PDA

View Full Version : Going from 2 way to 3 way? worth it?

silenkiller
10-18-2008, 08:19 PM
So, do you think I will hear a noticeable difference going from a two way setup of 6.5 inch CDT m6's and tweets to a 3 way setup (using the m6's as the midwoof, buying a 3 way crossover and getting a midrange) ?

Basically, is it worth it?

Anyone have experience with 3way passive setups?

bonesninja
10-18-2008, 08:20 PM
should be better...active would be much better tho

helotaxi
10-18-2008, 09:09 PM
IIRC, the M6 doesn't have really good midrange. It's inductance is a bit high for a midrange and it starts to roll off before the tweet kick in. The M6+ is supposed to be better as a mid/woofer thanks to the shorting rings in the motor.

The setup will only be as good as the crossover, but filling in the midrange and moving the crossover freq between the mid and tweet as high as possible and letting the mid play as low as possible cna make a big difference.

FoxPro5
10-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't agree. By simply taking the midrange freqencies from a midrange/midbass driver and moving them to a midrange itself, you now have the ability to aim those freqencies, adjust path lenghts, time allignment, out put levels, etc. It's much more than the simplictiy of the crossover.

Will you hear a difference? If you don't there is something wrong. Is it worth it? Depends on how much time and energy you're willing to put into the install and tuning.

There's some that subscribe to the idea that an up-front 2-way is "simple," therefore better. IMHO those people couldn't get the 3-way right so they're just trying to justify their decision. Yes, less point sources is easier to manage and less to process, but it's not better.

Lil Poot
10-18-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't agree. By simply taking the midrange freqencies from a midrange/midbass driver and moving them to a midrange itself, you now have the ability to aim those freqencies, adjust path lenghts, time allignment, out put levels, etc. It's much more than the simplictiy of the crossover.

Will you hear a difference? If you don't there is something wrong. Is it worth it? Depends on how much time and energy you're willing to put into the install and tuning.

There's some that subscribe to the idea that an up-front 2-way is "simple," therefore better. IMHO those people couldn't get the 3-way right so they're just trying to justify their decision. Yes, less point sources is easier to manage and less to process, but it's not better.

better to learn active on, though.

silenkiller
10-19-2008, 01:15 AM
better to learn active on, though.

Eh my HU doesn't have super specific controls to go active.

James Bang
10-19-2008, 03:35 AM
different strokes for different folks and some folks are ready for certain strokes.

PaulD
10-19-2008, 12:02 PM

He said he wanted to do it passively, so all of that will not be effected.

helotaxi
10-19-2008, 12:10 PM
He said he wanted to do it passively, so all of that will not be effected.

Which is why the crossover is going to be hugely important.

silenkiller
10-19-2008, 12:19 PM
yeah, going to have to get a very good cross

FoxPro5
10-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I guess I was reading the part about buying a 3 way crossover and adding a midgrange. As in, an active crossover.

And, again, he says "get a very good cross."

CDT sells a passive for this, then I'm assuming? Do they sell a MR + passive add on kit or something if you already have one of their component sets? If this is the case, you need to buy their passive crossover not just any passive crossover.

:confizzled:

James Bang
10-19-2008, 02:13 PM
not a fan of 3 way passives at all... unless the passive crossover will allow a separate input for all speakers.

tcguy85
10-19-2008, 11:13 PM
i know a 3-way would help in my car. having a dedicated mid-range would help me a lot. that would be quite an investment for me though cause i'd still want to run active. so i'd need 2 more channels of amplification and a new HU that can do a 3-way fr + a sub like the DRZ.

James Bang
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
i know a 3-way would help in my car. having a dedicated mid-range would help me a lot. that would be quite an investment for me though cause i'd still want to run active. so i'd need 2 more channels of amplification and a new HU that can do a 3-way fr + a sub like the DRZ.

if your highs and midrange are very close to each other (for TA reasons), you can run them passive off the HIGH preout and midbass off the MID preout. That way you can still have a 3way frontstage w/ only 3 preouts and still yield some great results.

helotaxi
10-20-2008, 07:56 PM
CDT sells a passive for this, then I'm assuming? Do they sell a MR + passive add on kit or something if you already have one of their component sets? If this is the case, you need to buy their passive crossover not just any passive crossover.

Yes, they do, or at least did, I haven't looked in a while. And I completely agree that their crossover is the way to go.

bass_lover1
10-20-2008, 10:09 PM
if your highs and midrange are very close to each other (for TA reasons), you can run them passive off the HIGH preout and midbass off the MID preout. That way you can still have a 3way frontstage w/ only 3 preouts and still yield some great results.

This is pretty much what I did.

Since the x-over on the tweeter out can HP as low as 20hz, I have the RCA cable run to a JL 300/4 which can internally split the signal for the rear channels. I'm using the built in x-over on the 300/4 to LP my L3s and then HP my Neo3s.

I've yet to install my Neo3s at this point (been really lazy lately) so I can't comment on the T/A between the mid and tweet, since the T/A for the tweet affects both drivers, but in my experiences T/A in the upper frequencies isn't very effective, I've had better results with aiming, driver placement and level balancing.