PDA

View Full Version : Do midrange boxes need to be sealed?

RcRacerDrew
07-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Im about to start my new system and Im going to order some OZ Audio Matrix 180 components for my Ford Explorer. Is there an advantage to putting the midrange in a sealed enclosure as opposed to the free air type system that is stock (just mounting the speaker in the door). Im thinking it wouldnt be too hard to make a small fiberglass box to house my mids in the door using the stock location....WinISD says I only need a .02 cu ft box for these mids. Will this be worth it? Thanks!

Gauntlet
07-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Most midrange speakers are designed to work in free-air applications...but a lot of people seal them for a tighter response.

paikiah
07-06-2003, 07:42 PM
ramos says his mids performed better in a sealed baffle.

I remember reading in MBtech that all their speakers are designed for free-air, therefore, it might not sound as good in a sealed enclosure.

But going by my theories, I'm sure the mids can handle more power if they were in a sealed application.

DaBaller504
07-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Most people tend to go free air, first off it's easier and usually reccomended but a sealed enclosure may give you a tighter response and create more pure sound. You just have to try and see.

RcRacerDrew
07-07-2003, 08:27 AM
Whats the best way to build a door enclosure? Just use fiberglass or make a mini MDF box or what?

paikiah
07-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by RcRacerDrew
Whats the best way to build a door enclosure? Just use fiberglass or make a mini MDF box or what?

MDF might be too thick for your doors, so fiberglass might be a better optio. As it's small, you should be able to get accurate volume raeadings by filling up with water. :)

RcRacerDrew
07-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Im running the OZs with about 40 watts... A PCX-440 is running them. Im wondering if they would be more efficient without a box?