PDA

View Full Version : Kick Panels... :sigh:

ss3079
07-09-2003, 09:19 PM
http://www.soundillusions.net/sites/ss3079/Misc/KickPanels/

That's what I have to work with...please excuse the picture quality in some of the pictures, I was in a hurry and don't have steady hands.

Would like to keep the kicks to the outside, closest to the door, as possible...but there is VERY little room as you can tell....very little room for them to work.

Any brilliant suggestions? Remember, I really dont want these things to look out of place (and we're doing nothing to my doors;) )

- Steve

mattj
07-09-2003, 09:27 PM
looks like you can create a pillar-type kick panel with the speaker firing either horizontally or you can even do a little bit of work and fire them towards the face of the driver.

ss3079
07-09-2003, 09:28 PM
How would you go about that on the drivers side, without relocating the e-brake?

I think they are a no go.

- Steve:(

mattj
07-09-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by ss3079
How would you go about that on the drivers side, without relocating the e-brake?

I think they are a no go.

- Steve:(
hmm dunno what to tell you without haveing anything really bulky or out of place...
:o

ss3079
07-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by mattj
hmm dunno what to tell you without haveing anything really bulky or out of place...
:o

Yeah, I know...

Guess I'll just have to live with the 4x6's in the dash:furious:

- Steve

mattj
07-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I know...

Guess I'll just have to live with the 4x6's in the dash:furious:

- Steve

what a kick in the nuts! OWNED!

http://home.san.rr.com/abulmash/owned2.jpg

spyd3r
07-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Did you look under the carpet to see whats forming your dead pedal area.
Usually its just some sheet metal, with a little patience you could prpobably cut them out...and get rewarded with a wider soundstage, by having the kicks even further away from you.

I suspect that you got alot of room under the deadpedal.

Maybe you could snap a couple of pics with the carpet removed......:D

ss3079
07-09-2003, 09:43 PM
When my wife gets home, sure...no prob...I'll pull it up and have a look.

Though I really dont want to be doing any sort of cutting...:(

- Steve

bumpin_blazer
07-09-2003, 09:52 PM
When my wife gets home, sure...no prob...I'll pull it up and have a look.

Though I really dont want to be doing any sort of cutting...:(

- Steve

dang man just wait! i know you have room under that e-brake if it's the same model as my jimmy is. like i said i've got q-logic kicks that are gonna be resined and sealed very soon

adam

BDIDDY
07-09-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by bumpin_blazer
dang man just wait! i know you have room under that e-brake if it's the same model as my jimmy is. like i said i've got q-logic kicks that are gonna be resined and sealed very soon

adam

Yeah just get some q-logic kicks.

ss3079
07-09-2003, 11:28 PM
Pre-fab kick panels? In my vehicle? Hell no..."custom everything guy" here.

No fiberglass door panels...:( No modifications to the door allowed.

- Steve

spyd3r
07-09-2003, 11:29 PM
As long as we're cutting metal and fiberglassing new doorpanels ;) , might as well go buy your self a pair of 8" woofers and a matchin 3 way component set. :p

ramos
07-10-2003, 06:42 AM
What kind of automobile is it there steve ? I think I see enough room. :)

ss3079
07-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ramos
What kind of automobile is it there steve ? I think I see enough room. :)

91' S-10 Blazer 4dr 4x4...:)

I'm gonna go outside after, tape off a little area...throw a 6.5" speaker there and see if anything is possible...:)

- Steve

ramos
07-10-2003, 12:10 PM
I have done 5 1/4's and tweets in the same vehicle. The only hard part was getting the aiming right. It took a little playing around. But I finally got it right. :)

ss3079
07-10-2003, 12:16 PM
I was hoping to go with 6.5's...

How exactly did you go about it? Did you build the kick's off of the flat plastic piece there? I dont get how that works either...especially with the e-brake and such.

- Steve

ss3079
07-10-2003, 03:26 PM
I was hoping to go with 6.5's...

How exactly did you go about it? Did you build the kick's off of the flat plastic piece there? I dont get how that works either...especially with the e-brake and such.

- Steve

Today's pictures...

http://www.soundillusions.net/sites/ss3079/Misc/KickPanels/Planning2/

Little room. Thats a 6.5".

- Steve

ramos
07-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Today's pictures...

http://www.soundillusions.net/sites/ss3079/Misc/KickPanels/Planning2/

Little room. Thats a 6.5".

- Steve

Let's see here. In the first install I did. I believe I moved the e-brake lever. I then realized what a pain that was. So on the next go around. I decided to make the kicks tear drop shaped. Thin at the top and fat at the bottom. It worked but made the e brake hard to depress. That's when we decided to go to the 5 1/4's. They worked perfectly and left room for the e brake pedal. :)

ss3079
07-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Let's see here. In the first install I did. I believe I moved the e-brake lever. I then realized what a pain that was. So on the next go around. I decided to make the kicks tear drop shaped. Thin at the top and fat at the bottom. It worked but made the e brake hard to depress. That's when we decided to go to the 5 1/4's. They worked perfectly and left room for the e brake pedal. :)

Hmmm....I may have to go with 5.25's then :(

If you look at pic #460...I could build the kicks just tall enough for the mid, then put the tweeter in the top right hand corner there (where the duct tape meets and form's a corner).

It's either that...or go for some really crappy imaging and build off the flat piece there and just fire the mid toward my foot, and build the tweet out so it fires towards my head...same thing on the passengers side...if you see what I'm saying.

- Steve

ramos
07-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Hmmm....I may have to go with 5.25's then :(

If you look at pic #460...I could build the kicks just tall enough for the mid, then put the tweeter in the top right hand corner there (where the duct tape meets and form's a corner).

It's either that...or go for some really crappy imaging and build off the flat piece there and just fire the mid toward my foot, and build the tweet out so it fires towards my head...same thing on the passengers side...if you see what I'm saying.

- Steve

Why not just make a couple of brackets and mount the tweeters over top of the mids. It works quite well. And you wouldn't have to sacrifice your imaging. Get what I'm saying ? :)

ss3079
07-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Why not just make a couple of brackets and mount the tweeters over top of the mids. It works quite well. And you wouldn't have to sacrifice your imaging. Get what I'm saying ? :)

Yeah...I get it...

I really don't mind imaging...it'll still sound decent...

Just something better than 4x6's....4x6's I TELL YA!!!

- Steve

spyd3r
07-10-2003, 11:36 PM
After seeing the pics with a midbas driver in their, I don't think that would be a problem. I thought the dept would be an issue...but lookin at those pics, it looks ok.

Just make some tear dropped baffles and point them up. ( Just like you said Ramos ;) ) I don't have any experience with your car so I'm not sure if the 6.5" would fit under your e-brake.

Where did you relocate the e-brake on your install...Ramos?
Is it really such a pain that you would compromise for 5.5" ?

ss3079
07-10-2003, 11:45 PM
Ohhhh I can't imagine how much of a pain in the *** that would be...I bet installing a C-notch and having to box rear frame rails would be easier:D

Ah well, we'll see...

- Steve

ramos
07-11-2003, 06:25 AM
After seeing the pics with a midbas driver in their, I don't think that would be a problem. I thought the dept would be an issue...but lookin at those pics, it looks ok.

Just make some tear dropped baffles and point them up. ( Just like you said Ramos ;) ) I don't have any experience with your car so I'm not sure if the 6.5" would fit under your e-brake.

Where did you relocate the e-brake on your install...Ramos?
Is it really such a pain that you would compromise for 5.5" ?

Man you don't even won't to know :D I ended up moving it right under the edge of the drivers seat. Had to turn it into a pull up handle instead of a pedal. :)

nln327
07-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Steve....i have the same problem on my Intrepid with the brake. I may have found a solution :D .....i will know early next week if i can make it happen...gotta call a few peeps.....i'll pass the info if everything works out....

bumpin_blazer
07-11-2003, 11:22 AM
man steve why you gotta be hatin:(. like i said earlier though i'll get pics and i'm gonna end up getting 6.5" midbass alongside sealing off the kicks. by the time i'm done i'm hoping they won't look pre-fab hehe:D.

adam

ss3079
07-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Yeah Adam, hopefully pics will give me a little bit more hope lol.

Ah-ha...

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/item.pl?sku=QLCQLK1003B01&vq_id=none

:)

- Steve

ramos
07-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Yeah Adam, hopefully pics will give me a little bit more hope lol.

Ah-ha...

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/item.pl?sku=QLCQLK1003B01&vq_id=none

:)

- Steve

The q-forms aren't all that bad actually with a little work. Take some bondo hair and stiffen them up on the inside. Then dye the outside with vinyl dye to match your interior. Or you can cover them in matching carpet. :)

ss3079
07-11-2003, 01:34 PM
The q-forms aren't all that bad actually with a little work. Take some bondo hair and stiffen them up on the inside. Then dye the outside with vinyl dye to match your interior. Or you can cover them in matching carpet. :)

$130 isn't too bad, either...would save me a lot of hassle and swearing :)

- Steve

ramos
07-11-2003, 02:22 PM

- Steve

A can of dye and a can of bondo glass will probably run about $20. Of course up there in the great white north I don't really know :D :)

ss3079
07-11-2003, 02:26 PM
A can of dye and a can of bondo glass will probably run about $20. Of course up there in the great white north I don't really know :D :)

Had to throw a crack about Canada in there, eh? ;)

Bondo is cheap..is that stuff called "UltraGlass"?

- Steve

ramos
07-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Had to throw a crack about Canada in there, eh? ;)

Bondo is cheap..is that stuff called "UltraGlass"?

- Steve

I couldn't help myself :D I believe that's the same thing. There are a bunch of different brands. I personally use marglass. As long as it has the chopped glass strands in it. It will work fine. I just wouldn't use plain body filler. It will crack by iteslf. Don't want your kicks to have a rattle inside the first time you accidentaly hit them with your foot. :D :)

bumpin_blazer
07-11-2003, 04:52 PM

- Steve

see even ramos says they aren't too bad lol. yeah imma seal the backs of mine up with some glass work as soon as i have the time to do it. 130 isn't bad but when i worked at best buy i got em for 90 after shipping.

adam