PDA

View Full Version : 2001 GMC Yukon XL Speaker Upgrade?

WildmanVTX
10-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I have said vehicle and I'm going to do a speaker upgrade then eventually a high powered deck. I'm not wanting to get to crazy but I like my music and I like it to sound good. I don't have the Bose system but it has the 6.75" woofer with seperate component tweeter in the front doors, 6.75" woofer in rear doors, factory sub in the back, tweeters in the very back corner rear pillars. As for now I have two sets of Alpine SPR-17C 2-ways coming. My question is, can I just pop these in and be ok or do I need to do anything special since I guess I have seperate components going on and I'm sure there are some filters or bass blockers from the factory? Do you think it will sound okay if I keep the rear tweeters hooked up or basically not touch the wiring? I do plan to keep the factory sub. I just want to make sure I'm getting the full range of sound and not jut mids and lows. I'm not an expert on this stuff and this seemed to be a good place to start asking. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

timaishu
10-11-2008, 02:57 AM
If your factory tweeter are anything like how mine were. They will have a highpass filter wired into them. So you should be fine just putting in your 2-ways without having to worry about your factory tweeters.

smgreen20
10-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Even in the lowest end factory system from GM there's still the tweet and mid in the door for that year. It's a simple passive xover, 6 dB affair. Mid has a natural roll off.

Behind the door panel find the speaker wires that come in from the boot. Tap in there before it splits. Put the passive xover in there then run new wire from the pass.xover to the mid/tweet.

To mount the tweet in the door, you'll want to do it ON the door panel. Bend the tabs on the back of the factory speaker grille and pull the grille off. Wrap up the grilles and mail them to me...LOL, I'm in need of a set. Pop out the factory tweet and trace their shape on 1/4 wood and cut out. Trace new tweet shape on that 1/4 cutout piece and then cut out the hole for the tweet. Mount the tweet to the baffle. You can then just simply screw the baffle to the door over the factory tweet hole. Replace grilles if you didn't send them to me.

A simple 6 1/2 mid will drop right in the factory opening in the door. You'll have to make your own mounting holes as the factory mid clips in. You'll see.

WildmanVTX
10-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks guys! If the speakers ever show up, I'll dig into it and see what happens.