PDA

View Full Version : Help with Component System (and current setup)

bl0ckd
10-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Basically, I'm wanting to get a component set for my car, in addition to my new subwoofers. Sorry, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to speakers. I just know about amps, headunits, and amplifiers. When I bought the car, I just bought speakers to replace the factory ones, not knowing I would be getting into car audio :D So please don't flame if I ask a completely stupid question!! Thanks! :)

My Current Setup

5-1/4" Alpine Type-S speakers in the front doors (45 - 30,000 Hz)
6x9" Alpine Type-S speakers in the rear deck (30 - 30,000 Hz)
^^ Both sets running off headunit ^^

My New Setup

5-1/4" Alpine Type-R components in the front (70 - 27,000 Hz)
6x9" Alpine Type-R speakers in the rear deck (60 - 27,000 Hz)
^^ Running off Alpine 4 channel amp? ^^
(2) 12" Alpine Type-R subwoofers in the trunk (25 - 500 Hz)
^^ Audiopipe AP15001d ^^

Questions

1. Should I drop the 6x9's, or leave them for more of a surround-sound experience? I've seen a couple people recommend losing the 6x9's, but wouldn't that mean the only sound playing would be coming from the front of the car?

2. What LPF and/or HPF do I need to apply to the comps/6x9's/woofers?

bl0ckd
10-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Amp for speakers will be a Alpine MRP-F300, which does 50w x 4. The Type-R speakers can do 100w.

shaneb
10-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Well the idea with losing the rear's is completely up to what you want.
In most SQ setups, people get rid of the rear speakers.
I personally do not have rear speakers anymore.
Yes it means that the only sound you get would come from the front. The reason they do this for SQ setups is to better achieve a staging and imaging effect.
The questions you need to answer for yourself are thus,
What is your goal, are you just wanting to be loud with some clean sound.
Do you want to get into SQ based Car audio, creating a staging and imaging effect in your car.

From reading on here, it seems everyone uses typer-ARRRGGGGG stuff for SPL designs.

bl0ckd
10-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Well the idea with losing the rear's is completely up to what you want.
In most SQ setups, people get rid of the rear speakers.
I personally do not have rear speakers anymore.
Yes it means that the only sound you get would come from the front. The reason they do this for SQ setups is to better achieve a staging and imaging effect.
The questions you need to answer for yourself are thus,
What is your goal, are you just wanting to be loud with some clean sound.
Do you want to get into SQ based Car audio, creating a staging and imaging effect in your car.

From reading on here, it seems everyone uses typer-ARRRGGGGG stuff for SPL designs.

I want a loud system, but with some SQL; if that's possible :D

Kicker, for instance, is purely SPL. No SQL whatsoever. I figured with the Alpines, I could get SPL along with a little bit of SQL.

shaneb
10-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Of course, alpine sounds good.
Basically you always start with a budget.
typically SQL includes achieving that staging and imaging effect.
If I were you, and I wanted a rear fill, I would keep whatever I already have back there and put the money towards getting really good components in the front. And possibly running the rear speakers off HU power, and bridging that 4 channel into 2 channels and giving your components the juice they want. I was doing that for a while.

P.S. check your PM

bl0ckd
10-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks partna!

lyttleviet
10-16-2008, 12:35 AM
exactly what shaneb Said. Get a nice component set and bridge the 4 channel to it. Use your rearfill only when you have passengers..

What is your budget?

bl0ckd
10-16-2008, 12:51 AM
exactly what shaneb Said. Get a nice component set and bridge the 4 channel to it. Use your rearfill only when you have passengers..

What is your budget?

Well, I'm trying to keep the front/rear stage under $300.

Horsemanwill
10-16-2008, 11:48 PM
ya wat he said. the main thing to remember if your just running a front stage is make sure it can keep up with the bass for the rear ppl. as for the xover settings depending on how flexible it is you'd want to run hpf on with the xover maybe set about 120 80 at the lowest. if it's not that adjustable just run it full range and you'll be ok just make sure you don't decide to crank the bass adjustment on your deck.

shaneb
10-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Okay, i wasn't able to get aim downloaded, basically cause i hate it...
keep your rear stage the way it is. don't buy anything to put in it.
but, either get something from these two links...they are both very highly regarded in the SQ world. and I am sure you will not be disappointed. The idea is that you will have extra money for the front stage, which is most important, by not upgrading the rear.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=10&mfg_account_ID=36&sort=account_name&=Update+Selection
The Image Dynamics CTX speakers are only 179$ I am planning on getting these next month.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=10&mfg_account_ID=106&sort=account_name&=Update+Selection
I know at first you see the 1,200$ dollar ones, scroll down, morel has some entry level stuff that is reasonably priced.

If you want alpine, go ahead and get a alpine amp, they are good amps. I doubt you will be disappointed. But, I would suggest either getting a 4 channel that is bridgeable 100rms@4ohms x 2, or 150rms@4ohms x 2. that way if you ever changed your mind on how to power the rear speakers. you could just use those 2 extra channels for them.
But personally, I would power the rear speakers off of HU power, and get a 2 channel amp!

Edit: Horseman will is a God with SQ, do what he says...

Horseman will approves this message.

bl0ckd
10-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Cool, thanks for all the help guys!

lyttleviet
10-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah, if your budget is under 300... Morel Tempo 6 is an easy call.