PDA

View Full Version : Need some assistance and nailing-down the right HU

ohthexcitement
09-22-2008, 03:03 AM
I've been beating myself up for weeks regarding which HU to snag. I've gone through specs and reviews on 20 or so. Unfortuantely, I work 80hrs/week, and simply can't get the time to research every HU available, and don't want to miss out on anything. I'd greatly appreciate some assistance from some of you diehards.

Minimum requirements:
-Sound quality is of most importance (I know that there's more behind it than the HU).
-As much quality wattage on-board as I can get to move 4 6.5" 62.9i Kappas w/o a separate amp (I know this will limit SQ, but I have to limit weight).
-Good pre-amp voltage for one mono sub amp. No need for front outs.
-MP3, WMA and AAC formats playback.
-ipod friendly (aux input).
-Satelite radio ready.
-I could care less what it looks like.
-I could care less of the MFG date as long as it fits the above criteria.
-I won't talk $ considering that some $4-500 HU's from '05 can be had now refurbed for $100-150.

I've come close to buying both the DEH-P580MP and CQ-C8305U, and just don't feel that I've been through enough HU's to make the decision. What do you fellas recommend?

alex5857
09-22-2008, 03:18 AM
SQ and using a internal amp dont mix.

ohthexcitement
09-22-2008, 12:45 PM
there are alot of head units that fit that criteria man.

just look around and see which one has the features you like.

check crutchfield.com...they have indepth reviews and spec sheets, so you can see all the features of each unit. you'll be able to see if the head unit you want has the features you need.

I've been through the reviews and specs of a boatload of HU's. The problem is that many of the new models have maybe 1-2 reviews, if any at all, and half the time they are not useful (just "great deck", etc). I don't have time to swap them out until satisfied. I figured some of you fellas, seeing as many of you have been through numerous HU's, may be able to offer particular/personal recommendations. I'm not asking you to go do research for me.

ohthexcitement
09-22-2008, 12:49 PM
SQ and using a internal amp dont mix.

Understood. There is a difference between many HU's, however. My sub and large amp are killing my weight as it is. I'd much prefer not to add more weight.

redfred18t
09-22-2008, 12:59 PM
instead of getting rear components, just do the front and you could probably find a small amplifier to do the job if those speakers dont require much juice.

I just bought an arc mini off the forums and it will do about 75x2 rms @ 4 ohm, which should be enough for those speakers.

The best thing is that it weighs like 3 pounds and its size is no bigger than a paperback novel

edit: here is mine

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/redfred18t/stereo/IMG_0286.jpg

ohthexcitement
09-22-2008, 03:10 PM
instead of getting rear components, just do the front and you could probably find a small amplifier to do the job if those speakers dont require much juice.

I just bought an arc mini off the forums and it will do about 75x2 rms @ 4 ohm, which should be enough for those speakers.

The best thing is that it weighs like 3 pounds and its size is no bigger than a paperback novel

Well that's a heck of a response. Picture and all. Much appreciated!

I'd prefer all or none with the components, as I want a balanced system for this vehicle (quad cab truck - passengers). I already have the components. If I could find a quality 4 x 75wrms amp under 5lbs, I could deal with that, and would just shop for good pre-amp outputs. I've yet to come across one, however. Size isn't an issue, as my dash is pretty much hollow behind it. It's just the weight. I am @ 100lbs weight-tax as it is. Of course, that's child's play for some of you crazies, but my goal is a little different w/ this.

redfred18t
09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
just curious, if you have a quad cab truck, why would you be worried about weight? I mean just having 1 passenger in the back would outweigh a relatively large amplifier, even if that passenger is a kid.

ohthexcitement
09-22-2008, 05:12 PM
just curious, if you have a quad cab truck, why would you be worried about weight? I mean just having 1 passenger in the back would outweigh a relatively large amplifier, even if that passenger is a kid.

It's a mulit-purpose race truck @ just over 2900lbs w/ 215lbs of me in it. I need to be able to haul 4 average passengers on occasion w/o putting me over the chassis' weigh limits. Seeing as I'm already beyond it, I cannot afford more weight at this point. I have my sub setup complete and components in-hand. I just need a new HU.

eharri3
09-22-2008, 07:46 PM
One HU might put out 22 watts, one might put out 24 or 25. Really after you get to a certain level of HU, I think they all sound about the same until install and other equipment come into the picture.Comparing RMS wattage between HUs is really kind of pointless, as is feeding quality components 1/3rd the RMS power they need. Features and usability are the more important things to look for so really its as simple as taking your list of features that are important to you and looking for a decent brand name HU that has them all. There are any number of Alpines, Pioneers, and Kenwoods for a decent price, just go to a Best Buy and play with them all until you decide which one has all that stuff and is easy to use. They're all right there for you to mess with.

I am an Alpine man myself. My 9883 is decent but if Id have gone with a 9887. I also know there's a Pioneer at Best Buy with 3 4 v preamp outs for 130 bucks or Ive had my eye on.

The better speakers tend to need power to sound good. To really bring out the sound you need decent loudness out of them so you can more clearly hear the details in the music. I've been there' done that, feeding 100 watt components with a 37 watt and it was still just 'so-so' SQ for me.

ohthexcitement
09-22-2008, 08:34 PM
One HU might put out 22 watts, one might put out 24 or 25. Really after you get to a certain level of HU, I think they all sound about the same until install and other equipment come into the picture.Comparing RMS wattage between HUs is really kind of pointless, as is feeding quality components 1/3rd the RMS power they need. Features and usability are the more important things to look for so really its as simple as taking your list of features that are important to you and looking for a decent brand name HU that has them all. There are any number of Alpines, Pioneers, and Kenwoods for a decent price, just go to a Best Buy and play with them all until you decide which one has all that stuff and is easy to use. They're all right there for you to mess with.

I am an Alpine man myself. My 9883 is decent but if Id have gone with a 9887. I also know there's a Pioneer at Best Buy with 3 4 v preamp outs for 130 bucks or Ive had my eye on.

The better speakers tend to need power to sound good. To really bring out the sound you need decent loudness out of them so you can more clearly hear the details in the music. I've been there' done that, feeding 100 watt components with a 37 watt and it was still just 'so-so' SQ for me.

Makes total sense. I figured forcing 2ohms from the HU would pep it up a little, though (before seeing that they're technically 2.7ohm...). I'm just trying to get around having to add another heavy amp and wiring. I didn't think to poke around Best Buy. I may just do that. Thanks!

ohthexcitement
09-23-2008, 04:38 AM
If no one has any objections over the DEH-P5000UB, I may just pull the trigger (getting ancy). And, I must be losing my mind here, but I might alter the setup, give-in to the amped components idea and just try to somehow shed more weight elsewhere. If I did so, it'd be something of this sort:

-DEH-P5000UB
-PG RSD 6.5 comps front/rear
-2* Cadence SQA-4's (around 180rms per door @ 12.5v)
-Kicker KX1200.1 (1150rms x1 @1ohm @ 12.5v)
-10" L7 (wired for 1ohm) I know that there are better SQ subs out there, I've just been busy focusing on the rest of the system.

khanhfat
09-26-2008, 01:16 AM

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/redfred18t/stereo/IMG_0286.jpg

If no one has any objections over the DEH-P5000UB, I may just pull the trigger (getting ancy). And, I must be losing my mind here, but I might alter the setup, give-in to the amped components idea and just try to somehow shed more weight elsewhere. If I did so, it'd be something of this sort:

-DEH-P5000UB
-PG RSD 6.5 comps front/rear
-2* Cadence SQA-4's (around 180rms per door @ 12.5v)
-Kicker KX1200.1 (1150rms x1 @1ohm @ 12.5v)
-10" L7 (wired for 1ohm) I know that there are better SQ subs out there, I've just been busy focusing on the rest of the system.

Whats' your budget really? If you want SQ just get ones that has 24 bit processors alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse all have them for around 350$ ish if you want XM extra module are available and will add up 500$ .

Then it comes to amp and sub which is hard cause it depends on your tastes... loooks like you want to spend around under 200$ for comps so i don't know anything that's good in that price range .

Loose that Cadence amp and get something really reliable and last you longer.

State your budget so others can help you in more detail . :D do it right the first time even thogh it costs more but all worth it for the long run sand saves you bunch.

ohthexcitement
09-26-2008, 04:50 AM
Already taken care of (altered from prior configuration):

-16v batt/alt/cap
-deh-p5000ub HU
-2 sets od 6.5 PG comps
-zx650.4 (around 150*4rms for the PG's)
-1*12" SI Mag D2 (V4 - wired for 1ohm load) 1.8 sealed, down-firing (I know I'll lose a pinch of SQ firing down, but in Atlanta, I need to hide my junk from thieves - even the PG's and HU will be hidden once the vehicle is shut-off/parked)
-kx1200.1 (around 1600rms - obviously for the Mag)

While I ordered them prior, I've decided against the SQA-4's due to output @ 16v. I'd be way overkill for wattage for the PG's, and it'd be unnecesary weight (2amps vs the one chosen). I may upgrade the HU from this at some point, but I don't see the need at this point. It's going to handle everything I need. The p6000ub would've been nice, but @ another $80-100 just for the display and minor EQ tweak, I don't see it as necessary. This system will be comparable or molest everything else in my race class. Good enough for me for now.

khanhfat
09-26-2008, 09:20 AM
16V alternator will killls all your electricity parts :(