PDA

View Full Version : best way to cut out a 12" hole?

JohnTheRock
07-03-2003, 04:04 AM
what method should i use to cut out an approximately 12" circle in a piece of 3/4" MDF?

i have a drill, jigsaw, circular saw at my disposal

paikiah
07-03-2003, 04:24 AM
If you've got an adjustable hole cutter (that's what I use to cut my cutouts..way clean), just attach it to the drill and pull the trigger.

If not, judging from your toolbox contents, a jig will have to do. :)

ramos
07-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by JohnTheRock
what method should i use to cut out an approximately 12" circle in a piece of 3/4" MDF?

i have a drill, jigsaw, circular saw at my disposal

Well sir if that's what you got to work with I would say go for the jigsaw. Find the center of your hole. Put a nail in the center. Then tie a string to the nail . Measure out half of the cut out diameter. tie a pencil to the other end of the string at the length you need. Then just simply draw your circle using the sting to guide you. Then take it slow and steady with the jigsaw. :)

bumpin_blazer
07-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by ramos
Well sir if that's what you got to work with I would say go for the jigsaw. Find the center of your hole. Put a nail in the center. Then tie a string to the nail . Measure out half of the cut out diameter. tie a pencil to the other end of the string at the length you need. Then just simply draw your circle using the sting to guide you. Then take it slow and steady with the jigsaw. :)

bah your old you should know a compass works better than anything for a perfect circle:D.

adam

Miller
07-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Jigsaw....Just use a compase to draw out your hole then follow it with a Jigsaw, real easy. I used it for my box and it worked out well

bumpin_blazer
07-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Miller
Jigsaw....Just use a compase to draw out your hole then follow it with a Jigsaw, real easy. I used it for my box and it worked out well

copy cat:D.

adam

ramos
07-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by shrinkydinx
despite the name, i really dont think a circular saw will do you much good.

Works great for cutting the box panels. But it would take king kong to make a circular saw cut out a 12" circle :D :)

ramos
07-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by bumpin_blazer
bah your old you should know a compass works better than anything for a perfect circle:D.

adam

That's right. I'm from the old school days before the compass :D :)

bumpin_blazer
07-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Works great for cutting the box panels. But it would take king kong to make a circular saw cut out a 12" circle :D :)

it's hard enoguh to get the bastage back on track when my hand slipped off by like 1/16 of an inch the other day. but then i realized i was using a 12.5" ruler and not a 12" ruler so my board was 1" too short anyway lol.

adam

paikiah
07-03-2003, 12:12 PM
check this out...

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/data/2/5134hole_cutter-med.jpg

you see the metal bar thingy behind the capacitor? That's my hole cutter. Adjustable, no need for drawing lines, etc. Just loosen nut, swing blade to appropriate radius, tighten nut, drill pilot hole. Keep pushing with drill. Voila. Perfect circle.;)

Dirt cheap and accurate too~

bumpin_blazer
07-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
check this out...

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/data/2/5134hole_cutter-med.jpg

you see the metal bar thingy behind the capacitor? That's my hole cutter. Adjustable, no need for drawing lines, etc. Just loosen nut, swing blade to appropriate radius, tighten nut, drill pilot hole. Keep pushing with drill. Voila. Perfect circle.;)

Dirt cheap and accurate too~

mmmm brax:D.

adam

ramos
07-03-2003, 12:22 PM
I just use a circle jig and my trusty bosch router. Perfect circles anytime and everytime :)

paikiah
07-03-2003, 12:35 PM
I just use a circle jig and my trusty bosch router. Perfect circles anytime and everytime :)

that is a big "IF" you own a router already. I don't, and it's so expensive. The hole cutter is a cheaper alternative. Downside is that I can't get that **** gorgeous indents which routers seem to do with ease...:mad:

paikiah
07-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by shrinkydinx
how large of a radius hole can it cut?

about 400mm = 40cm = 15.75"

Alright to use on all subs, excluding 18"... but how often does a person build a box for that? ;)

ramos
07-03-2003, 01:11 PM
That isn't an olfa hole cutter by some odd chance is it ? I have a smaller version that I use for rc car bodies :)

paikiah
07-03-2003, 01:24 PM
That isn't an olfa hole cutter by some odd chance is it ? I have a smaller version that I use for rc car bodies :)

nah, it's a made in china no brand cutter. We get plenty of these around. i guess i'ts not precise to the umpteenth millimeter, but it does get the job done, and really quick too. I'm quite suprised that there aren't that many of these overthat side of the world.

Perhaps someone could become a dealer over there for such items that might interest DIY builders on a budget. After using this cutter, I dont' know why anyone would want to use a jig to cut holes.

(cost is about $20 retail, I guess)

Blades can be replaced ($5), but if using only for MDF, then why bother? just use a grinder and resharpen. :) It's only when cutting aluminium or other types of metal that dual blades need to be used.

Anyway, anyone interested in dealing?

JohnTheRock
07-06-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
nah, it's a made in china no brand cutter. We get plenty of these around. i guess i'ts not precise to the umpteenth millimeter, but it does get the job done, and really quick too. I'm quite suprised that there aren't that many of these overthat side of the world.

Perhaps someone could become a dealer over there for such items that might interest DIY builders on a budget. After using this cutter, I dont' know why anyone would want to use a jig to cut holes.

(cost is about $20 retail, I guess)

Blades can be replaced ($5), but if using only for MDF, then why bother? just use a grinder and resharpen. :) It's only when cutting aluminium or other types of metal that dual blades need to be used.

Anyway, anyone interested in dealing?

i'm interested in buying one...you wanna be a dealer? :)

n0ftInc
07-06-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by JohnTheRock
i'm interested in buying one...you wanna be a dealer? :)
Ditto..:D

paikiah
07-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Well, if the demand was there, I'd have no problem sending this piece of iron to your side of the world. :)

MikeofTulsa
07-06-2003, 09:12 PM
umm....circle jig on a router....easiest way to make a perfect circle

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/254000-254999/254787_61_full.jpg

paikiah
07-06-2003, 09:46 PM
Oh, I'd LOVE to have a router... but things just aren't that cheap (at least over here).

btw, most people, (including me) didn't udnerstand the diagram and explanation given in eatel.net, since I didn't know how the router really works. It was only till I went to the import saloon show that I saw one in action...

here's a pic of a router in action at the show
http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/data/2/5134router-med.jpg

the plexi is the ruler that Mike is talking about. This tool happens to be awesome. It's so dust-free, you can cut wood in your room without much ventilation. Just too **** expensive...

edit: the first pic didn't work, uploaded to gallery to link it