with the sub being sunken.. should look good... thanks again.

I cant believe you are putting all of this time into a spl box, which is what is is right? Man thats awesome to see someone else my age doing this instead of out smoking or anything like that. Very, Very good work.

mgaidica
07-11-2003, 12:18 AM
I cant believe you are putting all of this time into a spl box, which is what is is right? Man thats awesome to see someone else my age doing this instead of out smoking or anything like that. Very, Very good work.

this box is for a customer.. 35 hz.. Just got done with what u see today.. should have it completed by monday (hopefully)..

BDIDDY
07-11-2003, 12:22 AM
I know I got off of the subject but I would go with A. B looks like it doesnt have the wall go all the way to the back of the box. B has it though. Hard to explain.

mgaidica
07-11-2003, 12:29 AM
I know I got off of the subject but I would go with A. B looks like it doesnt have the wall go all the way to the back of the box. B has it though. Hard to explain.

yeh, im going with a B type.. well going with this actually..

lost air space, but **** happens, ya know..

BDIDDY
07-11-2003, 12:32 AM
yeh, im going with a B type.. well going with this actually..

lost air space, but **** happens, ya know..

There you go. Thats what I meant add that board all the way back. I see now why A wouldnt work. Because there is no sub on the other side :confused:.............. I guess.

abcdefg
07-11-2003, 01:39 AM
There you go. Thats what I meant add that board all the way back. I see now why A wouldnt work. Because there is no sub on the other side :confused:.............. I guess.

y dont u just make a port that starts on the very end and then just wrap it around the back wall

mgaidica
07-11-2003, 01:59 AM
y dont u just make a port that starts on the very end and then just wrap it around the back wall

if im thinking right.. that would mess up the design.. I could wrap around the back wall , but that area will still be sealed off..

dbhittin
07-11-2003, 02:19 AM
here are some ideas without loosing airspace

mgaidica
07-11-2003, 02:50 AM
here are some ideas without loosing airspace

CANT SEE **** CAPTAIN!

anyone else see anything..

BDIDDY
07-11-2003, 01:47 PM

Wesly look at the pics. He has a K for kicker on the box. The l part of the K will be the port.

ramos
07-11-2003, 02:29 PM
How about this. You wouldn't loose any space but port displacement. :)

Give me a second and I will have a picture.

ramos
07-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Here's what I mean. Just make sure the port is the same width all the way to the outside wall. And you won't loose any airspace at all. Actually you might gain a little from not having to use so much wood for the port. :)

P.s. the bottom of the picture is the baffle. The port starts on the inside of the K instead of outside. :)

mgaidica
07-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Here's what I mean. Just make sure the port is the same width all the way to the outside wall. And you won't loose any airspace at all. Actually you might gain a little from not having to use so much wood for the port. :)

P.s. the bottom of the picture is the baffle. The port starts on the inside of the K instead of outside. :)

man, very good thinking.. although i guess i kinda didnt think about this when i posted this message.. the port opening is 3", and from where it opens to the left wall is 3", so -3/4, u get 2.25", so it wouldnt work.. that was a very good way though.. im only mising out on like .3 cu ft..

ramos
07-11-2003, 03:25 PM
D@mn that *****. Oh well....It's not that much airspace lost. :)

burtonsnow83
07-12-2003, 12:33 AM
what tools do you use, your cuts are so precise

mgaidica
07-12-2003, 01:27 AM
what tools do you use, your cuts are so precise

all cuts besides the tops and bottoms of those baffles was jigsawed(K, L7, sub holes). I have a table saw, use the hand circular saw a lot.. use jig saw a lot..