PDA

View Full Version : Zune to Head Unit Options

djtech2k
10-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I am considering putting in a Kenwood DNX8120 or DDX812 into my 2007 Mercedes C230 Sport. I want to use my Zune to play music and I want it to be good quality, so none of that FM Mod crap.

What options do I have? I see these units have a USB cable, but I dont think it will work. I dont think it has an aux input.

Can anyone shed any light on it?

crazy4life
10-10-2008, 01:14 PM
You will need a head unit that has a aux port. I know there are a couple head units that accept zune's but in my opinion you would be better off with a head unit with aux in and buy a car charger for the zune like i'm doing.

djtech2k
10-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Thats what I figured. Now I just need to find out if those 2 units have it.

crazy4life
10-10-2008, 01:17 PM
They both have aux imputs :)

djtech2k
10-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Any idea what units do control the zune?

big_mofo
10-11-2008, 12:26 AM
simple.

zune core by kicker but its under soundgate. 70 bux. charge an play. sonicelectronix has it. an i just noticed that we just started carrying it(CircuitCity)

djtech2k
10-11-2008, 12:38 AM
I think I can just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable for my zune and run it into the aux inputs in the kenwood instead of buying that whole kit.

It would be nice to be able to control the zune thru the head unit though.

gunz4me
10-11-2008, 01:01 AM
I ditched my Zune for an Ipod.

djtech2k
10-11-2008, 11:09 AM

I would never do that.

SethPhillips
10-11-2008, 02:16 PM
simple.

zune core by kicker but its under soundgate. 70 bux. charge an play. sonicelectronix has it. an i just noticed that we just started carrying it(CircuitCity)

i have one for sale Brand New in my sig

I would never do that.
x2 billion.

djtech2k
10-11-2008, 07:21 PM
i have one for sale Brand New in my sig

x2 billion.

Ok, so the soundgate thing....it used regular RCA inputs and will take a Zune 3.5mm cable into it? I want to use the Kenwood DNX8120, so will it allow me to control it on the head unit?

I may be interested in buying it from you.

I guess I am trying to find out why its better than buying the Zune 3.5mm to RCA cable and a Zune car charger.

crazy4life
10-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I dont know why somebody would want to pass up the zune's interface and use there deck to control the music.

djtech2k
10-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Well I am only considering it for ease. I love the zune interface, but I am just thinking about how much easier it is to read on a 7" screen rather than my 120gb zune screen....particularly in the sunlight.

gunz4me
10-12-2008, 12:45 AM
Don't get me wrong, I liked the Zune.... It just ****** because I couldn't plug it into a Head Unit. My Alpine/Ipod combination has replaced using a CD changer.

djtech2k
10-12-2008, 01:07 AM
I just could not live with myself if I bought anything that was Apple. Yuck....it puts a bad taste in my mouth to say it :(

joker0907
10-12-2008, 10:17 PM
i was told that if you use ur ipod u loose a lot of the sound quality... is that true or is there a way not too cuz im not going to buy a 120 gig ipod if its not going to have good sound quality.

djtech2k
10-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Ok, so the soundgate thing....it used regular RCA inputs and will take a Zune 3.5mm cable into it? I want to use the Kenwood DNX8120, so will it allow me to control it on the head unit?

I may be interested in buying it from you.

I guess I am trying to find out why its better than buying the Zune 3.5mm to RCA cable and a Zune car charger.

Anyone know this answer? Whats the difference between having the soundgate thing vs just buying the zune cables and car charger?

meh
10-19-2008, 09:37 PM
i was told that if you use ur ipod u loose a lot of the sound quality... is that true or is there a way not too cuz im not going to buy a 120 gig ipod if its not going to have good sound quality.

you have l5's. you are already lacking on soundquality buddy.

gunz4me
10-20-2008, 01:52 AM

Uh, there are some high quality interfaces for home theater systems, therefore I would be willing to bet the ipod is good enough! I started ripping my CDs to Apple Lossless and I couldn't have been happier with the results. CDs in my cars are almost a thing of the past!

LazyRider
10-20-2008, 01:15 PM

I hear it depends on the quality of the songs you rip. Some people say their ipod sounds just as good if not better than their cd's.

Mr. C
10-20-2008, 02:08 PM
I hear it depends on the quality of the songs you rip. Some people say their ipod sounds just as good if not better than their cd's.

This is true at least in my case. Most every song on my iPod sounds as good as the equivalent CD. There are a select few that the CD sounds a touch better, but for those few songs, the convenience of carrying just my iPod vs. multiple books of cd's is golden.

djtech2k
10-20-2008, 02:31 PM
wow you guys hijacked my thread.

This thread is supposed to be about zune into car options. I want nothing to do with anything iPod. LOL

So does anyone know what the diff is between the soundgate thing and just getting the zune wiring to RCA cable?

ipodlove
10-20-2008, 02:36 PM
make your own. there are like i think 3-4 video on youtube. look up on youtube. zune clarion also zune pioneer. the clarion it a nice one he made.

ipodlove
10-20-2008, 02:39 PM
another think. if you get the soundgate one you either control with zune its self or buy a wired remote :( too me both ****. i would rather have wireless

stereo jock
10-21-2008, 10:32 AM
This is the best deck to use with the Zune.

http://www.expressionsofstyle.com/ptdvdmo.html

The best way to connect the Zune is by using the Audio/Video Inputs on the back of this deck. You don't want to use the Aux input if you can help it. The video inputs gives you the ability play videos, slideshows, movies, and music directly form the Zune to the screen on your headunit. The sound quality is awesome, and the picture quality nothing short of HD. The Zune is way better for use in Car Audio the the ipod, the sound is better, video quality better and the interface is more user friendly. I had an ipod, and a friend hooked his Zune up to my deck and the difference was phenomenal and I was a dedicated ipod fan. SO whatever you do keep the Zune, it'll make your system sound a lot better.

dustyshot
04-02-2010, 09:15 PM
This is the best deck to use with the Zune.

Expressions of Style Your Car Audio/Stereo Connection EOS Car Audio (http://www.expressionsofstyle.com/ptdvdmo.html)

The best way to connect the Zune is by using the Audio/Video Inputs on the back of this deck. You don't want to use the Aux input if you can help it. The video inputs gives you the ability play videos, slideshows, movies, and music directly form the Zune to the screen on your headunit. The sound quality is awesome, and the picture quality nothing short of HD. The Zune is way better for use in Car Audio the the ipod, the sound is better, video quality better and the interface is more user friendly. I had an ipod, and a friend hooked his Zune up to my deck and the difference was phenomenal and I was a dedicated ipod fan. SO whatever you do keep the Zune, it'll make your system sound a lot better.

I clicked on link you have there and it shows nothing of what you are talking about. It shows main page. I love using my aux-in with cable with zune 120 and zune HD. It sounds like I am listening to cds. I will not pay more for stuff put in back of stereo to have same sound quality. That just me I guess. Plus there are holders that will hold device on you vents. Save time and money for same quality.