PDA

View Full Version : Simple Carpet Question...

xcrult
07-07-2003, 04:35 PM
I've just finished building a box for 2 12"s and all i have left to do is carpet it. I'm wondering if it'd be better to lay down some gasket material and install the subs before covering the box with carpet, or if i'm safe carpeting it and then just putting the subs in afterwards. Any help would really be appreciated, thanks guys.

mgaidica
07-07-2003, 06:28 PM
carpet before the sub.. just cut so the carpet goes right up to the sub holes.. good luck..

burtonsnow83
07-12-2003, 12:07 AM
carpet before the sub.. just cut so the carpet goes right up to the sub holes.. good luck..

so the flange is over carpet, is that fairly airtight?

ramos
07-12-2003, 12:24 AM
so the flange is over carpet, is that fairly airtight?

I usually take it all the way to the edge of the hole. Then set the sub in the hole and trim right against the flange. Then pull the sub out. And the scrap of carpet. :)

burtonsnow83
07-12-2003, 12:30 AM
I usually take it all the way to the edge of the hole. Then set the sub in the hole and trim right against the flange. Then pull the sub out. And the scrap of carpet. :)

That is what I was going to do, seems it would make more sense that way.

Primetime
07-12-2003, 12:32 AM
carpet the box as if there wasnt a hole in the box but dont put glue within a inch of the hole. After you pull the carpet tight to get a nice snug fit let it dry for a bit (some like to staple or nail it on also) then cut a big X in the carpet where the hole is so you have 4 flaps that can be pushed in.

At this point put the sub in, set it flush and with a sharp knife (exacto blade, razor blade ect) trace around the sub. Remove sub, remove the now loose carpet that was underneath the sub. Now your sub will sit directly on a solid service (the wood)

Dave