PDA

View Full Version : Carpeting Basics

Miller
07-07-2003, 01:38 PM
I have my box built and everything, Now I just need to carpet it. I have never carpeted a box before and was wondering the basics of it. Should I cut out each piece to fit each side of the box???? Or should I just wrap the box around and then carpet the left and right part of my box individually?? Is there and tucking carpet under other carpet or anything.......Lastly, what should I use for the adhesive, can I just use any kind of glue or should I use the spray adhesive stuff??? thanks

Trixter
07-07-2003, 02:56 PM
There are many diffrent ways, but here's how I do it...

Wrap the box so yo have material hanging over the ends. Cut off the ends so you only have one flap that covers it. This way you have the least amount of seams. If the box is too long, then do the ends seperately. Trim any extra.

3M milti purpose spray adhesive works the best I have found. (black and red can)

mgaidica
07-07-2003, 06:29 PM
wrap like a present.. put seams where u wont see them. take u time..

maylar
07-08-2003, 12:01 PM
My methods:

If the box is a cube -
Spray adhesive on one side and the matching area of carpet. Stick them together with about 1" of carpet over the edge. After a couple minutes trim the carpet flush to the edge with a razor knife or sharp scissors. Then spray the other 3 sides and the carpet, being careful not to get adhesive on the show-side of the carpet cuz it's a ****** to clean off. The carpet should be about 2" wider and an inch longer than required. Then I roll the box onto the carpet keeping it taught and watching for wrinkles. Trim the carpet from all sides flush with the box edges.

Then cut individual pieces for the other 2 sides and apply them separately. Again watch for overspray (mask with wax paper or something. Trim edges and cut the carpet from the speaker hole.

For irregular shaped boxes I'll "wrap" the box on as many sides as possible and individually carpet the odd surfaces. It makes more seams but it works.

lAciDl
07-12-2003, 02:42 AM
i got a ? for when i build my box, the cut-out for the sub, do u carpet all way to it so the sub screws down over it, or do u cut away room so that there isnt any carpet under the subs surround

paikiah
07-12-2003, 12:34 PM
i got a ? for when i build my box, the cut-out for the sub, do u carpet all way to it so the sub screws down over it, or do u cut away room so that there isnt any carpet under the subs surround

you can do both, but having the carpeting under the sub gasket would allow a wider margin of error. It would be pretty hard to match the lines perfectly. Of course, having the hole routed to sink the subs in would be fantastic, but not everyone has a router.

Therefore, cut the carpet out the same size as the cutout. Then you can apply weather-stripping ON the sub itself,(don't think it'll stick too well on the carpet) to make sure you get a proper seal. :)

BDIDDY
07-12-2003, 02:06 PM

Actually I have never done it but I guess you could just cut a X in the hole and then put the sub over it. Whatever you do it doesnt matter because the sub will be covering it.