PDA

View Full Version : fiber faced sub box

kobra15
07-09-2003, 10:35 PM
i want to build a custom sub box out of wood (MDF) and do the face of the box with fiberglass. My question is this....do I build the box, cover it in fleece, then just put repeated layers of resin on it until it's really thick, or do i add fiber mat? If I add mat can i put it over the fleece, is that how that works? I really want to try this, and I want to make sure i get it as close to being correct the first time, so i don't have to do it over and over?! Thank you for any advice, tips, tricks that you can give me, it is greatly appreciated!!

ramos
07-10-2003, 06:33 AM
Yep build the mdf portion of the box first except for the back panel. You will need a couple of mdf rings to mount the subs. You simply position your mounting rings where you want them. I usually use a couple of screws to hold them in place. Then stretch the fleece over that portion of the enclosure. No need to cover the rest. Then resin the fleece. Now you need to build up on the inside ( the reason you leave the back off the enclsoure) of the fleece. You need to use mat and or cloth to buildup. Resin by itself is pretty week. How thick depends on the size of the panel and how much power. The more power and or larger the panel the thicker it's going to have to be. :)

kobra15
07-12-2003, 01:13 AM
Yep build the mdf portion of the box first except for the back panel. You will need a couple of mdf rings to mount the subs. You simply position your mounting rings where you want them. I usually use a couple of screws to hold them in place. Then stretch the fleece over that portion of the enclosure. No need to cover the rest. Then resin the fleece. Now you need to build up on the inside ( the reason you leave the back off the enclsoure) of the fleece. You need to use mat and or cloth to buildup. Resin by itself is pretty week. How thick depends on the size of the panel and how much power. The more power and or larger the panel the thicker it's going to have to be. :)

Thanks, i appreciate it. I was a bit concerned about sealing the box, but i neglected to remember that once you glass it, you can seal the back panel through the sub openings......time to get to work!!

ramos
07-13-2003, 10:38 AM
No problem man. And good luck. Let us know how it comes out. :)