PDA

View Full Version : mixing components?

BPhiz
10-10-2008, 01:30 AM
If I had the crossovers and the tweets from a Focal 165KF component set, would it be possible for me to buy a 6.5 or 6.75 to replace it? It wont be for a serious audiophile, just looking for an upgrade for factory speakers. Is this stupid?

It will have 300/2 going to it so I'm hoping to get a fairly decent pair and there is no subwoofer in the car, so these will need to pick up the slack. $200-$300. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ENDER_XVICM
10-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Get a CDT satnet crossover. 200-300 will get you a nice one.

lyttleviet
10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
for 200-300 you could get some brand new set of components that are REALLY nice.

dftnz7
10-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Yes it is entirely possible to splice another mid into that network.

For instance, before I was able to acquire an amplifier capable of running my setup in active mode, I ran first a set of ID CTX components. When I blew the mids I bought ID OEM mids and used them in the same passive Xover. They sounded great. Then I bought a set of VIFA XT25 tweets to replace the CTX tweets and also used them for about a week with the passives. Which also sounded good.

The main thing to make this work is to find a mid with a very smooth rolloff in the upper midrange frequencies since nearly all passive crossovers let the mid roll off naturally rather than low passing it somewhere in that 2.0 - 3.5khz region like most do in active setups. So you want to avoid a metal cone woofer for sure, and probably poly cones, since both tend to exhibit rather nasty breakup nodes in the upper midrange.

I would suggest getting the ID OEM mids from Hessdawg on the forum here. They are $90 shipped, and can't be beat for that price. They can take a beating and lots of power, yet are very efficient, have excellent midbass potential, and are very easy to listen to.

The reason they will work well for you in this setup is that they have a smooth rolloff and can play out to 3.5khz or better very easily, which makes them mate well with the small format tweeter in a passive set, which is generally crossed fairly high.

I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have if you want to PM me. Hope this helps!

helotaxi
10-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Most decent passive units low pass the mids.