PDA

View Full Version : Bandpass....Whats the deal???

Miller
07-09-2003, 08:48 PM
I hear alot of talk on this forum about how HORRIBLE bandpass boxes are and that they are only for look. I have never tried one in my car, but I have three friends that are currently using bandpass boxes and every single one of their systems HIT. I have a friend with 2 12" Type-R's in a Q-Logic bandpass running on a Kicker 1200.1 and I can hear him from a long ways away. I also have a friend that is running 2 JL W3's in one of the Bandpass boxes that JL makes and it sound AWESOME. His W3's hit hard as hell in that box. So now I am wondering, anyone out there use bandpass boxes and happy with them?? I have heard alot of complaints, but does anyone like their bandpass box or the sound of others? Thanks

If you wanna see the bandpass on the JL's check it out: http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=245546&page=1

paikiah
07-09-2003, 08:52 PM
So far, I only know ONE person on the forum who has heard a VERY good bandpass.

Bandpass WILL get loud, but only at certain frequencies, that's the reason why people say it doesn't sound too good at all. At some notes, the box will go boom, on a higher or lower frequency, barely audible.

Oh, and bandpass boxes must be made with precision. Very little room for errors.

Trixter
07-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Like Paikiah said, they are very limited on what freq's. they reproduce; only and range of like 20-30Hz or so (meaning that it might peak at 30Hz and slop off at 50Hz). To get the full range of low end, band pass is not recommended. I guess if you just wanted to be loud you could tune a bandpass to your cars res. freq. But i wouldn't go with it for daily driving.

Biohazard
07-15-2003, 03:39 AM
Like Paikiah said, they are very limited on what freq's. they reproduce; only and range of like 20-30Hz or so (meaning that it might peak at 30Hz and slop off at 50Hz). To get the full range of low end, band pass is not recommended. I guess if you just wanted to be loud you could tune a bandpass to your cars res. freq. But i wouldn't go with it for daily driving.

how can u find the cars resonant frequency? just by getting measured?

paikiah
07-15-2003, 03:42 AM
quickest way might be in a shop...

namster44
07-15-2003, 06:49 PM
I think we forgot to mention that in a bandpass box, you can be damaging your driver and not know about it till its too late! Plus what the fellas before me said.

paikiah
07-15-2003, 11:00 PM
actually, that still has acceptable response from about 30Hz to 85Hz, I guess...

ramos
07-17-2003, 09:10 AM
I would have to say bandpass is a very efficient enclosure around the tuning frequency. And I do mean right around the tuning frequency with a steep rolloff usually an octave or two up or down. But they are very picky, and not too easy to get correct. The reason most don't like them is that to have a bandpass enclosure built properly ( not a prefab) to your subs. It's usually pretty expensive. So everybody runs out and gets the qlogic or rt logic crappers. Throw a couple of subs in and boom, boom, boom. I never thought I would here myself say this BUT ....... loud ain't everything. :D that is unless your competing. But then the prefab bandpass will get blown out of the water anyway :)