PDA

View Full Version : too much remote wire load fry my 9887?

Lil Poot
10-11-2008, 06:55 PM
i did have my kicker 2500 and usa4050 daisy chained for the remote wire connection, straight from the head unit up front. i add in my 2200 today, and before i even turn it on, while i'm hooking up my new distibution box and ground splitter and thing by the rear battery, i start smelling burning electronics, like when you fry an amplifier.

the batteries were connected, but the truck was off.

i never had any ground noise before, when i turned it on, i get a noticable hiss with the key turned to accessory, and a loud, nasty alternator whine when the truck is running. i've tried test rca's that were well away from any power wire, and have tried running each amp by itself, and still get the whine.

when i pulled my head unit out to plug in the test rca's, the burning electronics smell got very strong, but it seems to be working just fine. could this be an issue of my amps having a better ground than my head unit does up front, as i did grind down the grounding point in the rear? i had noticed there was still some paint underneath the ring terminals when i had them up.

do i need to use a relay on my remote wire for running 3 amps?

bonesninja
10-11-2008, 06:59 PM
no

Lil Poot
10-11-2008, 07:01 PM
any guesses on what could smell like it was frying in my head unit and still have it work just fine? i'm confused how i smelled it while i was in the back not messing with the head unit at all with the truck off.

going to go try regrounding the head unit.

Rashaddd
10-11-2008, 07:02 PM
I kept blowing my cars internal fuse for the HU's power when I added my second amp, so I switched it to my air conditioning controls which have a higher current rating fuse and it stopped blowing

and it sounds like it blew an internal fuse on your HU or something by grounding out somewhere and shorting

Fusion_FREAK
10-11-2008, 07:04 PM
I use 0/1 for remote wire. :fyi:

James Bang
10-11-2008, 07:10 PM
That is super cool in a retarded way.

Spectrum
10-11-2008, 07:11 PM

really? i think that anything below 4/0 is dangerous...too much current for smaller wire

Lil Poot
10-11-2008, 07:51 PM
couple more observations. the rca's i'm using for my mids and tweets is a knukoncepts 4 channel rca. when i unplug the rcas that go to my subwoofer amp, the whining gets louder, when i unplug all 4 of the mid/tweet rcas, it goes away completely.

chunky cumz
10-11-2008, 07:53 PM

bahahaha i love it! :laugh::laugh:

Lil Poot
10-11-2008, 07:56 PM
luckily, when i bought the head unit off ebay, i purchased the 36 dollar 3 year squaretrade warranty, so i should be able to just trade it in for a new one if its FUBAR.

Lil Poot
10-11-2008, 09:09 PM
i'm also getting a pretty good turn on thump, and a track changing thump. anyone have anything i can try before pulling the unit and sending it in?

Rashaddd
10-11-2008, 09:13 PM
i'm also getting a pretty good turn on thump, and a track changing thump. anyone have anything i can try before pulling the unit and sending it in?

unless some rca's came loose or something other than the HU has taken a change, I'd definitely say you've blown a fuse inside it, and your rcas aren't grounding properly because of it, go ahead and send it in

redfred18t
10-12-2008, 12:00 AM

I pulled my old kenwood HU out for something (dont remember) and reinstalled it. My sub started doing that same thing, thumping when i changed tracks and if I paused the cd, you could actually hear the cd spinning, it was sooo weird. I brought it to the place that installed the head unit. They fixed it and told me it was a ground issue. Maybe when I pushed the HU back in, it messed up the ground wire or the rca's. I didn't know as much about ca as i do now

Lil Poot
10-12-2008, 10:00 AM
ok now this is probably the weirdest thing i've come across doing car audio.

i have my headunit grounded to the chassis, manually, not through the stock stereo clip's ground. i went to redo that, and when i pulled the ground away from the metal, all 3 of my amps turn on, and my mids are playing a low hiss. mind you, the key is not in the ignition. when i reconnect the ground, i get a thump and they all shut off.

i'm guessing thats a pretty good sign something is seriously wrong in my deck?

regrounding didn't seem to make any change.

redfred18t
10-12-2008, 11:29 AM
you really should pull the negative terminal on your battery for stuff like that. It will only **** your electronics up

Lil Poot
10-12-2008, 01:13 PM
it really doesnt seem to be having any really negative effects, pulling the head unit ground was the first time i've seen the amps come on at random like that. when everything is hooked up, aside from the alternator whine, and the thumps, which are not very loud at all, it seems to be working fine.

i'm planning on leaving the deck in until i get a replacement or have to ship it in.