PDA

View Full Version : question about fixing pioneer rca noise issue

orangecounty1
10-19-2008, 10:37 AM
ok heres the deal

ive had my pioneer 880 pretty much since when they first came out, and never had a problem with it. used it in the truck and recently in the MINI after i sold my nakamichi HU.

by far its my favorite HU yet.

ive switched amps numerous times in the mini, most recently taking out my last RF Punch150 that i sold, so i put in the mtx 2ch i still had for sale, just using it til i sold it, so i can have music. well it worked fine like the RF did, then i decided to cover the back of the wall, so i took the amp out like normal, so i didnt get glue on it or anything. i then left the amp out for a few days becuase i was lazy after i covered the wall.

well i got tired of no music again so i hooked it back up. when i hooked it up and turned it on, i noticed a loud *** noise out of both speakers hooked to the amp. never heard it before, even with the car off the noise is still there. i have tweets hook to the HU itself, and no noise from them, just the mids hooked to the amp...

this is with the MTX amp btw.

so im like wtf, so i go grab one of the Punch45's i have left, to see if it was the MTX amp making the noise.

i hook up the punch 45, same thing, noise.

so im like ok, its not the amp becusae it does it on 2 different amps.

then i hook the mtx back up, still noise.

so i try to ground the rca's on the HU.

still noise.

so i go upstairs to grab another speaker to test to see if maybe the speakers wiring got messed up or something, just so i can try another speaker.

well before i hook it up, i said let me try one more time, i turn on the HU, and bam, mtx amp smokes. i dont know what could have caused it. first amp ive ever blown or broken..

but i doubt it was anything i did, becuase i did everything right.

so i didnt even get to hook up the other speaker, so i still dont know whats making the noise, but im leaning at the HU rca's becuase the speaker wire and rca's have been ran for over a year through the car, zip tied snug to factory wiring, no where they can be pinched or cut, so i doubt anything is wrong with the wiring.

yet grounding the rca's didnt work, and caused my amp to break.

i havent hooked the HU back up yet, and im afraid to hook up my last Punch45 that i have sold to my friend in a few days, becuase if it smokes that too, then thats a second amp i lost that i now cant sell (i had the mtx sold that week, now i cant becuase it blew)

revrider1
10-19-2008, 10:42 AM
I was gonna say ground the RCAs to stereo chassis, but i guess that dont work? Hmmm

orangecounty1
10-19-2008, 10:46 AM
well i was trouble shooting, so i didnt ground to the chassis, but i grounded to my factory ground wire for the head unit. i dont think that would make a differece, a ground is a ground, right?

or could that have been it?

this is what i did-

i wrapped some wire around the R rca, and another wire around the L rca. not the rca jacks coming from the HU itself, but my knu conceptz rca's, but that shouldnt make a differnce, when they're plugged in, they're all touching anyways.

then i took the wire from the R and the wire from the L, connected those 2, and my HU ground wire, and crimped them together. everything was the same (still had noise over the music that was playing)

the amp didnt smoke though. it was when i turned the HU on the second time, THEN it smoked, instantly.

redfred18t
10-19-2008, 01:30 PM
you should have grounded it to the chassis of the radio.*

*from what I've learned about this issue. I've never done it myself.

orangecounty1
10-19-2008, 01:32 PM
i dont see how grounding it to a normal ground could have made it burn an amp though. IMO a ground is an F'n ground, lol

2000LaDe
10-19-2008, 01:37 PM
omg search function people.

Run a ground to either the rca's behind the headunit or the chasis of the headunit itself. both work. i ground all my pioneers at the RCA's and it works just fine. u only have to ground 1 rca total.

orangecounty1
10-19-2008, 01:45 PM
i know how to ground them, im just trying to figure out why its not fixing the issue and caused an amp to blow.

path2spl
10-19-2008, 01:56 PM
i have the same prob with 3 of my radios at first i tried to ground to the ground wire comming from my radio. didnt work so i tried to the radio and it did. but not with my p800. it will be fine and then as soon as i play my subs it will come back. then when i turn off my car and turn it back on its gone i dont get it.

orangecounty1
10-19-2008, 01:59 PM

so rca's to wire ground didnt work

but RCA's grounded to the back bolt on the HU did work?

path2spl
10-19-2008, 02:12 PM
yea

orangecounty1
10-19-2008, 09:57 PM
grounding the RCA's to the HU worked.