PDA

View Full Version : Q Logic bandpass.....not what I want?

Bobyota
07-03-2003, 11:24 PM
I'm kinda a noob, so excuse any ignorance :crazy:

Anyway, I was basically given a bandpass Q Logic box for my car. Put two JBL 10's in it (again, given), and a small Kenwood 6485 4/3/2 channel (is bridged for 2 channel and prolly putting out 75x2 lol).

It gets a little loud for what it is I think, which I'm guessing may be due to the bandpass design? BUT, it seems to favor certain frequencies.....which is not good sq to me. I'd rather give up some db for some sq anyday and I'm beginning to wonder if only a sealed box will give the flat frequency response I'm looking for.

It's not only what I hear from this bandpass but also some stuff I think I saw on JL's site. It showed a flat frequency response for a sealed box and both the ported and bandpass examples they showed had spots where the db's were higher.

I listen to rock and I wanna hear a bass guitar sound right. I don't want certain notes to stand out, I want them as even as possable. So is a sealed box more suited for me? I'm sure y'all will need more info, so just ask :cool:

Bobyota
07-03-2003, 11:37 PM
Cool :cool:

I was thinking that IF I did ported, I'd have to tune pretty low. But I'm not sure how low. I read that the low E note on a bass is 41 hz. Most of the music I listen to has notes quite a bit loewr, like a low B and A. Not sure about what hz range they'd fall in, but I'd like to know if anyone has that type of info :D

Got one more question, what would be a decent sub to be powered by 160w rms and have about .7 ft^3 in a sealed box? Looking for something somewhat inexpensive as this is just going in my old better truck :o I'd like something with sq in mind.....but then again I don't know if you can even measure sq scientifically or if I'd just opinions on a question like that :crazy: I have been looking at maybe two ED 10K's.....

Bobyota
07-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Well I'd be giving the 10K's 160w a piece, not 70w ;)

The box would be about 1.4-1.5 ft^3, so about .7 per sub.

Another noob question, but would each sub need it's own space? Meaning I'd need to put a piece of woof in the middle of the box so each sub has it's own .7 ft^3 worth of air space? Or should the bo be open inside? Guess I've never really payed much attention to boxes until now since I'm contimplating building my own :banghead:

Bobyota
07-04-2003, 01:37 AM
Opps, guess I made that a little confusing. I won't use that lil Kenwood. Gonna use two Alpine 3548's bridged to 160x1 @ 4 ohms (need to find out if it'll go 2 ohm mono). Sorry for not making sense :crazy:

What model Infinity's are you refering to? You mean Circuit City subs can be good? :eek: :D

Bobyota
07-04-2003, 01:58 AM
Jmac, thanks a lot for your help :D Could you give an idea on which Infinity sub I should look at? They seem to be priced right....I guess their top line is the kappa perfects and Ikesound has them for around $150.....hhhmmm.....

Bobyota
07-04-2003, 02:14 AM
Well looks like price would be similar. I e mailed ED the other day and they said 160w would be fine. May boil down to a SQ battle ;)

Miller
07-07-2003, 01:44 PM
My friend has one of the Q-Logic bandpass boxes....He has 2 12" type-R's in it and it surprises me ALOT. His Type-R's get REAL loud with that bandpass.....also the fact that it is being pushed by a Kicker 1200.1, but the bandpass was surprisingly loud in my opinion