PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass your doors

Biohazard
07-03-2003, 03:41 AM
Ok if you are making a so called "kickpod" type dealy for your doors, do you make it enclosed? or do u just build what you see and have the speakers in no sort of box?

Do you get what i mean?

http://www.sfu.ca/~cfligg/ip14.jpg

like so...are each speaker compartments sepereate??

paikiah
07-03-2003, 03:44 AM
you mean free-air, or seal it off? I've had the notion that component drivers were designed with free-air in mind. It's only when you install specific mid-bass drivers that requires a baffle for better performance that such a box (and should be quite small) is called for.

I read from MBtech that all MB quart's components and coaxials were designed to work in free-air installs. :)

Biohazard
07-03-2003, 03:46 AM
using focals...soo i dunno...and an RE8, but i will cover the 8 in a small little like boy type thing...

paikiah
07-03-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Biohazard
using focals...soo i dunno...and an RE8, but i will cover the 8 in a small little like boy type thing...

well, all the installs I've seen with focals had no enclosure to speak of, just a pod to hold the driver in place. I dunno if you would see improvement with the unit in a sealed box.

As for the RE8...whoa, you drive a 18-wheeler? How do you plan on getting an 8" sub like that on your kickpanel? :confused:

ramos
07-03-2003, 10:05 AM
I personally sealed my focal components. It seems to have tightened up the sound. And makes the low end a little clearer to my ears. I'm using a set of the polyglass :)

Biohazard
07-03-2003, 03:32 PM
hrmmm...i see.....i have the polyglass to so then maybe i will close it off..

as for the RE8's i was gunna try to build it on the door like the picture but i will build the pod first and see if it takes up too much room......

Matador
07-03-2003, 03:55 PM
how would u seal it off? just make n enclosure of any size just as long as it's air tight?

ramos
07-03-2003, 04:35 PM
I used lspcad and help from Mr. Matt Borgardt over at http://www.carsound.com to determine the enclosure size. To seal it off I just simply glassed the back closed once it was the kick panel was mounted. You can do it before you mount it. But I wanted to see what difference it made sound wise. :)

hihoslva
07-09-2003, 12:17 PM
If you run a 3-way component set sealed, it is important to separate the midbass from the midrange.

Just like it's not a good idea to run a 12" and 8" sub sharing sealed arispace, the same is tru for component speakers.

For 2-way comps and non-sealed pods, there is no need to separate the space for each driver. And since tweeters don't reallt have any airspace or air-displacement issues, they can share airspace with just about anything.

Only matters for a 3-way component set run sealed.

~HH