PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone knock Infinity 6.5 Kappa Perfects?

silenkiller
10-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Just curious why the general consensus is that they arnt very good. How many of you have actually owned them? I just sold my old pair yesterday and in the process noticed how many threads say to stay away from them.

Personally I thought they were just as good as my current CDT m6 setup. Plus they are built very heavy duty.

Johnny Law.Lulz
10-15-2008, 09:06 AM
I love infinity - i believe they are some of the best co-ax and components that are affordable.

Thedeadly1
10-15-2008, 11:03 AM
i had regular kappas and i liked them.. just 5 1/4 kappas not even the components and i thought they were fine for what they were.

groundpound4200
10-15-2008, 11:07 AM
I think a lot of people were saying the tweeter is harsh.... its been awhile since I've heard any so I cant really remember

JL Audio
10-15-2008, 11:10 AM
the perfects i'd own, below that I wouldn't touch from hearing them in another person's ride. They sounded.. well as already stated. they sounded harsh and didn't go with the music to me.

helotaxi
10-15-2008, 11:39 AM
In a low powered system they sound nice. The reason that most people bash them is that they try to drive them too hard. They don't respond well to a lot of power. The tweeter breaks up badly and gets harsh sounding.

Hoodlum007
10-15-2008, 02:36 PM
I hated the tweeters when i ran my Kappa's.

RogerKline
10-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Harsh tweeter and a complete lack of midbass compared to other choices. I had the 6.1 and 5.1.

khanhfat
10-17-2008, 01:59 AM
it's just for a temporary replacement speakers. If you just listen to the radio or the news, those kappas are made for it.

If u want loud and clean with decent midbass... no those infinity won't b able to handle it :D.

lyttleviet
10-17-2008, 02:22 AM
I personally owned them years ago and they seriously lack midbass.

GAM3OVR
10-17-2008, 02:32 AM
I love infinity - i believe they are some of the best co-ax and components that are affordable.

I have always liked infinity

the perfects i'd own, below that I wouldn't touch from hearing them in another person's ride. They sounded.. well as already stated. they sounded harsh and didn't go with the music to me.

I had the 6.1's and the 60.7CS

The kappas tweeter was on some songs untolerable, but a tweeak of the HU fixed that.
The 6.1 Tweeter is much smoother, I only had to drop the 8K range by -2dB

In a low powered system they sound nice. The reason that most people bash them is that they try to drive them too hard. They don't respond well to a lot of power. The tweeter breaks up badly and gets harsh sounding.

I feed my 60.7 CS (rated @ 90 rms) 150 for 8 months of abuse, and the 6.1 were taking 190 RMS (rated @ 100). I thought they handled power suberbly

I hated the tweeters when i ran my Kappa's.

Harsh tweeter and a complete lack of midbass compared to other choices. I had the 6.1 and 5.1.

helotaxi
10-17-2008, 10:49 AM
You must be oblivious to a screaming tweeter then. The Infinity components haven't changed their recipe that much since the early 90's when 50 watts per channel was a lot. They are efficient and don't need a lot of power and really let you know audibly when they're getting more than they want. I've always found them very nice at low to moderate volume but very fatiguing to the point of unlistenable when pushed hard.

timaishu
10-17-2008, 02:41 PM
I own an infinity 6x8 reference comps and 6x8 reference coaxials. those things have ALOT of midbass. do 6x8's have more cone area than 6.5s?

they compliment my 10 inch sub very well.

what exactly is difference between a tweeter thats harsh and one thats not? mine seems a little bright at high volumes. but i figured that its just because im listening to it at high volumes?? they sound great when at moderate levels.

then again, none of my friends have systems in their cars, so i have nothing to compare mine with

helotaxi
10-17-2008, 11:41 PM
what exactly is difference between a tweeter thats harsh and one thats not? mine seems a little bright at high volumes. but i figured that its just because im listening to it at high volumes?? they sound great when at moderate levels.

The character of the tweeter shouldn't change with volume within the usable output range of the driver. The Infinity tweets go from being pretty smooth to really harsh like a switch.