PDA

View Full Version : Best suited headunit???

vroomy
09-28-2008, 03:11 AM
hi, just signed up to this forum. Im after some help and advice as to which headunit to buy for my system. As it is at the moment im running MB Quart QSD 6.5 off a Rockford POWER 800a4 (may go active), 2 IDMAX 12inch subs running off a Rockford BD1000a1. Im after a SQ unit with some real adjustment feature to bring the MB's alive (they are bright and not much midbass) ive had Nakamichi's they sound nice but no feature's to adjust the sound, have not been too impressed with Alpine but i am interested in the IMPRINT? or thought of the PXA701 but i didnt want something too tricky. I mostly use my ipod for music. Ive been looking at such decks as Sony c90, Pioneer P9, Clarion HX-d2, Denon etc. Does Rockford do a SQ deck other than the 8250? If anyone has any input i would appreciate it

WildSebring
09-28-2008, 03:14 AM
I may get flamed..:laugh:

The 9887 is a nice unit, I'm running it....or I'm possibly looking at trying the Pioneer 880prs...

Both look like good choices with plenty of features.. ;)

Ferendon
09-28-2008, 03:28 AM
If you're looking for real SQ, then an iPod is a horrible start. But, in the meantime, the iPod is a great way to get lots of music in a small space, and you might as well get the best you can out of the music you have. Alpine's iPod interface is the best out there, as far as compatibility goes. Some of the Pioneer decks have trouble with certain iPods. Your best bet is to hit up a local retail, like a Car Toys, that will let you plug in your iPod, and actually use it with the deck to find the one you like. Pioneer's EQs are better, IMO, and Kenwood are just the **** along the way. If you're looking for a double DIN, then Kenwood is actually the best out there. Pioneer's newest offerings are all slow and clunky, and in dire need of updates. The 700BT just received a new update that I haven't gotten to try yet, but supposedly, it clears up a lot of the unnecessary load time. The 90BT is just ****. But, the Kenwood DNX8120/DDX812 have a very nice clean interface, good iPod control, a healthy bank of EQ options, and 3 sets of nice strong pre-outs. As far as single DINs, you can't go wrong with the 9884/9886/9887. The 9884 is only 2v pre-outs, but if you move up from there, you'll get better pre-outs. Pioneer Premier 600UB and up are very nice units, once you get used to the ****ing "Rotary Commander". It's great on paper, but a bit cumbersome at first when in practice. The 860MP is one of my personal faves at the moment, though.