PDA

View Full Version : Is there a cheaper way to do this?

Flipx99
10-21-2008, 12:52 PM
I want something like this, or I think like this:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/551999604/escient-fireball-mx311

I am wanting a media center thing where I can burn movies too and then play them later. I lose/damage movies.

Is there a way to do this cheaper? or do I have to buy an actual computer?

loudsystem
10-21-2008, 04:12 PM
just run windows media center on a computer.. that is the cheapiest and easiest way or use an Xbox 360 and use the XBMC interface which can stream movies and music etc

BASS_WARRIOR
10-21-2008, 04:15 PM
You could build a computer to do all that for a hell of a lot less money.

Anniku989
10-21-2008, 04:15 PM
You can build a computer to do that for cheap

Flipx99
10-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Building a computer would require mouse and keyboard in the living room?

Flipx99
10-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Could my PS3, which already has hard drive and outputs and can have larger HD in it, be used for this purpose?

IDSkoT
10-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Building a computer would require mouse and keyboard in the living room?

THIS IS WHERE I GET GIDDY!!

You can build a computer then download an O/S called MythBuntu. It's basically a free version of Windows Media player except it's Linux-based... but severely user friendly.

The only thing you'd need to do is get a controller / Infared receiver for your PC.
My phone (iPhone) has an app that lets me control MythBuntu from it. So if you have an iPhone, you can do that.

MythBuntu boots up right into the 'Myth' part, which is Windows Media Center on crack. Much better put together IMO.

Just get together a POS computer and you should be fine.
Or I'll sell you mine for $500 ;)

Anonymous User
10-22-2008, 11:49 PM
or get a modded original xbox.

Blazin_Jason
10-23-2008, 12:02 AM

Yup my buddy did that. All sorts of music, videos and whatever else. I don't think he even plays games on it anymore, hah.

tapout
10-23-2008, 12:13 AM
I have an old laptop with a broken screen hooked up to my 32 inch Vizio. Sound routed through my Phillips reciever. Movies and TV stored on an external drive.

And the best part......Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I post here from my couch comfortably while viewing it on teh big screen.

Flipx99
10-23-2008, 10:37 AM

Yup my buddy did that. All sorts of music, videos and whatever else. I don't think he even plays games on it anymore, hah.

Can a modded x-box actually download the movies?

Flipx99
10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I have an old laptop with a broken screen hooked up to my 32 inch Vizio. Sound routed through my Phillips reciever. Movies and TV stored on an external drive.

And the best part......Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I post here from my couch comfortably while viewing it on teh big screen.

that may work....do they have laptops with HDMI and optical audio out?

Rashaddd
10-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Can a modded x-box actually download the movies?

you mean rip from cd's/dvd's? yes

this is probably the best way to go imo for overall useability/cost, especially if you have a friend that knows how to do it and all the ins and outs of it

BASS_WARRIOR
10-23-2008, 10:47 AM
that may work....do they have laptops with HDMI and optical audio out?

Yes they do, but they're not cheap. It would be cheaper to just piece a media center computer together. They make some pretty slick cases now: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g1/c10/list/p1/Cases-Cases_-_Media_Center_HTPC.html

Flipx99
10-23-2008, 10:52 AM
you mean rip from cd's/dvd's? yes

this is probably the best way to go imo for overall useability/cost, especially if you have a friend that knows how to do it and all the ins and outs of it

So putting a DVD into a slot and "moving" the information to a hard drive is called ripping, not downloading.

This actually may be a better deal because I don't know much at all about computer machines.

Rashaddd
10-23-2008, 10:59 AM
So putting a DVD into a slot and "moving" the information to a hard drive is called ripping, not downloading.

This actually may be a better deal because I don't know much at all about computer machines.

If it is video/audio then yes, if not, it would be called uploading technically, as I'm pretty sure 'downloading' implies that the source is much more extensive or bigger than the reciever, such as when you download/upload to the internet. The 'down' part is when its coming from the huge source, the 'up' part is when its coming from the smaller source (your computer)

Flipx99
10-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Cool....works for me.

So is this Xbox 1 or Xbox 360....and can you make the hard drive larger? If so, how large?

IamDeMan
10-23-2008, 11:43 AM
You could build a computer to do all that for a hell of a lot less money.this

You can build a computer to do that for cheapthis again

Building a computer would require mouse and keyboard in the living room?Mostly you will use a WMC remote, just like you would TV. You can store the mouse and KB away after setting it up and bring them out when you want to use it as a PC.

THIS IS WHERE I GET GIDDY!!

You can build a computer then download an O/S called MythBuntu. It's basically a free version of Windows Media player except it's Linux-based... but severely user friendly.

The only thing you'd need to do is get a controller / Infared receiver for your PC.
My phone (iPhone) has an app that lets me control MythBuntu from it. So if you have an iPhone, you can do that.

MythBuntu boots up right into the 'Myth' part, which is Windows Media Center on crack. Much better put together IMO.

Just get together a POS computer and you should be fine.
Or I'll sell you mine for $500 ;)
This will work too.

Flipx99
10-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Iam, check CT. I has an idea.

IamDeMan
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Iam, check CT. I has an idea.

YEs I did and your idea sux ballz and won't work.