PDA

View Full Version : how to power a dvd player or ps2

newyorkjets00
10-05-2008, 07:00 PM
ok i wana hook a dvd player or ps2 up to my screen in my dash i was just wondering how do i power it? i know you can get those cigarette converters but is there another way to power it??

Tehgregzor
10-05-2008, 07:33 PM
ok i wana hook a dvd player or ps2 up to my screen in my dash i was just wondering how do i power it? i know you can get those cigarette converters but is there another way to power it??

Just hard wire one of those Power Inverters.

Like this:

http://www.techforless.com/cimages/17701.JPG

newyorkjets00
10-05-2008, 07:43 PM
i dont want one of those stickin out tho... how do u hard wire it?

qkassidyw
10-15-2008, 05:48 PM
i dont want one of those stickin out tho... how do u hard wire it?
You need to get some type of inverter, you can run power directly to the battery to hardwire it.

You can normally find somewhere to hide it and then get a power plate and mount the plate somewhere and run power from the output of the inverter to the power plate.

CadillacMatt
10-15-2008, 06:58 PM
You need to get some type of inverter, you can run power directly to the battery to hardwire it.

You can normally find somewhere to hide it and then get a power plate and mount the plate somewhere and run power from the output of the inverter to the power plate.

x2, but make sure you fuse it properly.

jluv
11-13-2008, 03:26 PM
There are a lot of small 12-volt DVD players on the market, and many of them are dirt cheap. I have a single din Directed Electronics unit with a built in TV tuner. Actually, I just pulled it out of my install.

There is also some way to hardwire the PS2, from what I hear.

I use a 750 watt invertor with two outlets and it runs both playstations simultaneously with no problems at all. It's mounted on the back of my rear center console (custom built). In the past, I had it mounted under the passenger seat. It's not very big. I ran power and ground from distro blocks just like I did for my amps. The invertor didn't have a visible fuse, so I added one inline. Piece of cake.

jmanpc
11-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Just get one of the cigarette plug inverters and use one of these:

http://www.parts-express.com/images/item_standard/265-570_s.jpg

You can get them at any auto parts store or Wal-Mart for under 5 bucks.

Just hardwire it in and hide it. Voila.

jluv
11-13-2008, 05:13 PM

LOL! That's ghetto!

It's not any more difficult or expensive to do it the right way with an invertor that's made to be hard-wired.

Mike465
11-13-2008, 05:31 PM
All you need to do is buy a 450 watt power inverter and install it like an amp.

Mike465
11-13-2008, 05:33 PM

So explain to me how you are going to go form 12volt to 110volt with this?

jluv
11-14-2008, 09:51 AM
So explain to me how you are going to go form 12volt to 110volt with this?

I think he's suggesting to buy an invertor that uses a cig plug, plug it into that adapter, and then hardwire the adapter.

Maybe he's not aware that there are plenty of invertors readily available that have posts where you just hardwire them directly (like an amp). That's the only way to go, imo, unless it's just for a one time use or something.

I got a real nice one at Fry's a few years ago that was around 1,000 watts and had 3 outlets, but it was stolen when they jacked all my stuff in 2006. I replaced it with a cheaper Black and Decker model that is 750 watts and has two outlets. I think I paid around $50 for it. I ran 8ga power and ground and a 40 amp inline fuse. Works perfectly.

jco1385
11-14-2008, 09:53 AM
:woot:

got an 800w inverter for $40 last night. gonna run teh 360 like it aint ****

Mike465
11-18-2008, 08:41 PM
I think he's suggesting to buy an invertor that uses a cig plug, plug it into that adapter, and then hardwire the adapter.

Maybe he's not aware that there are plenty of invertors readily available that have posts where you just hardwire them directly (like an amp). That's the only way to go, imo, unless it's just for a one time use or something.

I got a real nice one at Fry's a few years ago that was around 1,000 watts and had 3 outlets, but it was stolen when they jacked all my stuff in 2006. I replaced it with a cheaper Black and Decker model that is 750 watts and has two outlets. I think I paid around $50 for it. I ran 8ga power and ground and a 40 amp inline fuse. Works perfectly.

You have the right ideo but using the other guys method would result in to much surrent draw and would a: pop fuses left and right or b: cause an electrical fire because the cig adapter wires would heat up real quick

bigaudiofanatic
11-18-2008, 09:13 PM
What you could do is take an inverter and wire it up in a hidden location than wire a male type plug to a long piece of electrical wire than the other end take and wire it. Take a home type wall outlet two plug or one and find a flat spot in a easy location for use and cut a nice hole and install the outlet "makes it look kind of stock" and wire it up there to make it look even more stock get spray paint that looks like the interior color and spray paint. If you would like more detailed info pm me. I have done this in my friends van for his kids and it turned out very nice.

Ferendon
11-18-2008, 09:17 PM
:woot:

got an 800w inverter for $40 last night. gonna run teh 360 like it aint ****
Good luck with that. 800w is barely enough to run a 360, and nowhere near enough for a PS3. We do this **** at work all the time, and there's an 875w inverter that we use to push Xbox 360s, and every now and then, even it kicks into protect mode. Also, make sure plug the device in before you power up the inverter.

bigaudiofanatic
11-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Good luck with that. 800w is barely enough to run a 360, and nowhere near enough for a PS3. We do this **** at work all the time, and there's an 875w inverter that we use to push Xbox 360s, and every now and then, even it kicks into protect mode. Also, make sure plug the device in before you power up the inverter.

I happen to agree with him "I am a mechanic at a local warehouse" that will barley run on a 800w inverter.

jluv
11-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Do the 360s and PS3s really pull that much more power than the PS2s? Good to know.

The PS2s only pull about 5 amps each. I've never had a problem running two of them simultaneously with my relatively inexpensive 750 watt invertor.

bigaudiofanatic
11-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Ya but the PS3 HAS A HARD DRIVE MASSIVE GRAPHICS CARD AND A LOT OF OTHER THINGS GOING ON IN ITSELF.

standbackimapro
11-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Get an Inverter, hardwire it into the car, Tuck it up under the dash or somthing, and just run your wires

ShiningBuick
11-23-2008, 04:28 PM
If you know what voltages the wires are going into it you don't need an invertor, just properly placed resistors or step down transformers to install it.

BoxdGM
11-23-2008, 05:50 PM
i ran a 12v acc power wire to the toggle switch so it will turn on and off with the key instead of the on/off switch on the inverter.

just use a dmm and check to see which side of the switch has no power with the inverter hooked up but not turned on, and run acc power to that side

ShiningBuick
11-23-2008, 09:03 PM
This'll save you money in the long run.

http://www.oznium.com/forum/topic6242-highlight-ps2

Read the topic.. it should be pretty much the same for a 360 as a PS2.

allstarfb7
12-15-2008, 10:21 PM
so is this a relatively easy project for me to do if i have some experience? i installed my entire system and my w505 myself so i know the basics. so installing a slim ps2 in the glove compartment relatively simple for me? and also does it look good on uch a small screen ? (7")

qkassidyw
12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
If you know what voltages the wires are going into it you don't need an invertor, just properly placed resistors or step down transformers to install it.

Your dumb....the PS3 takes 120 VAC and the car is 12-14 VDC; you are basically telling him to electrically engineer a power inverter....

jco1385
12-17-2008, 12:51 PM

it ran the xbox, and the camera charger, and the phone charger, and the xbox controller battery charger deal.

never shut off once

yz_gt69
12-19-2008, 03:18 PM
What you could do is take an inverter and wire it up in a hidden location than wire a male type plug to a long piece of electrical wire than the other end take and wire it. Take a home type wall outlet two plug or one and find a flat spot in a easy location for use and cut a nice hole and install the outlet "makes it look kind of stock" and wire it up there to make it look even more stock get spray paint that looks like the interior color and spray paint. If you would like more detailed info pm me. I have done this in my friends van for his kids and it turned out very nice.

ghetto style! in addition, sentences full of caps (your later posts) are annoying and not helpful. then again, maybe your caps lock got bumped.

anyway, just do it correctly as jluv and mike465 have explained. a little extra time is worth it for the long run, not to mention potential safety hazards

allstarfb7
12-29-2008, 01:07 AM
would this be sufficient for simply running a slim ps2 in my truck?

"VECTOR 700 WATT MAXX SST POWER INVERTER -- Converts 12 Volt DC Power To 115 Volt Household Power, Features Soft Start Technology, Overload Protection, Short Circuit Protection, Low Battery Alarm And Auto Shut Down"

and also how would i wire it? and would it be safe to install it in the engine compartment?
sorry if these are all dumb questions, and thank you for your time

Lexoboi
01-11-2009, 12:04 AM
yeah all u need is a inverter dats how i got mines set up..yes at the cig. slot is going to poking out but i just hind the inverter part of it.

ShiningBuick
01-11-2009, 01:47 AM
Your dumb....the PS3 takes 120 VAC and the car is 12-14 VDC; you are basically telling him to electrically engineer a power inverter....

What the hell are YOU smoking? :wow: You ever look at the big box on the power cable for a slimline PS2? What the hell do you think is in there? Electronics don't run on 120VAC, they'd fry. They take 120VAC and turn it into smaller DC voltages. You wouldn't need to engineer anything because there's not inverting to be done.. simply taking your system voltage and lowering it to what's needed by the unit...

Take your computer, for example. NOTHING in the computer runs on 120VAC... 120 VAC goes into the power supply and comes out as, say, 12v and 5v in the molex connectors case, and much tinier voltages used for all the vairous other chips, etc.

I guaran-****ing-tee you that if your PS3, Xbox360, etc, at some point, takes the 120VAC and turns it into some sort of lower DC voltage. If the transformer is external , then you can just measure what the various input voltages are going into the unit.. AND THEY'RE NOT 120VAC.

If they take 120VAC in and convert it with an internal powersupply, then you'll have to measure what's coming out of it.. but that might get a bit hairy.

At any rate... go get re-edumacated on electrical theory.

120VAC directly powering sensitive electronic components.. that's a good one. :laugh: