PDA

View Full Version : Does the Alpine IDA-X100 really have digital in from iPod?

ghart999
09-16-2008, 02:49 PM
This is through USB and not Full Speed cable.

Some say yes.

Some say its not possible to get digital out from iPod without massive internal hardware changes.

Thoughts?

I just want to get the facts straight on this one.

qkassidyw
09-18-2008, 04:12 AM
This is through USB and not Full Speed cable.

Some say yes.

Some say its not possible to get digital out from iPod without massive internal hardware changes.

Thoughts?

I just want to get the facts straight on this one.

I am almost positive it is a digital connection because you MUST use Alpines iPod harness and I remember reading that all of the D/A conversion is done by the alpine and not the iPod...

BUT, if you change the EQ on the iPod you can hear the differences when connected to the headunit which could mean it is not a digital connection.

buggsson
09-18-2008, 11:00 PM
I've just checked Apples web pages and the iPod does not have digital out, but some Googling reveals that you can have it modified for approx. 2000 USD to have it digitalized, nice price indeed!

The iDA-X200 manual says that when the iPod docking cable is used, you cannot change settings on the iPod.

ghart999
09-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I've just checked Apples web pages and the iPod does not have digital out, but some Googling reveals that you can have it modified for approx. 2000 USD to have it digitalized, nice price indeed!

The iDA-X200 manual says that when the iPod docking cable is used, you cannot change settings on the iPod.

Apple will not admit this is possible. However they have licensed the digital rights to both Wadia and Alpine, from my understanding.